Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Saver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food Saver

I got a food saver for christmas and was playing with it last night. I had one of the rolls out and it would seal one end fine but when I turned the other end around and hit vacuum and seal the motor would run for forever and it would not vacuum. I looked at the instructions for a while and could not figure it out. How long does it take to seal? Thanks for the help.
    nothing beats time on the water

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some times its because the bag isn't flat across the sealing area. Other times I find it works better to flip it over. Some times I grab hold of the bag near the edge of the machine to pull it flat and let the wife close the cover. I usually put something like a thick phone book or stack of other magazines in front of the machine. This allow the bag to be more in line with the sealing area and helps to keep it flat. The longer the bag the easier it usually is, allow yourself some slack. I hope this helps.

"gene"

"G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

What PPG said, I also like to seal my bags twice... vacuum and seal once and then just seal the second time.

Post Thanks / Like

make sure the "lip" is dry also

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At times I have to press down on the *stars* on each corner, that makes it tighter and it seems like it seals better when I do that.

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes I have to push down hard to get to engauge to the 2 stage.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a little removeable tray that the end of the bag has to be over for it to take the air out. Sometimes i watch my wife use it and it runs forever without taking any air out. I tell her it needs to line up with that area for it to work. I also seal mine twice, on both ends if i'm using the roll.

We buy burger, chicken, chops, and steak in bulk and package them up with the foodsaver. The only complains i have is if you use it too often the sealer gets too hot and you have to give it some time to cool off before it will seal again.
    Last edited by Iowabucks; 01-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I also run the seal cycle twice. If the bottom isn't completely sealed, it will never pull a vacuum.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default fs

My dad loves his food saver but it never works. It usually never seals correctly and even when you think it did when you defrost you find its not sealed and/or there is no vacume in the pkg. He spends a ton on the bags and hoards all kinds of food until so old your forced to eat it or forgotten about. He's machine has broken atleast 2x and had to be replaced. I hate the food saver.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

If the fillets are not pre frozen it will suck the moisture out. this will prevent the bag from fully heat sealing. They don't tell you that in the ads. I use Ziplock vacuum seal bags, it has a hand pump, works alot better for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast