Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rods/tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default rods/tackle

i was talking with Jr owner of Outlaw Crappie/walleye rods over the weekend and he was telling how they use from 1/32 - 1/8oz jigs to catch walleyes in stockton lake in MO...i know here we fish for sauger below carlyle lake lake dam and the lightest i go is 3/8 up to 2oz...does anyone else throw that light of weight for eyes? i also grabbed me a 7'2 outlaw to start using for sauger/walleye fishing...i dunno if you guys have ever checked out his rods but they are the nicest crappie rods i have used and im about to put them to the test on the walleyes...
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

My go to rig for crappie, walleyes, or whites is a 1/16 oz head rigged with a kalins grub. Current at Carlyle may require something heavier but a 1/8 oz is the heaviest I use. I'm tough on rods so I don't spend much money on them. I really like BPS micro lite rods and berkley lightning rods. Ready for spring!

Post Thanks / Like

if you break the tips mostly then you might want to check out a outlaw...only cost $15 for a whole new top half....i might try this season going to lighter weight tackle
    Culprit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i'll go that low in a lake...usually use 1/16-1/8 jigs. in a river you are rarely afforded that opportunity....i usually use 1/4 oz - 3/8 and sometimes 1/2 right at the mouth of the dams.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason for using the lightest tackle that conditions will allow is, an 'eye is a follower most of the time and is pretty lazy most of the year. The longer your bait "floats" in the strike zone, the longer they have to react. Prespawn and early summer can be exceptions to the lite bite........Good fishin' JR
    Let's go Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like

i have never looked at it like that but im going to give it a try...i wanna make a trip over to see you and hope to get on some of them walleyes but would really like to check out them crappie over there
    Culprit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

We get a few eyes here in Oklahoma on 1/16-1/2 oz jigs depending on the time of year. Catch more trolling or throwing crankbaits.