Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kids with guns

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default kids with guns

I saw a kid walk by yesterday carrying a .22 rifle. The woods are public around this small subdivision. This small kid was 10 so they say. He was shooting a short distance away with no supervision. This made me nervous considering how far bullets travel. At what age should kids be turnned loose with guns? What about them required to be a hunters ed graduate or gun saefty class?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have an air rifle. It looks like a 22 and sure as loud as a 22. Is it possible the kid carried an air rifle instead of real thing?

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Guns- Age 9

Firearms
    Supervised- I was age 5
    Unsupervised age 16
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

With today's airguns, they are just as deadly as a .22. I personally got to hunt with a 20 ga when I was 12 yr old. This was well after a lot of supervision. However, I wasn't around a bunch of houses in a subdivision, that is for sure. I was in the middle of the woods behind lock and key. Everyone knew exactly where I was at all times and they stayed away from the area I was in. (Except my dad or whoever I was hunting with at the time. They would simply be right down the road listening for me to shoot.) Even with this being said, I will have a hard time letting my daughters hunt by themselves when they turn 12

Post Thanks / Like

Not to say there are not any mature children out there but I would not turn any of the ten year olds I know loose with a firearm.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S View Post
    Not to say there are not any mature children out there but I would not turn any of the ten year olds I know loose with a firearm.
    Scott
    Same here.

Post Thanks / Like

I think 12 y.o. is the earliest some kid should be permitted to hunt with a .22 and only if its a single-shot. And only if the kid has proven enough maturity and learned some safety practices by proving those practices with an adult before being allowed to use a real gun.

Not all 12 y.o.'s qualify, some 16 y.o.'s wouldn't either. Matter of fact, some adults shouldn't be trusted to use a real gun.

sigh.........
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

amen on that sf
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I saw a kid walk by yesterday carrying a .22 rifle. The woods are public around this small subdivision. This small kid was 10 so they say. He was shooting a short distance away with no supervision. This made me nervous considering how far bullets travel. At what age should kids be turnned loose with guns? What about them required to be a hunters ed graduate or gun saefty class?
    Several regulations might apply here. The 100 feet from center line of any publicly maintained roadway. If he was shooting at game of any sort, then he has to be supervised by someone at least 21 years of age.

Personally I think the parents don't think much of their neighbors or think too highly of that kid. In my opinion, that is too young to be turned loose with a firearm without direct supervision. I'd have been sorely tempted to call someone...
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtaco View Post
    Several regulations might apply here. The 100 feet from center line of any publicly maintained roadway. If he was shooting at game of any sort, then he has to be supervised by someone at least 21 years of age.

Personally I think the parents don't think much of their neighbors or think too highly of that kid. In my opinion, that is too young to be turned loose with a firearm without direct supervision. I'd have been sorely tempted to call someone...
    i agree totally taco. Children even at 12 need to have supervision to ensure mistakes aren't made. Kids don't have the proper decision making skills to handle weapons other than a red rider cock and pop bb gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast