Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot-thru-hull or trolling motor mount?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoot-thru-hull or trolling motor mount?

i broke my tranducer for my fish finder and have to order a new one now. I have always wondered how well the shoot thru transducers perform and how dependable they are, but just fear change i guess. So my question is this... if you had to pick, which would you choose? Thanks in advance

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation RfSlabs ...

I've used them both ... and prefer the TM mount puck. Main reason is --- it's up front, with me, and shows me what's underneath "me" ... not what's 15-17ft BEHIND me, or what I've already passed over :p

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the Trolling motor one. However, I fish stumpy, shallow water a lot and break one pretty often.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an aluminum boat so mine is on the trolling motor. Iv'e always been told that thru the hull won't work with aluminum boats. Someone else may know something different.

Post Thanks / Like

No question in my mind....If I could only have one, it would be on the TM. It's where I spend my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it depends.....if you're talking about a puck style ducer mounted to the TM...the performance will be the same, however the puck style is generally stronger housing, so it should be harder to break off.

Now, if you're talking about glassing in a ducer for best ability to pick up the bottom at speed, that's the ticket - assuming we're talking a glass hull here. Then again, signal return is diminished with that setup - although 90% of folks couldn't tell it.

However, I'm betting the folks above hit the best advice for what you're probably talking about....if you only have one ducer - mount it to the TM.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, you CAN epoxy a 'ducer to an aluminum hull. But, I like it on the TM...mostly because it will show me what is directly below me, and not at the back of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one mounted inside and it reads good but i use it on the console when im running .

But i have another on the troll motor. if i go over a brush top or ledge
    i can just drop a marker right beside the troll motor and it marks the brush top for fishing .

that's hard to do with the transducer 18 foot behind you at the back of the boat. you have to mount it in the sump at the back of the boat because it will not read thru the double hull or air pockets.

i have seen some that drill a hole in the boat and fiberglass them in but if they go out your stuck.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. I would have thought the shoot thru transducer would have been more popular, but the opposite is true. I had an eagle 320 and it came with a transom transducer, so i had to make do and mount it to the TM, but now that its broke im going to order a puck style transucer. Thanks for everyones advice.

Post Thanks / Like

You're probably getting a skewed representation of the boating population there Reelfoot. The majority of folks around here run a tin boat. If you went to a bass board and asked the same question, it'd prolly be flipped.

Still not sure if I understand your question or intent, but a puck style mounted to a TM will be stronger and offer the same performance - assuming the cone angle of the beam is the same as your previous ducer.

Optimally - at least for me, if I could only have 1 ff, I'd mount 2 ducers - one for running (on the transome) and one for fishing (on the TM). They can be had used pretty easily if you're on a budget......and aren't we all.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast