Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Retire " at 62 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Retire " at 62 ?

Turn 62 this month, anybody "retire" at 62 and still working? Is it a good idea or should I continue to work full time?

Post Thanks / Like

If I ever see retirement age, I'll be outa there so fast it'll make your head spin
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

You will probably have to wait until your 66 or more to retire with full benefits. "THEY" say you won't recoup the difference by waiting until you turn 65 or 66 whatever your age for retirement is now. If you do retire, at any age, just be sure to keep active and have something to keep you mentally sharp. A lot of people think that they can just lay around and not do anything but your body is use to being active while working and when you slow down activity your body will react and not positively. That is when health issues will show up and start to interfear with what you have planned during your retirement. Get a hobby or something that will challenge your mind so you will stay sharp mentally as well as physically. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I retired at 53, for the last time. Now, I stay active by helping out other people do odd jobs, vol. for helping at the VFW and American Legion, and entertaining at parties. I do a lot of cooking for organizations, which is what I seem to do best and fish when there is time and weather.
    The biggest time comsumer is my wife. She still works as a nurse traveler, so I take care of the cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. etc.
    Could not imagine just sitting around, that would put me in the ground quicker than anything I can think of.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start drawing that check ASAP. The way the freggen government is running SS into the ground, it won't be here much longer. I have a long time before I can even think about drawing. It won't be there when i get there. Work till I die.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    I would start drawing that check ASAP. The way the freggen government is running SS into the ground, it won't be here much longer. I have a long time before I can even think about drawing. It won't be there when i get there. Work till I die.CF
    I 2nd that. If you can draw start.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Had a friend retire just the other day (62).
    He said the lady down there (SS office) told him he'd be getting $1,300.00 a month, and he could work "BUT" do not make over $14,300.00 yr or he would be "Penalized", and said it would be a nightmare to straighten out. However, he could put his retirement benifits on hold and return to working if he saw that he would have a good year coming, then he'd have to reverse the process to go back to retirement (I suspect another nightmare).
    I myself just turned 62, and, based on my friend's info, have decided to just draw unemployment (around here=$1,200.00 a month) between jobs till I get to 65-66, then I'll re-figure from there.
    Also, I go to the gym every day (when I'm not workin), still got a lot of belly I got to work off, but muscles are doing very well.
    "IT'S ALL IN THE DIET", stay away from fats and sweets, get a diet program going, plus exersize program, make it a way of life ! ! !
    I use this program->
    http://support.dietpower.com/
    Last edited by Phantom309; 01-03-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biggest factor

I retired at 55, but worked part time until I was 62. I took SS at 62. In my case I would have to be 83 before I lost money because of drawing early.
    The biggest factor is INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to go on wife's insurance
    until I got on medicare. Wife will be 62 in February, but will have to keep working until 65 to have insurance!! To pay out of pocket would cost over
    850 dollars a month You have to be either filthy rich or poor as a churchmouse to come outahead!
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Or a military retiree. I got both the wife and I on Tricare Prime at a cost just under $50 a month. It does not cover dental or eyes though. I did the extra for dental and it is just over $60 a month for that.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Insurance is the biggie. Be sure you check this out and have a good plan before quitting work. That being said, my Dad had his accountant figure which would be best for him. She told him he would break even with the amounts drawn when he reached his 78th birthday should he elect to wait and draw his SS at age 65, so he began his at age 62. 'Course he's 78 now and as strong as a bull, but he told me he wasnt waiting because you arent guaranteed tomorrow. I got awhile before I can draw but when I turn 62 I'll be drawing my pennies too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast