Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tell me your favorite draggin setups

Post Thanks / Like

Default tell me your favorite draggin setups

i fish a lot of kentucky rig with weight on bottom and two either jigs or minnows tied directly to line up about 18" and 24" this time of year.

seen a diagram some guy had posted that he used a jig first...line...egg sinker...jig on bottom. how's that supposed to work? maybe he drew picture wrong.

seen some people like jig...crimp on sinker...jig on bottom. advantage of this? how does that pull?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setups

Let me see if I can help explain it a little. If you are familiar with your lake and you know the bottom depth well, this is a great way to fish it, but if your not very sure about the depth, or it is up and down all the time, the weight on the bottom might be best.

Does that make any sense? You can still fish with the weight in the middle on any lake, and watch your depth finder just adjust you line depth, you have to know how much distance between the hooks and weight.

One of the reason's of the weight in between the two hooks , if you get hung you can just bob the weight ''straight up and down'' and the weight will knock the hook loose, most times.

It is a great crappie gett'er, and most pro tournament guys use this set up, and are very successfully with it.

Good luck.....crappie cowboy

www.johnwoodsguideservice.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie cowboy View Post
    Let me see if I can help explain it a little. If you are familiar with your lake and you know the bottom depth well, this is a great way to fish it, but if your not very sure about the depth, or it is up and down all the time, the weight on the bottom might be best.

Does that make any sense? You can still fish with the weight in the middle on any lake, and watch your depth finder just adjust you line depth, you have to know how much distance between the hooks and weight.

One of the reason's of the weight in between the two hooks , if you get hung you can just bob the weight ''straight up and down'' and the weight will knock the hook loose, most times.

It is a great crappie gett'er, and most pro tournament guys use this set up, and are very successfully with it.

Good luck.....crappie cowboy

www.johnwoodsguideservice.com
    Does the rig you are refering to use a 3-way swivel with a leader for the top hook or do you tie the top hook directly to the main line?
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

i use a small crank bait at the bottom with a 3-way 18in above and then a 1/16 jig coming off the 3-way with a 12in leader
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like a jig on the bottom- usually 1/4 oz with a 1/O hook (big hook= more hook-ups). Then 18" above a three-way with another 1/4 oz jig and a safety-pin spinner on a 12" leader. The two jigs together weigh 1/2 oz and that is plenty enough to get me deep in the small, shallow lakes I like to fish. The water here is nearly always stained so the spinner provides flash and vibration.

By pulling 4 rods I can figure out quickly which color combos are working. And I will substitute a crank for a jig on a pole or two. For me, black curly tail jigs or black/pink usually do the best. I also use nibbles for the scent factor.

Once I find fish that are biting, I mark the spot, sit tight and fish till they stop biting.
    What?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the rig I was talking about:

I tried it out once, I could not keep the top leader from wraping around the rest of the rig.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigKyd View Post

I tried it out once, I could not keep the top leader from wraping around the rest of the rig.

Try shortening the top leader until the jig is above the sinker by 4"-6" and use a heavier line (12-14#) for the top leader only. The shorter top leader in conjunction with the heavier (stiffer) line should help. I tie my Capps & Coleman rigs with 14# on the top leader and keep it 8"-10" long...no tangles so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigKyd View Post

Here is a similar rig I use. The 4" hook lear and short leader helps prevent the upper line from getting tangled.

The snaps allow the weight to be changed for different conditions. Jigs and minnows on hooks can be easily changed as well.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA View Post
    Here is a similar rig I use. The 4" hook lear and short leader helps prevent the upper line from getting tangled.

The snaps allow the weight to be changed for different conditions. Jigs and minnows on hooks can be easily changed as well.
    pan man where do you get those wire things that makes your top leader stand out
    ADAPT OR DIE
    AND KEEP THE CHANGE-HANK JR.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I found some rigs set up with two of the wire spreader and a snap on the top and bottom of the line. It also come with two hooks on leaders of 20 lb line (guessing the line lb ) Found them at Academy Sports for .49 cent each. They are called Crappie Rigs, I bought all they had (15) at the store I was shopping. I use 8 to 10 rods while spider rigging and I believe they will save some time rigging the rods once on the lake.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast