Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Weather Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Weather Fishing

With the cool temps we've had the last two days we gave the crappie a little break. It was 10-degrees at sunrise this morning and the high this afternoon was about 25. It's supposed to be about the same tomorrow but I have a die-hard crew scheduled that says they can handle it so we're going to give it a try.

At least I'll get a chance to try out the "Ice Suit" I just got in from Sportsman's Guide - Guide Gear Ice Suit, Black / Gray, Men's Clothing, Guide Gear, Guide Gear Ice Suit Snow Wind Blocking Nylon Polyester Arctic Fleece Jumpsuit at Sportsman's Guide. I'll let y'all know if it does the job or not.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck and be careful in the cold.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all be careful tomorrow in this cold weather. Look forward to seeing a report on the cold suit.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The Ice Suit did very well. It was 6-degrees when we left the dock and warmed all the way up to 30 for a little while mid-afternoon. I wore long-johns, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and hooded sweatshirt under it and I didn't get a bit cold, even while motoring down the lake.

We caught some fish too! The same crew is going tomorrow so we decided to take a picture of the fish after we're done tomorrow. We kept about 30 crappie, a pretty good spotted bass and an 8-pound striper and caught and released a 3-pound, 13-ounce largemouth.

I did get a picture of the largemouth before we released it:

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    The Ice Suit did very well. It was 6-degrees when we left the dock and warmed all the way up to 30 for a little while mid-afternoon. I wore long-johns, jeans, a long sleeve shirt and hooded sweatshirt under it and I didn't get a bit cold, even while motoring down the lake.

We caught some fish too! The same crew is going tomorrow so we decided to take a picture of the fish after we're done tomorrow. We kept about 30 crappie, a pretty good spotted bass and an 8-pound striper and caught and released a 3-pound, 13-ounce largemouth.

I did get a picture of the largemouth before we released it:

How were you fishing? Jigging deep? spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

We fished with rosy red minnows and shiners under slip-floats from 20 to 28-feet deep on bamboo crappie condos and brushpiles on main channel points in 25 to 35-feet of water with much deep water close by.

I was also trying different depths with a 1/16-ounce orange/silver/chartreuse hair jig tipped with either a small rosy or shiner. It hung the striper, largemouth, spotted bass and a few crappie.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

It was 6-degrees again this morning when we pulled out of the dock but warmed way up into the 30s!

Everything was covered with frozen fog so it was real purdy:

The barometer was crazy high and rising - got up to 30.68 at 10:00am - higher than I've seen in a long time. We never did get any good-ole-biguns to join us but plenty of eaters and a few decent fish:

We saw several Bald Eagles and a few flocks of ducks both days but other than that we pretty much had the lake to ourselves for some reason.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Nice catch guys. It's been in the 20s here for the last day or three. May get out in the next day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Proud of ya Jerry. Way to fish no matter what. Too bad it didn't snow on ya a little. Snow makes em bite like crazy. I bet there wasn't much pressure from the yahoos. Nice pics.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast