PDA

View Full Version : Food Saver

wish4fish
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
I got a food saver for christmas and was playing with it last night. I had one of the rolls out and it would seal one end fine but when I turned the other end around and hit vacuum and seal the motor would run for forever and it would not vacuum. I looked at the instructions for a while and could not figure it out. How long does it take to seal? Thanks for the help.

PawPaw "gene"
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Some times its because the bag isn't flat across the sealing area. Other times I find it works better to flip it over. Some times I grab hold of the bag near the edge of the machine to pull it flat and let the wife close the cover. I usually put something like a thick phone book or stack of other magazines in front of the machine. This allow the bag to be more in line with the sealing area and helps to keep it flat. The longer the bag the easier it usually is, allow yourself some slack. I hope this helps.

"gene"

GCD
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
What PPG said, I also like to seal my bags twice... vacuum and seal once and then just seal the second time.

cook
01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
make sure the "lip" is dry also

poppop
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
At times I have to press down on the *stars* on each corner, that makes it tighter and it seems like it seals better when I do that.

Krappie1
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
sometimes I have to push down hard to get to engauge to the 2 stage.

Iowabucks
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
There is a little removeable tray that the end of the bag has to be over for it to take the air out. Sometimes i watch my wife use it and it runs forever without taking any air out. I tell her it needs to line up with that area for it to work. I also seal mine twice, on both ends if i'm using the roll.

We buy burger, chicken, chops, and steak in bulk and package them up with the foodsaver. The only complains i have is if you use it too often the sealer gets too hot and you have to give it some time to cool off before it will seal again.

feelay
01-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I also run the seal cycle twice. If the bottom isn't completely sealed, it will never pull a vacuum.

robbor
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
My dad loves his food saver but it never works. It usually never seals correctly and even when you think it did when you defrost you find its not sealed and/or there is no vacume in the pkg. He spends a ton on the bags and hoards all kinds of food until so old your forced to eat it or forgotten about. He's machine has broken atleast 2x and had to be replaced. I hate the food saver.

dvuks
01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
If the fillets are not pre frozen it will suck the moisture out. this will prevent the bag from fully heat sealing. They don't tell you that in the ads. I use Ziplock vacuum seal bags, it has a hand pump, works alot better for me.

Fatman
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I also double seal, as long as your fillets are just damp the machine seals it right up. If it's takeing too long to vacuum out your edge isn't even or it's not sitting right in the sealing slot. I love these machines and my small one I take camping with us, they usually have a plug somewheres around the dock or at the campsite.

Fatman

Il Duckshewter
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I have a Food Saver and LOVE IT! I use it to seal all of my fish, ducks, geese, and squirrels. Occasionally I will have a bag that won't seal, and I'll just throw it away and make a new one. The trick, I've found, as someone else mentioned is to pre-freeze the raw meat. I put ANY raw meat that I'm going to seal on a cookie sheet that is covered with wax paper. I'll arrange things so that they freeze flat, and then put them in the freezer for an hour or more. Depends on how thick the meat is. Goose breasts tend to take 2-3 hours, and fish fillets tend to take an hour or so. I usually will push on the meat, and if it doesn't give, its ready to go. The beautiful part of vaccum sealing is that if I decide at 3 in the afternoon I want to eat fish or duck, I can have it thawed and ready to cook in half an hour.

ky-slabseeker
01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I just pat my fillets with a towel on each side after I am done cleaning my fish and they seal just fine...

Eager Beaver
01-16-2010, 02:14 AM
If you are having trouble getting it to seal than you haven't got the end of the bag in the tray behind the seal strip. The end of the bag goes down in the tray. If you look at your instructions it will tell you to make sure you place the end of the bag in the tray. Hope this takes care of the problem of not sealing. EB

tacklebox2tn
01-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Try folding a paper towel until it's about 1" wide and the width of the bag, insert it into the bag between the last fillets and the seal. As the vaccum draws down the moisture will be absorbed by the towel and doesn't go into the pump. I have used this method for years.