PDA

View Full Version : Best crappie waters

PBUG2009
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
who do you think has the best crappie waters in the us and why???? this should get some good conversation started......

WestTennCrappie
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
This question gets asked a few times per week. Reelfoot Lake and South. Everybody has thier opinions on the big 4 in Mississippi. Alabama River. Wiess. Reelfoot and Ky Lake. Arkansas lakes. Louisiana. Texas. Southern states. Mississippi lakes probably have the biggest.

PBUG2009
01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
what makes these the top waters. is it the cover, water structure or they just constantly produce big papermouths.

IAMMAC
01-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I would like to throw in Alamo, Rosevelt and San Carlos from AZ. All three of these lakes have a great numbers/sizes of Crappie.

J.E.Clayton
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
who do you think has the best crappie waters in the us and why???? this should get some good conversation started......

Lake Eufaula in Ok. Posted to day in Ok. a crappie was couagh below the lake eufaula dam by tom blackburn that weighed 4 lb's and 11 oz.. confirmed the game ranger. that was a monster crappie no picks as of yet.:D:D

CrappieKillerJigs
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
i think here in IL we have some great crappie fishing...no all huge but great numbers...

aqua-holic
01-17-2010, 07:20 AM
My wife and I went to Reelfoot last spring (09) and fished 3 days there, was the worst fishing trip I have ever been on...Never caught a crappie, in 3 days we caught maybe 10 fish.....and as usual we heard, "they should be biting better next week or they were sure biting good last week" Why do the fish never bite good the week you go fishing, it is always the week before or week after....we fished trees stumps, trees, around the cypress trees, drifted, trolled, casted, bobber fished, we did everything but tie the tackel box to a rope and throw that in, but no luck......I have heard storys of how great the fishing was on Reelfoot and for this fisherman, it was a dissapointment......trying Kentucky Lake this spring.

skeetbum
01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I know of a bunch of large fish have been caught just about everywhere at one time or another. MS has given up some nice ones in the recent past, and Jerry Blake in AR consistantly shows pics of good catches. I went to weiss in AL 2 springs ago and had a good trip, but just like fishin around here, the fish turned off at 10 am and no one could buy a bite after that. All you can do is base a trip on the reputation of the area and hope that the weather and other influeces cooperate. Good luck and have a good trip, wherever you go.

Eager Beaver
01-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Any lake you happen to be fishing at the time. Any lake can produce a monster at anytime. We all can't fish the best lakes or they would be fished out in no time at all or seriously depleated. I never stress how good a lake is but if we can catch a fish in it. People always have a great time when I take them out no matter how many fish they catch. It isn't the size that counts but how much fun you have while there. EB

Majesticman
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Kentucky is probably all around best but you have to know where to go. I've had a cabin there for 15 years and just now the old guys are starting to show me how to read the weather and lake. It's big enough they are always biting somewhere. The trick is knowing where that is ........

Reelfoot comes and goes but it is best to use a guide for at least a day before finding you way around.

feelay
01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
My wife and I went to Reelfoot last spring (09) and fished 3 days there, was the worst fishing trip I have ever been on...Never caught a crappie, in 3 days we caught maybe 10 fish.....and as usual we heard, "they should be biting better next week or they were sure biting good last week" Why do the fish never bite good the week you go fishing, it is always the week before or week after....we fished trees stumps, trees, around the cypress trees, drifted, trolled, casted, bobber fished, we did everything but tie the tackel box to a rope and throw that in, but no luck......I have heard storys of how great the fishing was on Reelfoot and for this fisherman, it was a dissapointment......trying Kentucky Lake this spring.
Uhh...that's fishin'....duh!;)

Cane Pole
01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Ain't no fish here. You Yankees done seined the lake.:eek::eek:

Chasing Ghosts
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
the best crappie waters are the ones you are fishing

Cracker68
01-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Hey you must not been holding your mouth right.

Jeepster04
01-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Reelfoot has it's share of nice crappie. Next time you go take a guide trip for a day and see what is working. They stay on the water there and can put you where you need to be for the conditions.

puddle jumper
01-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Thats what came to mind for me first ,:D,, But Weiss and Kentucky lakes...
Puddle

siscokid
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
My buddies and me go to Lake Fork every year. They got some pretty big crappie down there and alot of em. Its fun because its not unusual to catch a 3 or 4 pound bass or a yellow bass while your crappie fishin. Thats the only place ive ever fished out of Missouri and its the only place ive ever been that sells minnows by the pound.

Bigby
01-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Truman Lake here in Missouri, lots of crappie in this lake but it's not known for the bigger crappie. If you like catching and eating them, it's a great lake to fish.

Slablicious
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm from Iowa and drive down to Grenada, Enid, Sardis every year if that's any indication. Last year, the first stakebed I pulled up on I landed a 2lb 10oz on the first "dip". Fishing went downhill after that!!!

aqua-holic
01-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Ok Just because I didnt have good luck on Reelfoot doesnt make it a lake not worth going to, I have gotten several replys asking if I used a guide, no we didnt, we tried it solo, and it just wasnt there for us.....if this has upset some of the die hard Reelfoot fishermen....sorry....I am not a proffesional fisherman, wife and I do it for the fun and great fish that we clean and eat from a sport we enjoy.

Just because we had no luck doesnt mean you should not go or change plans, just posted my thoughts and results of our trip...

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
01-24-2010, 11:22 AM

and so the saying goes

river slabs are better
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
my vote is for kentucky, arkabutla , or grenada with maybe a kicker coming out of eufala or weiss

slabseeker2
01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I was thinking of planning some fishing trips to GRENADA OR SARDIS what time of the year is good to travel up there. And does anybody do paid fishing trips up there.

river slabs are better
01-25-2010, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of planning some fishing trips to GRENADA OR SARDIS what time of the year is good to travel up there. And does anybody do paid fishing trips up there.

i know crappie cowboy does, john woods does around there as does bigger jigger i think....just look around ms. board..