Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Baiting Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baiting Fish

Hey

Has anyone ever used some type of bait to attract fish to a certain area? If so, what did you use and how often did it have to be done to keep the fish in that area?

Post Thanks / Like

its called chumming.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time, mostly for carp and bluegill. I chum corn for carp and maggots for gills. I only chum while I'm fishing, but some of the hardcore carp guys will chum heavily for several days.

For crappie, you'd have to chum minnows or something else to draw in minnows, like bread.

Post Thanks / Like

floating light at night

Post Thanks / Like

lots of original ideas on this, some can be found here by doing a search. The most interesting one was taking a roadkill (racoon, oppossum, rabbit, whatever) and tying it to a limb overhanging the water, maggots will fall off the carcus and make a good honey hole (I have never done this and probably never will). I have known people to punch holes in a can of dog food and tie it off to a branch and toss it in the water, dry dog food ina burlap sack will work too. One method that I have used I it works is take a bail of hay or straw and toss it into the water, it will get water logged and sink and algea will grow on it quick, it attracts minnows real good.............if its hay, sometimes I would put it shallow water so the top is exposed, the hay will grow out of the bail.....insects will be attracted, kinda helping out the food chain of the eco-system. The idea of baiting a hole is to attract the bait fish, which in turn will attract predators. If you want to start a feeding frenzy with the bait fish and try to trigger the predators, throw some cooked white rice in the water.
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Before you do this, check your state fishing regulations. It's not legal everywhere.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Lots here use Range Cubes (cow food) or what is called Chicken Scratch for cats. If you want cat fish just cover some of that chicken scratch with water in a bucket and close for a few days. Can be used right away, but is better once it sours and gets nasty smelling. It will bring the kitty's in though.

Some use dog food, but there are so many things people use (alfalfa pellets and most any kind of other food for animals are used) it is hard to tell what is best.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We do it every summer for Channel Catfish. We pour sweet feed pellets the water on the same spot for weeks. Just about any grain or feed will work. The Sweet feed (Horse and Mule feed) is clean and don't stink. Here we use alot of feed scraps from a local feed mill. We normall feed around cover natural or manmade. The Bream come in not only for the feed but after small minnows and insects. All your predator fish will hang around too.

Here is a link to an old thread I posted on baiting.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/catfi...ish-holes.html
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Friend of mine swears by grits/cornmeal?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Somthing I have never done but read about I making a large tree shape out of PVC and weighing it down with a bucket of cement, on the branches zip tie cans of cat food and poke holes in it, the crappies will be attracted to the structure an the minnows feeding on the cat food