Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter is here for good

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter is here for good

We had it easy before Christmas, but we are in for the long haul now till March. The other day I cleaned 18 inches of snow off everything and yesterday it just recovered it all with 18 inches of new fluff. From now on we won't have more than a day or 2 a month of sun and it'll snow every day several inches or feet depending on the mood of the Great Lakes lake snow machine.

Here are a few pics from me cleanin off one of the cars before and a couple shots I took at dusk tonight after it covered it all up again. Fun wow.

Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you need a garage...lol. Down here we have 2 inches of snow in the forecast and they are already salting the roads for Thursday... We are wimps in the cold and even worse driving on ice..

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

how in the world can you stand it....with all that snow?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz even down here it's been cold for us and had snow already which we almost never get. Now more snow coming they say. When it stays near freezing all day it's something we are not use to. Heck we go many years without seeing snow.

Now when I was a kid living even another 100 miles South we had gig long ice sickles every year and I remember temps down around 11, but for a long time now we just hardly see anything near that. This year is looking really different that what it has been like with 15-18 coming in a couple days.

I know you guys get that as normal, but here we don't and it's too darn cold here now.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for sharing the pics. i have nt seen snow but seen some cold temps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    Man, you need a garage...lol. Down here we have 2 inches of snow in the forecast and they are already salting the roads for Thursday... We are wimps in the cold and even worse driving on ice..
    I've been down in your neck of the woods during the winter enough to know how you guys react to snow. Us northerners laugh all day listening to the radio and all the fuss you guys make over snow when we are there.

The funny thing is 2 ft of snow here doesn't get a second look. It takes 3-5 feet in a day or 2 to get us worked up and even then not that much. It just takes longer to plow, shovel and snow blow it out of the way. If we get 2 feet of snow its only a 50/50 chance of even the schools closing and then only if its real close to freezing and it's all wet snow or super cold that makes the temperatures dangerous.

I've told this story here before, but about 5 years ago north of here I took a 50 inch muskie to a taxidermist and the snow was so deep up there it covered the stop signs by about a foot. Now that was nuts. It was like driving around in a luge run. No road or traffic signs or mail boxes. It was hard to figure our were you were, like a maze.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I remember 3 times in my life getting a foot or more of snow. When I was in the first or second grade, about 1960 or 1961, we had about 14" of snow. This was 2 or 3 snows combined, we'd get 4 or 5 inches, it would melt a bit, then a few days later it would come another one. We had about two straight weeks off from school, along with several other 2-3 day intervals on other snows. We ended up with make up snow days and had to go to school on Saturdays and well into June.

Then we had the "Blizzard of 1993." We got about 18", but some places in Tennessee got more. I never imagined in my lifetime we would never get another 14" of snow like we did in the early 1960's. This was in April, it was a dry snow and soon melted.

About 1995 or 1996, we got another foot of snow. There was a either a freezing rain or sleet storm the night before the snow began. I was irate because tree branches were cracking and breaking and keeping me awake. I moved from the back bedroom to the front bedroom, and a neighbor's magnolia tree kept cracking and popping and losing branches. :rolleyes: It was probably because it was an evergreen and collecting plenty of ice.

The local news and weather media exaggerate things and TDOT has a tendency to salt the roads even if it doesn't snow. :rolleyes: If we were ever to get a foot of snow ever again, I wouldn't doubt the State of Tennessee would be declared a disaster area.

Dontcha just love the way the local news media thinks we're so dumb? :D They constantly give cold weather news tips if the temps drop below freezing. "If you go outside, make sure you wear extra layers of clothes and gloves and head protection." "Defrost your car windows before driving." "Run your heater while driving in cold weather." "Roll up your car windows in cold weather." "Make sure all windows and doors are closed in your house." :D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Grizz. We were suppose to have a mild winter with below precip. I fished the weekend after thanksgiving 60 degrees 52 degree water ,no wind and the crappies were biting. 10 days later 18 inches of snow sub zero weather and another 20 inches since then. This morning was 20 something below without a wind chill.Ice fishing may be here till June if we keep this up. Im sick of winter already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Festus_Haggen View Post

Dontcha just love the way the local news media thinks we're so dumb? :D They constantly give cold weather news tips if the temps drop below freezing. "If you go outside, make sure you wear extra layers of clothes and gloves and head protection." "Defrost your car windows before driving." "Run your heater while driving in cold weather." "Roll up your car windows in cold weather." "Make sure all windows and doors are closed in your house." :D
    Yeah and I love all the great advice we get in the summer from the news media when it gets above 100 degrees. It is cold down here to. Looks like we might actually see 4 seasons this year, nice change.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

must be global warming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast