Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Questions

I am new to crappie equipment and was wondering, What type, length, and brand crappie poles would you use for flippin or pitchin banks for spring crappie? Where would you buy these rods online?
    Crappie Fishing- Lots of Run...Sun...Fun...Catch a Ton...Or Didn't Get None!

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means the norm on this subject but I use my 10' Ozarks for pitching to the bank in spring time. I just take of the small bait cast reels and put on a Quantum Optix reel and I am in bussiness. Before I found the Ozark rods I always used the Quantum "Todd Huckabee" series 9' rod for this. Most guys here on Truman will use 7' and 8' Ozark and Outlaw rods. They both can be bought in the Truman area at a number of bait shops and tackle stores. I will stick with the 10'.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod question

Jared: Have you used B&M poles? When I bought my War eagle Predator crappie boat, the company sent me 3 B&M poles. two ten foot jiggin poles and one 12 foot trolling pole that is now an 11 footer thanks to a walleye that broke it while I was fightin him. I was wondering if there is much difference in action/stiffness between those type poles and some of the ones you and others on crappie.com are mentioning they use?
    Crappie Fishing- Lots of Run...Sun...Fun...Catch a Ton...Or Didn't Get None!

Post Thanks / Like

We use 7 ft spinning to pitch & flip with. Although we dont do it that often. We usually dip the banks with 10 ft rods.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The B@M rods will do you just fine. Good quality rods also. If you have not used the 10' rods much you may want a shorter rod for pitching to the bank. I usually am trolling or dipping the breaklines when everyone else is casting to the males on the bank. So not much need for the shorter ones for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to the Ozark rods and really like them. I prefer the 6'2" or the 7'2" ones. They will get me anywhere I want to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6 foot spinnin reels for about everything with 4 to 6 lb. line dependin on what im doin and a 10 foot BPS Crappie Hunter for jiggin'. I try to use the lightest jig and the lightest line possible.

Post Thanks / Like

i would check out the 8'2 outlaw...great lil rod for doing stuff like that...the 8'2 was made for the walleye guys...so its nice and strong but its still a light rod...
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6'6" g-loomis and a 7'6" Ozark rod to pitch the bank in the spring. If the water is high and there are laydowns I'll use my 10' BnM and dip the laydowns. I usually use quantum or plfueger reels with 8lb high vis line.
    Grizzly jig carries Bnm and Ozark rods and carries a few Quantum reels.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 8 ft. outlaw rod and it has worked good for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast