Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Terminal rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terminal rig?

I know there will be a lot of different answers due to your kind of method but I was wondering about terminal rigs. What do you present to the crappie? I am a jigpoler and like to feel the thump and about all of my fishing is done with a single jig, not set up for minnows. With the wind and cold for the next few days don't think I will be able to get out to the lake so I tied up a few other kinds, one with 2 jigs and two with a single jig with a bell weight on the end of the line. Going to put them in poleholders while I jigpole. Both aimed toward where I feel the fish will be after I get back out, deeper. I just tied 3 overhand knots to make my dropper loop about 12" up the line. I know I should tie a regular dropper loop but I sure have a hard time with it. I know I should retrain myself to use the palomar knot for my jigs also but its hard to teach and old dog new tricks, need to put a sign up by my trollmotor.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You're ahead of me...I've thought about multi hook rigs but haven't tried it yet. Lately I've wondered if a salt water sabiki rig would work on crappie.

As for the knots...here's a good link with several knots described. I look for the easy ones because I can remember them. There are several more difficult ones if you want to try them.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is any help but I watched and was part of an elderly lady on a floating
    dock/tire reef outfish the ever-livin stew out of everyone else walking the dock with a
    (looked like) 1/2 oz bell weight at the end and 4-5 tiny jigs spaced a foot apart going up from there. I think if a fish tugged downward of course she could feel it but those that came upward ever so little had to lift the bell weight and she immediately felt a
    "lighter rod". Or that was my impression. She held her rod so carefully-it was like she was concentrating on swirling a jig around inside a shotglass from 100 ft above-really
    a pleasure to watch her. I wasn't much of a jigger at the time and truth is I still ain't,
    most folks can fish next to me and do better but like you I enjoy the hit. Good luck.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default knots

Here is another good link for knot tying
    http://www.animatedknots.com/
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I love to fish a double jig rig and there have been many times I have caught two fish at a time. I mostly do it on windy days for the added weight and extra offering.

Post Thanks / Like

I was also thinking about buying the largest sabiki rig I could and tip the hooks with that berkley bait strip material that you cut just to give it some scent and flavor.
    "The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself any fishing gear!"

Post Thanks / Like

16ft rod's, 4 hooks with the bottom hook then a 1/4 oz sinker, Then 30" up the next hook then 30 more to the next. Fishing 8 of these out the front of the boat.
    Pete