Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Problem/need Info!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Line Problem/need Info!

Just curious about line I use/ Trilene xl smooth 4 lb test. Been having a problem with it twisting around top jig head and breaking. Last two spools have give me this problem. May be my knot but I've tried different ones and same result. Going to go to power pro 8/1 and give it a shot. Is that line good[power pro] for verticle jigging and shooting docks? Need some help here fella's.Wife thinks I'm just throwing jig heads away and infact I am...any info would be appreciated..thanks again
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jig'r:

I've been real happy with Ande line for vertical jigging. I use 6-pound "Envy" (bright green). It has some memory but I keep my long poles set up so the memory it has for twenty feet is nice and straight. It is small in diameter, very durable, sun resistant and sensitive.

If you are getting a lot of line twist it could be from your drag. If you have a spinning reel and you pull the line out by slipping the drag to add depth it twists your line, which will make it more likely to wrap around the end of your pole or your top jig whenever there is slack in the line.

A lot of folks adjust their depth by making so many pulls on their line and don't realize how much twist they are putting in their line. By marking your line with a permanent marker you can simply open the bail and let the line fall to the desired depth.

Hope this helps.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jig'r. I've been using power pro 8# for years on my jig casting reels and I like it very much. I had problems with it tying up at the spool until I under spooled it a lot. I tried it a few times on my 11' jiggin poles and it stayed wrapped around the guides when the wind was blowing. I use solar 8# Iron Silk on the long rods and it seems to slide through the guides easier than most lines. The power pro is hard to tie but I got use to it.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

one bad thing about the power pro is you can't break it off if you get hung.

Post Thanks / Like

jig'r, I had trouble out of every trilene spool of line I ever bought. Needless to say I dont waste my money on it anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Jig'r
    Been having a problem with it twisting around top jig head and breaking.
    Does this mean it twist around the top of the single jig or are you using multiple jigs? If it's multiples, I'd say to put a barrel swivel 1-1 1/2 ft above the top jig.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

thanks and I am guilty of pulling line off and I fish with multi jigs,maybe I'll go with something else other than power pro,really like 4# test. do they make Iron silk in 4#, this andre line is that also in 4# test. Need quick adjustment going back to buggs friday. Also what is good knot to tie with double jig set-up?
    Stay Humble .. Even on a Crappie Day !!

Post Thanks / Like

You can get Ironsilk and Ande in 4-pound but I use 6 cause I never know when a thug or a striper is going show up. I like Ironsilk OK when I first put it on but it fades and gets brittle real fast out in the sun. But mine is out in the sun every day so........

Get a Black Sanford Permanent Marker from Office Depot or Walmart and mark your line at 10 and/or 20 feet. Then you can estimate how much line you have out of the water to the mark and know how much line you have in the water (depth). You can even take some fingernail polish and make a mark on your pole at 2.5 and 5-feet from the tip so you can measure how far your mark is out of the water. It's the fastest and most accurate method I've seen for determining how deep you are fishing and by opening the bail instead of pulling line you will save all the trouble of line twist (unless your jig spirals down, which will also twist your line).
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Most of us have a line we prefer, but if line is manufactured by a reputable company, is advertised as a limp line or for use on spinning reels, is fresh ( not some closeout that has been exposed to extreme temp. changes), is loaded on the reel properly, is handled properly after it is installed ( not hand pulled or wound to allow the drag to slip freely), there should be no looping or kinking problem. Reel Magic will help keep mono limp, I don't know how it works on the other types of line.

As Jerry said if the jig spirals as it sinks it will twist the line, If it rolls over on retrive it will twist the line. If I am casting a lot I will cut off the jigs and let the line off behind the boat and idle to a new spot, then retie. That only makes sense if you are just using a couple of rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note on the subject of line breaking. We use 10 lb test hi vis gold. We had a problem with line breaking. We could fish all day, no problem, when we put new line out of the box on our jig poles. Two days later we come back, the first tug on the line snap. It took a while to figure out. We were occasionally squirting fish formula on our jigs. It was deteriorating our lines. We did an experiment, took a new spool out of the box pulled off 10 yards, tried to break it. It was very tough. We soaked the spool in the formula. Came back 3 days later, the slightest tug, snap, snapo ,snap all the rest of the spool. Needless to say we quit using the formula. We have had a record catch for us this year with out it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast