Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any body fish from Canoe or Kayak?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any body fish from Canoe or Kayak?

If you do, could you provide some details, pictures and etc.? I am thinking about getting a canoe to fish from and would like to know how others have theirs rigged up.

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched from a 16' Old Towne Canoe to a 16' Tracker a few months back

here are some links with pics of mine.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...-2-2009-a.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...-5-2009-a.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/virgi...-6-2009-a.html
    Last edited by Chasing Ghosts; 01-14-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Paddlefishing - Thanks.

That is a nice setup you have. Is there a way to connect a trolling motor to these? I used to go to the backwaters with a friend in Florida. He had a Gheenoe with a trolling motor. It worked great all day.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkw_fly View Post
    Paddlefishing - Thanks.

That is a nice setup you have. Is there a way to connect a trolling motor to these? I used to go to the backwaters with a friend in Florida. He had a Gheenoe with a trolling motor. It worked great all day.:D
    Sure is

There is a gunnel mount adapter you can get for a TM....

check your state regs though... most places require you to register the canoe if you use a TM on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing from my kayak since 1991. Some of my biggest Ohio bass have come from the kayak. You can fish the skinny, weed and lilypad infested areas that no other type boat can get to.
    This might give you some additional info.

Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums

All Kayak Fishing for info on kayak fishing

Kayak Sportfishing Kayak Fishing Resource

Welcome to Kayak Fishing Magazine

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of a SOT Kayak about 50% of the time. You're very limited on space, so you have to learn to pack light. Spider rigging is out of the question:D:D . I mostly fly fish and toss spinners with an ultra-light.
    This was my first speck in the YAK:
    Isaiah 41:10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jkw_fly View Post
    If you do, could you provide some details, pictures and etc.? I am thinking about getting a canoe to fish from and would like to know how others have theirs rigged up.

PM Slabsrus on the Michigan board. That's pretty much all he fishes out of. Good pics of his setup too.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a local lake unlike any other here at home. It's about 500 acres and covered in grass and cypress trees. Small cypress trees, almost like your fishing under a canopy. Most think the fish died off several decades ago. I tend to agree.

I use a 14'7" old town guide here. I paddle across the lake sitting in the bow seat facing backwards. I put a cooler and a deepcycle battery in the front. When I get to the trees I turn around forward and skull. The battery and cooler keep my stern weighted down. Just keep a smaller cooler up front for the fish murdering I do.

You can get the pointed bow of the canoe into some tight spots. Very little paddling required as i just pull myself through the trees with one hand, whitey outlaw rod in the other (these are a dream in stuff like this no eyelets). I can get into places others can't and very quietly. When I started using my canoe here my catch rate really went up. I would wade, but last count I think I remember hearing there were over 175 gators there...in a 450-500 acre lake...naaaa...I'll stick with the canoe.

Post Thanks / Like

I do just about all of my fishing from a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Edition Kayak. I have been fishing form Kayaks in the ocean and on fresh water Lakes, and Rivers in North Texas. It is a great way to go after fish and I have made some of my best catches from a kayak.

My Yak is currently set up with a anchor trolly system using a 5 lbs claw anchor. I also added 2 rod holders in addition to the two rocket launchers that come with it. I installed a 12 volt 7 aph battery to run a Cuda 242 FF and some lighting as a lot of my fishing is at night.

While most Kayaks cant carry the weight of many canoes, they are in my opinion much more manuverable. They are far more stable in my experience as well. Should you fall out of it its a heck of a lot easier to get back in a SOT Yak than a Canoe.

Here is a pic of mine on one of the urban small lakes I hit on a regular basis for some fantastic Bass fishing.

This is a shot of the cockpit area showing the rod holders I added and the FF.
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 01-16-2010 at 12:14 AM.