Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on crappie rods

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Question on crappie rods

Okay, here's a rookie question (I'm the rookie), What's the difference in using light tackle on spinning rod/reel, or a light weight spinning rig and one of those 10 to 12 foot long poles. I understand that the long poles aren't for casting, but is there a difference in fishing?

Thanks!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

we use long poles for casting here....mostly 12 footers....we can fish 12-13ft deep with a fixed cork with a long pole
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I had rather use a 8 or 10ft pole to tight line with just because if a fish barely hit's your bait it will be more detectable. For an example if you had a 6 ft rod in one hand and a 10 ft rod in the other and shook each one equaly the 10 ft rod would be more dramatic at the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rods

Im no pro, and we cant use more that 2 rods here. I use a 9 or 10' rod all the time for casting a small float with a 1/32 oz or smaller jigs. One problem with the longer rods are line stiction to the rod itself once everything gets wet espically the 12'. Armoralling your blank helps. Also they normally use smaller guides which i dont think is that much of a problem. What the longer does for me when float fishing is allow me is allow me to drop my tip and keep slack so im not causing my float or move or drag, then i can take up alot of line on the hookset, and lastly is the longer rod plays fish better in open water. Ive caught big fish on 12' rods and 4# test.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

What I like best about the 9' & longer pole are these things....

Long line trolling behind the boat with your trolling motor it is much easier to keep your line from getting into your prop on the big motor and then you got a mess. Especially if the wind is blowing some from one side it will make the back end of the boat skew away from the wind and if you line is on that side of the boat it is really easy to get you line in that prop on a short pole. Also when I get the chance and they are right on the bank in 2' of water I can troll motor very slow down the bank and just kind of flit my Roadrunners to the bank and pull it along in and out. You can even see them come up and take it, great fun!

Next when fishing in the summer most of my fishing is vertical and it is a lot easier to know your fishing say 12' down and if you are there is not much need to reel and just life the rod.

You can cast if your shoulder can take it, but being a bit older and many parts not working so good I try not to do much of that any more.

There are probably more, but this is enough for me.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

when i tell kids or beginners how to get started, i tell them to do what is comfortable for them. I for one use zebco 33's on my casting poles(5-7 ft) long. On my long poles (8 - 12 ft) I use open face spiners. That is whats comfortable to me. If your not comfortable with what your using, you wont catch as many fish.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'll go pick up a couple of the long poles and give it shot.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 lb on rods from 4'6" to 12'. Each has a purpose and I like em all. I like a longer rod for bobber fishin( both set and slip) and presenting jigs from the rod holders. I sometimes cast light jigs with a 10' and 4lb line. The added distance is enough to reach places that are off limits, and the strikes are great! Suffice to say that there are no set rules when doing all this stuff. For trolling and pushing the long rods are the best but I feel there is a little getting used to them. Just another tool for the box, have fun with em.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Rehartl, Eagle Claw makes (or used to) a great 9' featherlight gold colored rod for crappie. It's great for fixed bobber or slip bobber. Dunno if they make any longer rods of this series, but it seems like they are only about 30 bucks. If you can get one 10' or 12', I advise you to buy one. Mine has a cork handle, but not sure if the newer ones do. I also have a 5' Eagle Claw featherlight, have been using it at least 25 years and not even had to re-wrap the guides and it still has the original rod tip.
    Last edited by Festus_Haggen; 01-04-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the long poles difficult to cast and set hooks on lite biters. I use a 7 foot lite action with 4 or 6 lb test for casting. I think the ultralights are too whippy for real casting unless it's a stiffer high modulus blank. I have found UL's that are stiff enough for effective casting though of the better more $ varieties. Others can give you better advice on the long poles. I don't use em much. I've never seen anyone use the long ones better than Darryl and Jerry when I was in Arkansas last year.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast