HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: This is why you stay off of ice above moving water

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is why you stay off of ice above moving water

Man may have fallen in icy river
    David Smith out exercising his dog

Updated: Tuesday, 12 Jan 2010, 11:24 AM EST
    Published : Tuesday, 12 Jan 2010, 11:22 AM EST

LAKE VILLAGE, Ind. (WLFI) - The Newton County Sheriff's department received a report of a missing person in the Sumava Resorts area on Monday just after noon.

Police said that Sandra Smith told them that she had last spoken with her ex-husband, David Smith, on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. During this conversation, Sandra Smith said her ex-husband had told her he was out with his dog, Hershey, along the Kankakee River, and said that Hershey was out on the ice-covered river and having difficulties returning to shore.

Police said Sandra Smith told them that her ex-husband then terminated the conversation, and she had not heard from him since.

Police located David Smith's truck at a property near the river that he owns. David Smith's belongings were located nearby.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources and the Lake Township Fire Department were called in to assist with a search effort.

The preliminary investigation and evidence indicated that David Smith had walked onto the ice and possibly fallen through.

Police said the dangerous ice conditions prevented search efforts by a dive team.

David Smith is described as a white male, 6'1", 310 pounds, with a large scar on the left side of his face.

Anyone with any information should contact Sgt. Cothran
    RIPPING LIPS LIKE ITS MY JOB!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats one reason I have never had any want to ice fish. I'm sure there is a safe way to do it, but I know nothing about the ice. What I do know, is what it feels like to be in the water in the middle of the winter......and thats something you only need to go through once. Hope that situation turns out ok. I think I would have to go after my dog too.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I notice was that the man weighed 310 pounds. If the dog went though the ice..........
    RIPPING LIPS LIKE ITS MY JOB!

Post Thanks / Like

And this is also the reason I don't ice fish,...not even on a lake where there may be "safe" ice. I just don't trust the ice at all. I hope,too,that they found the guy and his dog and that they are okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys....it was a RIVER.....geez nobody icefishes a river...the story makes no mention of icefishing......
    G & G Baits Ice Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

No it doesn't mention ice fishing....the point of the story is the danger of ice! Other than the dog being on ice, the only other reason I could think you would venture out on a frozen water would be to FISH.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    No it doesn't mention ice fishing....the point of the story is the danger of ice! Other than the dog being on ice, the only other reason I could think you would venture out on a frozen water would be to FISH.
    How about to play ice hockey?I remember my younger days of looking for some good ice just to play a game

Post Thanks / Like

its true that ice is dangerous, river or not, but then again we all know how many countless people are killed driving a car, yet we still do that.
    Good judgement and some common sense will take you along ways.
    Most tradgedys like this are blown out of scale, just like accidental shootings and other terrible things that make good news coverage(so sad but true).

Has there been any update to this story? The out look didnt sound good.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the ice in High School ice fishing and was lucky to get out. Thanks to Chuck and Steve who helped me, I've never been back out on the ice since!!!!!

I read about all the guys catching fish and enjoying themselves all the time but man it only takes going through once.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Ya just have to know what you are walking on!!! I went thru once myself and I am here to tell you, the next weekend I knew how thick the ice was I walked on. The first few steps were a little tough, but we spud checked our way out and I followed my buddy about 15' behind that day. The day I went through, the spud was in the back of the truck and I was on a small pond I knew nothing about. Found out later it had numerous springs. I had probably drilled 8-10 holes with 4 good inches of ice. It was the last one that got me. That one spot was thin. The rest of the ice was good as I rolled up out of the hole myself and headed for the truck. Pretty cold as I remember.
    Doug - got hooked on LUND!