Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Fees Coming

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Fees Coming

Everyone needs to know about this. Starting this year, ALL saltwater anglers will have to check in with the federal government, and register to participate in a phone creel survey program. AND, you will be required to pay 25 bucks for that inconvenience beginning in 2011. Think of the billions of dollars generated by this program. AND...........the monies will NOT go to any conservation or angling program. They will be put into the General Fund. Now anglers can bankroll health care reform.
    If you think this doesn't affect us freshwater guys, think again. This will be a precedent setting program that will get us next, then hunters, etc..
    This is a government scam in the first degree. Everyone should e-mail their representatives, and tell them to repeal this. The VMRC article outlining the program is below. Note that this is not a state program. This is federal( White House), and affects the entire U.S.

December 18, 2009: The new National Saltwater Angler Registry will be launched by the federal government on Jan. 1, 2010 and will require virtually all saltwater recreational anglers in the United States (including Virginia) to call each year and register. The program is an effort to build a complete and accurate "phonebook" to better contact anglers to obtain catch information directly from them. Registration can be done through a toll-free number, 1-888-674-7411, or online at www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov. Anglers will be required to provide their names, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers, and the regions where they intend to fish, although they will not be restricted to fishing only in those regions and will not be required to register separately for each region in which they fish. There will be no charge to register until 2011, at which point an annual registration fee of about $25 a year will apply. All fees collected through this federal program will go to the U.S. treasury.

Those exempted from Registry requirements are: anglers under the age of 16; those who only fish on licensed charter, party or guide boats; hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit; or hold and are fishing under a valid commercial or subsistence fishing license or permit. The National Saltwater Angler Registry is a federal, not state, requirement. State fishing license fees will continue to be required. For more information on the Registry, please go to www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov. A Virginia Marine Resources Commission report to the General Assembly on the subject can be found in the following document: <SJR 397 Report>

Post Thanks / Like

Can you read? Did you read your link? I am not for hire. I do not sell my fish. I do not charge folks to fish on my boat. I already have a fishing license. I am covered, no more fees. go back and read the NOAA site.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm automatically registered because I fish on an Alabama Saltwater license.

They can add their $25 registration fee to my license fee in 2011.

... Oh! That's right! I don't pay for fishing licenses anymore, I bought a lifetime fishing license back in '89 and have been fishing for free for the last 10 yrs.!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater View Post
    Can you read? Did you read your link? I am not for hire. I do not sell my fish. I do not charge folks to fish on my boat. I already have a fishing license. I am covered, no more fees. go back and read the NOAA site.
    yep

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    I'm automatically registered because I fish on an Alabama Saltwater license.

They can add their $25 registration fee to my license fee in 2011.

... Oh! That's right! I don't pay for fishing licenses anymore, I bought a lifetime fishing license back in '89 and have been fishing for free for the last 10 yrs.!!!
    We are automatically registered also under a North Carolina Saltwater license. We are going to do exactly what you did, we are going to buy ourselves a lifetime license this year so we will be covered as we saltwater fish a lot. Smart!
    "Fletch had a catch of a lifetime and he was even standing up when he caught it!:p"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie12 View Post
    We are automatically registered also under a North Carolina Saltwater license. We are going to do exactly what you did, we are going to buy ourselves a lifetime license this year so we will be covered as we saltwater fish a lot. Smart!
    Only way to go. I've had a lifetime freshwater license for several years and being over 65 I don't need a salt water license.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    Only way to go. I've had a lifetime freshwater license for several years and being over 65 I don't need a salt water license.
    Us old farts do get some perks...Wife gets $255.00 when we die. No wife, then the government gits it. Gov git to keep your SS balance if you got a SS balance and no wife. We got it made.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie12 View Post
    I paid $100 for my lifetime license back in '89, you didn't need a license for saltwater back then so it was just for freshwater.

In '93 they made saltwater fishing licenses mandatory, but everyone that had a lifetime freshwater license was grandfathered in for a lifetime freswater/saltwater license.

Today, an Alabama resident combination fresh and saltwater lifetime license sells for $600.

Post Thanks / Like

The poster can read. He read the part about under 16 ect,but neglected to list the part about licenced fishermen being exempt.that was found in the same section. I find that odd. He can write too,he wrote the part about the 25.00 fee that I found nowhere on that link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast