Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working On My Crappie Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working On My Crappie Boat

I just wanted to share my neat experience with finding in old boat for crappie fishing this year. There are many pictures and videos I shot of me fixing up the boat. I hope to get some ideas from you-all on how to make it a crappie fishing machine.

Here is the thread J. Studebaker Boat – A Rare Find - iboats Boating Forums

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

never had or fished out of a v-bottom boat so i cant help you out much...it is a neat looking boat tho..
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great looking project. Keep us posted

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting....that is a neat old boat.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

BigD, extremely cool old boat. Though I know nothing of this brand, I can answer some questions that you had. First, the boat will be a bit rolly in the water. being skinny and light it will roll side to side more than it's newer cousins. Keep all seating as low as practical, keeping the center of gravity as low as possible. The sharp nose will cut rough water nicely, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Second, never sand aluminum unless paint or such is very thick. Scotch brite pads in different grit will do what you need and not remove more aluminum like sanding will.
    Third, yes- Stainless hardware doesn't do well on aluminum in the long run. Corrosion is stronger than regular steel. Some tempered aluminum hardware is available but hold onto your wallet. Akin to special order. If you must use steel use a good galvanized steel hardware and replace when signs of rust become evident. Zinc and aluminum are closer than Steel or stainless.
    Don't remember if it has oarlocks but if you put your mind to it you can mount rod holders for trolling without drilling more unwanted holes.
    Great boat and a fun project. I had a 58 johnson that would have done nicely on it. Before you decide if you want a merc, johnson or whatever, look into the availability of parts. The old white Keikafer mercury's would look cool on it, some parts are very hard to find. Some actually ran backwards to achieve reverse.
    Thanks for sharing your project with us, and look into local vintage boat clubs to help you in the finer points of what you're doing. Tight lines.....Tim
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Tim, I do appreciate the advice. I was wondering about the SS and aluminum. I just finished sharkhiding the whole boat. You can see part 4 video here YouTube - studebakermovie4short.wmv

There is a rounded lip around the entire boat. It is flat on the inside and roles outward. Would there be a rod holder for that?

Also, I bought a Minn Kota 55 thruster new Trans mount. I was hoping it would move the boat as primary. I have many launching spots so everything would be within 1/2 mile of dock. Obviously I would not go out in high wind.

I was just trying to figure out how to control the boat from the back and still be able to shoot docks, troll, and vertically jig from the back.

There is also a need to figure out where to put the anchor. It would be nice if I could control a bow mount anchor without having to run to the front...lol

Thanks for the advice and anymore is appreciated.

D

Post Thanks / Like

These are great rod holders! I have 4 on my boat.

They aren't cheap but will last you a lifetime!

Down-East Salty S-10 Rod Holder

I'll be honest with you, you're not going to have real good boat control with a transom mount trolling motor. Being a Deep "V" hull, the slightest wind will push your boat... I know because I own and fish out of a deep "V". You may want to invest in a drift sock.

That is a very cool looking boat and I know you'll catch many fish out of it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GCD.

I will look into a drift sock. Maybe I will have to run a bow anchor for control?

I can cast for crappie so a little movement is fine. But I just don't want to be spinning.

D

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my anchor in my wife's boat toilet...uh...I mean....a 5 gal. bucket....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

elec. anchor winch mounted under the front deck would be nice and you could control it from the back of the boat or you could install eyelets and pulleys and put in a hand winch but they are a pain in the butt....i would you flat mount drift masters as far as rod holders....keep us all updated...i want to see how this thing turns out
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast