PDA

View Full Version : homemade bamboo fishing poles for spider rigging

Flatwater
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Anyone do this?
I have access to a 80 year old bamboo forrest and lots of cane is 20 plus feet long and only an inch in dia. I cut some and it appears stiff enough. No real cost saving as the eyes and reel holder will cost about as much as buying a new rod. I plan on letting it dry then varnish it then add eyes and reel clasp. It does seem to get brittle when it dries and can crack end to end and I was kind of hoping the varnish will help prevent this. Any pointers form someone with experiance?

smoothlures
01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Flatwater I grew up fishing with ones we cut ourself since I was 3...I've caught thousands of crappie with nothing nothing but a cork, split shot, and a #1 gold aberdeen hook with minnows... We fished with them off our pier, nailed pipe holders to the rail and stuck them in that. Can fish with them green but let them dry yellow. They'll lighten up some once dry. Keep them out of the sun and weather.

The way we rigged them is started halfway down the pole, tied a knot, wrapped a few times, then spiraled all the way to the tip where we tied off again, then wrapped probably 15 yards plus the length of the pole minus the railing so you can lift him over easy and there's not so much slack you're fishing 8 feet to the left/right depending if they're pulling water.

Starting it halfway keeps your fish if you get a big catfish or something and he breaks the rod tip. Happened to my great grandma, she caught a 10 1/2 lb largemouth on a dead minnow. Broke the tip but she caught him with the wrap down the rod.

Never tried putting a reel and eyes on it. No need the way we fished. Like I said my family's caught thousands and thousands of crappie on them for probably 50+ years.

Simple works.

BigKyd
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Anyone do this?
I have access to a 80 year old bamboo forrest and lots of cane is 20 plus feet long and only an inch in dia. I cut some and it appears stiff enough. No real cost saving as the eyes and reel holder will cost about as much as buying a new rod. I plan on letting it dry then varnish it then add eyes and reel clasp. It does seem to get brittle when it dries and can crack end to end and I was kind of hoping the varnish will help prevent this. Any pointers form someone with experiance?

I've seen guys in Missisippi tape the reel to the bamboo and tie a bit of line to the end of the pole. No reel seat and no guides.

Dhawk
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Look at Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier (http://www.mudhole.com/) for rod building supplies.

The redneck in me would want me to try zip tying a reel to the bamboo. :)

smoothlures
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Look at Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier (http://www.mudhole.com/) for rod building supplies.

The redneck in me would want me to try zip tying a reel to the bamboo. :)

LOL. :D

Lots of guys who build rods tape them on and cast with them until they get the spacing they like for the action of the rod. Then mark the blank, pull the tape off, and wrap the guides. A few get left with tape on them too lol. :D

Just FYI. ;)

MePreach
01-07-2010, 07:32 AM
My 16 yr old son made him some last summer and I know he found it was best to hang them in a tree with a block tied on lower end. This kept them straight when they dried and turned out so good that he will not fish with my expensive rods! Maybe I need to go back to the old way of doing things...sure would be cheaper!

The Lip RIPPERS
01-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I wrap a few Calcutta cane rods for guys catfishing and they swear by them. Alot of folks use them over here bank fishing for crappie known as a "bank set" kindof like limblining with shiners. My advice would be using the aluminum oxide guides very inexpensive and a plate type reel seat, these can be taped onto the cane and work great and will fit anywhere on the blank. My cousin put it on me one time with a 14' calcutta rod jiggin for crappie, they work for sure. Only problem I see in your case is matching 6 or so close on actions for spider rigging but it can be done.

Gansett
01-08-2010, 02:02 AM
I liked DHawk's idea of using a plastic tie to secure the reel. A good red neck alternative might be a couple of small hose clamps--might even duct tape the ends down to make it real fancy. :cool: