Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock shooting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock shooting?

I posted this on my state board, but guess not a lot of guys in my area practice this method very often. I have never really fished this way but have seen videos and read plenty of articles. My question is this...Most everything I read or see is about shooting standing docks with legs. All of the water that I fish have floating docks, that rise and fall with the water level, do these docks produce crappie? Its seems like there only couple feet off the water, so I would have to get pretty accurate to fish under them. Also, is shooting docks a post spawn method? Thanks for any info!!!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in Clarksville, Va (Buggs Island) have floating docks. Some you are luck to have 1 ft clearance but they can be shot. Well I shoot at them but others are quite good at it. Sit you a coffe can in your back yard and practice.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Skippin your jig on a flat sidearm cast will get you back there too. Smaller jigs stay in the zone longer, and hang ups are frequent. Cheap stuff til you get the hang of it. It's tons of fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Just what is shooting docks???
    THE Nimrod Kid

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Harold, check out the video.

YouTube - Crappie Fishing / Dock Shooting

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

You need to start with a good rod like a 5'6' BASS PRO MICROLITE ROD with 4 lb test line. Next you will need some 1/24oz chenille jigs or rubber body jigs per individual preference. With lots of practice you can shoot a jig into a 1 inch square hole at 30 feet. This is the most fun way to catch crappie ever. It can be frustrating also. Floating docks are the easiest to shoot and can be very productive. Here in Georgia you can catch fish most anytime of he year under docks. The key is keeping the rod parrallel with the water before you release the jig.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started shooting the docks last week,only bluegills and one bass so far,was a blast though.Have'nt lost any baits yet,Just have to find the right bait to use.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I posted this on my state board, but guess not a lot of guys in my area practice this method very often. I have never really fished this way but have seen videos and read plenty of articles. My question is this...Most everything I read or see is about shooting standing docks with legs. All of the water that I fish have floating docks, that rise and fall with the water level, do these docks produce crappie? Its seems like there only couple feet off the water, so I would have to get pretty accurate to fish under them. Also, is shooting docks a post spawn method? Thanks for any info!!!!

Hi,
    I fish some lakes that have floating docks. I have more luck shooting jigs under the pontoon boats that are tied to these docks. I catch them year around under these pontoon boats. Summer and winter seem to be the best for me.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

The B&M Sharpshooter works pretty good shootin' docks;Tie on a Crappie Thunder road runner for good results

Post Thanks / Like

The lake I fish has all floating docks. I just started shooting docks this year. Im using a med light 6ft rod with high vis yellow 4 # line.Like mentioned earlier keep rod parral lel to the water.I use 1/32 jig with Bobby Garland baby Shad because they skip better thn anything else Ive tried. I like the high vis line cause they might just put slack in the line instead of thumping it.With the setup I use I can shoot a pontoon tied to a dockfrom the back between the motor and pontoon and it will skip all the way to front of pontoon boat.I started practising in my shop setting in a chair and shooting at another chair and finally got where I could shoot 35 feet and hit the leg of the chair.Its not hard to figure this method out it just take a little time to get good so maybe one day I will get good at it. Go to myoutdoortv.com then search Russ Bailey video and look for shooting docks. Its a great video and very informative.Most fish I have caught in December have hit the jig while falling so watch your line cause most of the time you will just see the jig stop falling.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast