PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find Crappie

panfish_angler_17
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
In spring I'm going to try fishing for crappie in a river. Where do they hide at in rivers?What kind of bait and lures do i use to catch them?I fish for bluegills so maybe some of the techniques I use for bluegill might work for crapie.

STUMP HUNTER
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
You will find them in some of the same places you catch bluegill. When the water starts to warm up in March fish with minnows or jigs below a cork in shallow water out of the main river flow. Once you catch a few look for the same type places to catch more. Until then, read and learn all you can from Crappie.com

Welcome aboard from SC

fearnofish
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
jigs below a float works good

panfish_angler_17
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm going to buy some jigs of different colors;since the river I go fishing at is of a brownish color, I'll buy some brightly colored jigs.

jeepguyjames
01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm going to buy some jigs of different colors;since the river I go fishing at is of a brownish color, I'll buy some brightly colored jigs.

if its muddy or stained ,may wanna look in to black/chart, black/pink, or whites....i have had good luck with darker colors in stained or muddy water.

panfish_angler_17
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I tried fishing with a black and red jig and got several bites from bluegills but the jig wouldn't fit in their mouths. Maybe i should buy some jigs in 1/16 or 1/32 oz.

STUMP HUNTER
01-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I tried fishing with a black and red jig and got several bites from bluegills but the jig wouldn't fit in their mouths. Maybe i should buy some jigs in 1/16 or 1/32 oz.

Are you fishing for crappie or bluegill :confused: the jigs will be different sized for the two.

panfish_angler_17
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I was fishing for crappie.The bluegills got to the jig first.What size jigs should I use for crappie?Which size for bluegills?

STUMP HUNTER
01-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Most use 1 1/2 jigs for crappie. I don't use jigs for bluegill but someone will help you on the bream/bluegill board.

panfish_angler_17
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
So fishing for crappie at night is better?

STUMP HUNTER
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
So fishing for crappie at night is better?

LOL :D:D it will be better to learn to catch them in the daylight. One step at a time. The more time spent on the water fishing and learning from how you catch them is better than anything else. You can read and learn what to look for before spring gets here. :)

Yates
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
In spring I'm going to try fishing for crappie in a river. Where do they hide at in rivers?What kind of bait and lures do i use to catch them?I fish for bluegills so maybe some of the techniques I use for bluegill might work for crapie.

jigs below a cork in shallow water out of the main flow and tight to the wood...

CrappiePappy
01-08-2010, 11:39 PM

.. but I have fished rivers for Crappie, before ;)

Places to look for Crappie :

slack water/eddies
downed trees/standing trees
root wads/stumps
wing dams
bridge pilons
channel turns
creek mouths (and up in the creeks, themselves)

Alot depends on how much flow your river has .... but, one thing is certain -- you'll almost always find Crappie on the downflow side of any structure/cover that they hang around. They won't fight the current, but will look for slack water or something to get behind to block the current.

Things to use to catch Crappie :

minnows (store bought, or caught from the river itself)
shad (small & alive)
jigs (with plastic bodies, hair/feathers, and/or plain w/minnow or shad attached)

... cp :cool:

panfish_angler_17
01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
I bought an assortment of grubs,paddle bugs,tubes,and jigs as well as a Johnson Beetle Spin. I also bought some jig spinners and some jig heads in 1/32 and 1/16oz. I may buy some more Beetle spins since Wal Mart has them on sale for 96 cents.anything else i may need before I go crappie fishing in spring?

jeepguyjames
01-09-2010, 04:43 PM
if you dont have em, get some floats that will stay up with those jigs under em, i like the smallest ones that will do the job, maybe some "crappie sized" hooks, and some crappie nibbles.....also here are some good crappie shows http://www.myoutdoortv.com/index.php good reads ...Outdoor Library (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&&mode=browseByType&subcatID=16&cat=Fishing&cmid=OLARTICLE_VIEW_ALL_16_2....good) good luck and God bless