Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: B n M Sharpshooter, 5'5" rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default B n M Sharpshooter, 5'5" rod

I'm contemplating purchasing one of these for dock shooting. I currently have a 4.5 Pfluger Microlite. Will I get greater distance with a 5.5 rod?

Thanks, Wally "FishnFed"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... BnM sharpshooters have enough backbone to really launch a jig. Longer rod will also help too. I tried the BnM shooter this year but I didn't really like it. Its one of those rods that loads up down towards the handle and I've always used the kind that loads up out towards the tip. Just wasn't a good fit for me.

I've used a 5' UL Ugly Stick Lite for about a year now and I'd say its the best dock shooting rod I've ever used. On top of that, they come with a 5 yr free replacement warranty so you dont have to worry about breaking them which was always a problem with all my previous shootin rods. I would give them a look before buying the BnM.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The 5' Ugley Stik is what I will be using tomorrow for the first time dock shooting.I was out chucking a jig today trying it out,it is older,but has caught hundreds of fish.Forgot how good it actually felt until today,
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fellows. too many rods.....too little time. that is like too much horsepower or too much cash....no such thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I used one for the first time last year.I found that I didnt have to pull back as hard on the lure with the longer rod to get it to launch. It worked fine for me although last year was my first time shootin docks. I tried a couple of shorter rods before i got the sharpshooter. Carry lots of jigs and prepare to tie some line!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 5.5 sharp shooter and like it for dock shooting.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Wally ... IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by FishnFed View Post
    I'm contemplating purchasing one of these for dock shooting. I currently have a 4.5 Pfluger Microlite. Will I get greater distance with a 5.5 rod?

Thanks, Wally "FishnFed"
    While the BnM Sharpshooter is a nice little UL rod, and can certainly be used for shooting docks, ..... IMHO there are better rods out there.
    I've seen/held a Sharpshooter, some years ago, and found it to be a bit on the "whippy" side, for my personal preference.

While I have shot docks with rods from 5ft to 8ft long, micro-lite to med/hvy action, and with spincast & spinning reels from UL to the 2000 series in size .... overall I'd recommend a 5-6ft rod with a med size or wide spool spinning reel. If you can find one, a IM7 blank would be preferred ... simply because it would load up better than the softer IM6/parabolic bend types. This results in a faster "shot", which will help increase your distance. But, be aware of the fact that the rod, alone, is not the whole story. Having a reel that has a wide spool/extended spool, is an equal factor. This is important, since the small spool reels hold smaller wraps of line, increasing the friction/drag. Wider, or long cast types of spools will release more line, more easily .. resulting in greater distances.
    Now, mind you, these rod/reel preferences are "mine" ... and may not necessarily be for everyone, or even for all instances of dock shooting. I don't even have these, myself :p ... I make do with what I do have. So, if you're shooting docks that are fairly open, or not too expansive ... then you may get by with a wider variety of equipment.

Some other factors I've learned :

Soft line shoots better than "XT" lines.
    Weedless jigheads are worth their extra cost.
    Solid body plastics "skip" better than hollow plastics or hair/feather jigs.
    Always allow 2ft of distance between the dock and the end of your rod.
    Shoot under Pontoon boats, as if they were mini-docks.
    Follow-up shooting a stationary dock, by "Vertical Casting" the shaded dock posts.
    Expect to "see" more hits than you "feel".
    PRACTICE for accuracy !!! (timing of your release, & the aiming angle of your rod)

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

i shoot docks with a 6'5 M carrot stix....nice and stiff and i can shoot a 1/16 jig 40-50feet with it with out loading the rod up all the way....plus if it snaps its lifetime....but they are a lil pricey
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a half dozen different rods for dock shootin. the shimano clarus, 6ft UL rated for 2-6lb test is my weapon of choice. most of the bend is in the upper half. shoots farther an more accurately than any other I've tried. BG babyshad on 1/16 an 1/32oz round heads "skip" better for me.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like both the 5 1/2' UL & 6 1/2' L St Croix rods..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day