Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help friends, Yamaha 150 or Etec 130

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help friends, Yamaha 150 or Etec 130

First of all, confession is good for the soul. I must admit, I have been unfaithful. . . . I've been posting on another forum. Several actually. Please forgive me. But I am home now, much like the Prodigal son, home to loving arms!!

This post kind of relates to crappie fishing. I am on the verge of upgrading my rig. I think I'm going to have an unexpected decision to get a new hull. As many of you know, I have an F&F and I love it. I am considering upgrading to a 20/72 or 22/72 F&F Tunnel Hull with pods. I should know by next week for sure, maybe Friday. (currently running an F&F 20/72 mod vee with 115 tohat TLDI. I have a possible buyer for my rig now as it sits, so I am tempted to kick it up a notch, power-wise.

Here is my question. I am looking at a good deal on either a 130 Etec or a 150 yamaha 4stroke for the new boat. Both are good motors and obviously more power than I NEED. BUT, here is what is on my mind:

My boat and current motor is fine for crappie fishing and limited guiding I do now, but I want to run 58-65 in the summer so that I can smoke my brother-in-law in his fancy Sea Ray at Ky lake skiing and tubing. He can barely make 46-48. I mean I want to walk off and leave him. Looking at prices, I could keep my motor, or for a little more, upgrade significantly.

(My current boat would run 46 before the rear of the bottom cupped slightly from hanging on stumps at Reelfoot.)

Does anyone run a similar rig. I want some feedback from experience. The not so helpful folks on some other forums did not give me any help.

Oh, what ever you do, DO NOT EMAIL RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO MY HOME EMAIL. I foolishly made the mistake of adding my direct email to the new family computer. My lovely bride seems to be looking over my shoulders at every turn. HELP HELP.

RCO
    Sonfishing

Post Thanks / Like

i got a 2096(20 72)polar kraft and i run a etec....best motor i have owned...i love the self fogging...a 90 etec will out run a 150 yamaha 4 stroke...i run 200 a with 4 people in the boat i get 74-77mph...the boat is rated for a 140 but we reworked the whole rear of the boat with 1/4in plate...i think a e-tec is the best bang for the buck...i had a 90 to start with and it would still run 45-50
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thats what I'm talkin about. . . .

Real experience. Okay, so if the 90etec will do that with a regular hull, 130 in the tunnel ought to break 50 mph??

rco

Post Thanks / Like

you might want to look at the 140 suzuki,very good motor and runs higher rpms than both of your choices.im a boat mechanic and these motors are very dependable and can run up 6250rpms and rpms=speed.the yamahas are very good motors but very under powered.i have to use a prop 2 sizes smaller to get the rpms up to what a suzuki will run.i run a 140 suzuki on my seaark rivercat,i get 54mph loaded down 2 big guys in it.as far as the etec goes i like the concept,but i have replaced several of their power heads on the 15 or so that we have sold.have not have any major issues with the hundreds of suzukis that we have sold. real experience my 2 cents

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Outboards are engineered to run at a certain RPM range at WOT. Anytime you force a motor to exceed that you are LOOSING power and it is bad for the motor. Outboards are not under powered. Boats are under powered when you put too small of a motor on them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

You can not set these new motors up to run higher than their max rpms range,they have rev limiters on them.and you are right it would be bad for the motor.its just some motors are made to run higher rpms than others.and if you are looking for speed this is the only way to get it,without adding a jackplate.a word of caution about running to close to the rev limiter,ever time you hit the limiter this info is stored in your ecm and can be pulled up by your mechanic.and could be an issue in warranty work.my 2 cents

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a Yamaha 2-stroke and love the motor...A friend ,living on Chesapeake Bay, replaced a Mercury Optimax with 2 140hp Suzukis..The smoothest motors I have been around..He now has over 800 hours on them with no problems..I would not overlook Suzuki...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Did I read that right? a 2096 Polar Kraft with an actual bottom width of 72 rated for only 140HP running a 200 HP....loaded with 4 people running 72-74 mph?

Hmmmmmm. If that is correct, were 3 of the 4 screaming at the top of their lungs?

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

How are the Etec at idle speed? Do they load up like the old 2-strokes?

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Did I read that right? a 2096 Polar Kraft with an actual bottom width of 72 rated for only 140HP running a 200 HP....loaded with 4 people running 72-74 mph?

Hmmmmmm. If that is correct, were 3 of the 4 screaming at the top of their lungs?

Wannabe...
    Yea, I was scratching my head, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast