PDA

View Full Version : strangest thing you have ever found or had happen while fishing

rieve
12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
lets hear some good stories about strange encounters while fishing.

2pounders
12-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Out fishin with my buddy Chuckr (mr. gadget) late one night on lake whazzit called. Each of us in our own portables 50 feet apart. A good heavy snow was falling, temp in the 30's with no wind. The crappie bite was on! I was throwing my catch out the side split in the canvas, by the hinge of my vintage fishtrap into the fresh snow. After thinking I was close to my limit, I went outside to count fish. I looked and dug through the snow, not finding one fish. I thought this was a fine joke ol' Chuckr is playin on me. So I go to his shack for the laugh, and he denies everything. Claims he hasn't left his house in over an hour. I plead for my fish, so I can know how many more I can keep. He claims to know nothing of my fish. I leave telling him he'll be stuck with the fish he took, and be over his limit when the warden shows up!! I go back to my shack to find both my rods bent over, (safe in the groove rod holders that snap onto the conduit frame of my fishtrap) and reeled in 2 more slabs. 3/4 +. Well I knew better than to throw them outside again, so I put them on the ice under my feet. It wasn't long and they were piling up again, I'm having fun catching slabs and playing with all the ice fishing toys. I looked down just in time to see a slab go out the slit in the canvas. I didn't think much of it.(how far could it flop in the fresh snow?) A bit later, adding another slab to the pile, I look down and there are only 2 crappies showing!, (counting the one I just added) I look through the slit and under my chair for my fish and there's a large mink underneath me right behind my boot! I nearly jumped through the roof, and mr. mink grabs one of the 2 remaining crappies and runs out the slit. (which I left open cause it was warm with no wind) I went in pursuit, and tracked him to a nice new pemanent house nearby that was up on blocks and wasn't banked with snow yet. The mink got in under the house through the holes, which were not covered. The door was locked, so all I could do was shine the flashlight through the window. There was the mink, and a big mess of fresh slabs that were supposed to be mine!! I called Chuckr out and we watched helplessly for a bit as the mink ripped into his feast with much zeal. Scales, guts and blood were flying all over this poor guys new house. Well there was nothing we could do without breaking in, and the mink had no reason to come out. So we had a good laugh, and I apologized for accusing Chuckr of stealing my catch. (who would have guessed?) I had an excuse to keep fishing with only one slab remaining in my possession. I had no problem that night recatching my limit! It was an excellent evening of fishing, with the weather, the unbelievable crappie bite, and the real close encounter with a very cool, but greedy mink. It snowed well over a foot in the time we were there, big flakes and no wind, and we fished till the wee hours of the morning hoping for slabs over 2 pounds. None that night, but all were over 3/4. We returned the next evening and got to meet the guy with the new permanent. He saw no humor of the mink invation. It had ripped his new carpet through to the wood in many spots, ripping into the fish with his claws, and had scales, and fish carcasses all over. It ate every one of those fish, and then left a few deposits of his own! Peew! The fishing that night was much slower as the skies had turned clear, with a beautiful sunset, and later with northern lights and a few meteors to boot. Plus 20 more slabs with a little work. Borderline livin! It just don't get much better than this!

bob baldwin
12-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I found this car on the first trip out to Lake Bryan in Oct '09. Never saw or caught any big fish, but still looking. Also found two concrete bridges in Lake Somerville. Here is a view of the longest one. We have put some trees down, but haven't had a chance to fish it yet.

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA

Flatwater
12-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Catching fishing poles:
I was drifting along and I see a rod tip sticking up out of the water. I go over to it and pull it up. Nice old baitcaster rod and reel. I am still using it. The very next week, I snag something heavy and I slowly muscle it up. It is a cast net slam full of fishing gear, I heive it on in and there is a line going off so I pull and pull and up comes a rod and reel, spinning reel, worked fine.

Ken Jones
12-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I was trolling for trout in a resavoir and a swimming badger tried to get in my boat. Know I didn't kill him.

wwwUncle
12-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I found this car on the first trip out to Lake Bryan in Oct '09.

Did the local law enforcement know about that car??

bob baldwin
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
No one had any idea it was down there. Fishing boats had passed right over it for years without realizing it was a car. Side imaging picked it up the first pass. I put several images on three CDs and gave them to the State Game Warden and Bryan, Texas Police + Fire Dept. The fire dept sent divers down to confirm it was a car, and then pulled it out with a wrecker. It turned out to be a Delta 88 last registered in 1993. I have some official fire dept photos and side scan images on my web page:

pages.suddenlink.net/wa5jot/SAR.html

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA

Locator79
12-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Growing up, we never had a boat, and I spent a lot of time fishing the banks of paylakes, catching tons of channel cats. One day after the morning bite slowed, and it turned into the sit and wait time, I was about to start on luch, when I noticed one of my floats go under. I dropped what I had in my hands, reached for my rod and set the hook. I could tell I had a fish pulling on the other end, but it was more heavy than anything else. Once my line reached the bank where I was sitting, I pulled up some old fishing line, grabbed it, and it had a rod and reel on it. I though this beats all, when I went to reel in the waterlogged outfit, it had a fish on it. By the time it was all said and done, I had about a 30lb. blue cat, on a 5' pushbutton set up. Released the fish after a couple pics, and let a little boy sitting down the bank from me have the rod and reel. One of those things you would have to have seen to believe.

crappieseeker
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I had a muskrat attack me one night while fishing. I had to beat that thing away from me, he would not go down easy

crappieseeker
12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I made one cast with a jig and almost caught my limit on one cast. I threw out and stuck something and it was fighting like crazy. I just knew I had a good one on. Got it in and it was someones stringer full of fish that had gotten loose.

crappieseeker
12-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Hey Bob, is that a rod and reel hung up in the car in the pic?

bob baldwin
12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
It may very well be, but I wasn't there when the fire dept pulled it out. The car had some brush piled on it, and someone may have lost their rod & reel in the tangled mess. Lots of people fish the channel from the bank, but the car was about 85 feet out, so it may have been lost off a boat. I wondered about that myself...

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA

Bartman
12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
When I was a kid we always went to a farm pond that was in the middle of corn fields. We would catch lots a channel cats there. One day the whole family including my grand parents, walked back there and there was a truck parked there and you could see a blanket and a whole lot of skin under it. My dad told everyone to wait and he went to investigate. I'm not sure what was going on (lol) but a man and younger women got in the truck and left...

lhumphre
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
bob--it looks like someone dropped a nice brush pile with cinder blocks attached? or did the fireman use those for something?

bob baldwin
12-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Yes, there was some brush being held down with two heavy cinder blocks. I got a few lures from the brush, and the cinder blocks, too. :)

bob baldwin
bryan, texas
997c SI
1197c SI
AS GRHA

Dogrockit
12-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Was wade fishing for Bass in Brushy Creek(Round Rock,TX),While landing a 5 lb bass a Cottonmouth snake rose up from the bottom(3 ft away from me) struck a 15" Channel Cat and swam to the bank on the other side of the creek to eat it.......As you could imagine,how fast I ran .....hehe

it's a goodn
12-30-2009, 02:06 AM
I was fishing in a bass tournement this past fall with a buddy of mine and
the bass were busting big school's of shad on the top. We were both throwing
shollow running jerk baits at these bass and it was almost every cast you would catch a fish. I got a fish off the hook and threw back as fast as i could and as soon as my bait hit the water a grey herion swooped down and grabbed my 10$ bait and started flying off with it. I tryed to slow him down to get my bait out of him but he spolled my rod and didn't slow down. I got to watch my buddy burnem up and 10$ fly away!!!!:rolleyes:mad:(

rnvinc
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I made one cast with a jig and almost caught my limit on one cast. I threw out and stuck something and it was fighting like crazy. I just knew I had a good one on. Got it in and it was someones stringer full of fish that had gotten loose.

I wonder if that actually goes towards your limit......:rolleyes::):)

GCD
12-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Was bottom bouncing for Crappie on one of my favorite creek channels when I got a huge hit! Big fish!.. figured it was another big blue cat or flathead, but it wasn't running they way they do. It would pull drag and stop, and it was like it was swimming in circles. What the heck? After about a 20 minute fight I land this thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/greencoachdog/DSC01831.jpg

A huge Blue Pancake! (Smallmouth Buffalo)

In one side of it's mouth was my minnow hook and on the other side was an old abandoned trot line. I got both hooks out and wrapped the trot line around a cleat on my boat and took the pic. I let the poor old thing go, and I imagine he was well relieved to be free from his tether.

Then I pulled up the rest of the trot line and one end was wrapped around a stump. I finally got all the line pulled in and could tell that the cotton twine on each end had rotted. It looked like the fish had been pulling the trot line around for quite a while and there not telling if he hit the trot line when it was baited and broke the cotton twine that had it tied off, or if he just accidently picked up one of the hooks while sucking bottom after the ties on the trot line had already rotted.

keeferfish
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Iíve posted this story before.

Fishing with my son this spring he spotted a bobber apparently left by a bank fisherman. Of course he wants to pick up every bobber he sees. As I get close it disappears. A few minutes later I see it on the other side of the boat. After chasing it around for quite a while we give up. About a half hour later and on the other side of the lake about 400 yards from the original location he spots another bobber. This time I shut the trolling motor down very early and drifted to it and pulled it in with a 12 inch crappie attached to the end. It had to be the same bobber. The fish that almost got away ended up in our frying pan.

NIMROD
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Was bottom bouncing for Crappie on one of my favorite creek channels when I got a huge hit! Big fish!.. figured it was another big blue cat or flathead, but it wasn't running they way they do. It would pull drag and stop, and it was like it was swimming in circles. What the heck? After about a 20 minute fight I land this thing.

In one side of it's mouth was my minnow hook and on the other side was an old abandoned trot line. I got both hooks out and wrapped the trot line around a cleat on my boat and took the pic. I let the poor old thing go, and I imagine he was well relieved to be free from his tether.

Then I pulled up the rest of the trot line and one end was wrapped around a stump. I finally got all the line pulled in and could tell that the cotton twine on each end had rotted. It looked like the fish had been pulling the trot line around for quite a while and there not telling if he hit the trot line when it was baited and broke the cotton twine that had it tied off, or if he just accidently picked up one of the hooks while sucking bottom after the ties on the trot line had already rotted.

You tossed back some fine eating. The ribs are great fried the rest is good too, just boney.

NIMROD
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I was fishing a bass tournament about 20 years ago in Pine Bluff . There is a park on the Slackwater Harbor off the Arkansas River. Right a day break we were catching some good Bass and spotted something dark bobbing in the water. Well turns out it was a black couple and they got pissed cause we would'nt leave. Man I had caught a couple 4+ lbers and was'nt going anywhere. They stood up buck naked and walked down the bank and hit the water around the point. Funny thing is they went the same direction we were fishing. lol lol lol !:o:rolleyes::eek::D lol lol lol !

blairarnold
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
When I was about 12 years old my boy scout troup went on a 3 day float on the Buffalo River in north Arkansas which is an incredibly clear river. My dad went as well. We caught a tremendous number of brownie (smallmouth) bass and had fried fish for supper every night. After supper Daddy and I would go frog gigging to add some frog legs to the next night's fish fry, and we gigged several frogs. As we came up to one of them the light showed not only the frog, but there was a nice sized water mocasin under the water about 6 inches below the frog and looking right at him. I gigged the frog before the snake got him and we backed out as quick as we could paddle. It was definitely that frog's time to die as he was toast one way or the other.

GCD
12-30-2009, 11:29 AM
You tossed back some fine eating. The ribs are great fried the rest is good too, just boney.

That's what I read when I researched it on the www. I first thought it was a Carp until someone told me what it was when they saw the pic. I have caught 2 while Crappie fishin' with minnows, bottom bouncing both times... and both were big, have never caught a little one. When I researched them it said they mainly eat plankton, but I think they turn omnivorous when they get big to maintain their massive bulk.

Here's the other one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/greencoachdog/DSC01332.jpg

I'd give them a try at the dinner table, but I don't eat large fish anymore.. pollutants are cumulative and the big ones have lots. I just throw the big ones back and let them make babies!;)

Crappiekiller3
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
One time in the fall, four of us were fishing out of a 16 ft aluminum
fishing boat. Kinda dangerous but we were close to my cabin. I was running
the ten horse in the rear, got a hit and said "got one", about the same time my buddy in the next seat says "me too", then the guy in the second seat says "Yeah, me too". While the three of us were reeling in fish, the guy in the first seat's rod doubles over the boat, he fighting some big, suddenly he says "I got a whole mess of them". He had snagged someone's wire fish basket with 28 white bass in it...all still alive.

GCD
12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Me and a buddy were Bass fishing a creek early one evening, I was in the front throwing a buzzbait and he was throwing a worm from the back of the boat. I try not to watch my buzzbait on the retrieve because I had a bad habit of pulling it out of the fishes mouth, so I look around while reeling it in. As I was looking around I see a medium sized Owl sitting in a tree and I thought "Cool! an Owl". On the very next cast of my buzzbait this Owl launches itself out of the tree and heads straight for my buzzbait, now I've unhooked my share of duck type birds and a few seagulls and pelicans down at the coast without incident... but I instantly knew that I didn't want any part of unhooking an Owl with razor sharp talons and a flesh ripping beak, so I let my buzzbait sink before he got to it and the Owl turned around and flew back to his perch in the same tree. Well I was pretty amazed about the whole thing and asked my buddy "Did you see that?"... he said "see what", I said that dang Owl up there just tried to get my buzzbait... he said "Bull"... I said watch this, let's see if he tries to get it again and I cast back to the same spot. Sure enough, here comes the crazy Owl swooping out of the tree trying to get my buzzbait agin, so I let it sink again and he flew back to his tree. Like I said, I didn't want to catch an Owl so I motored us up the creek before made another cast.

The Bass weren't feeding very much that day, but the Owls were hungry!:D

crappiewisdom
12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
My Dad, brother, and me liked to go to a place in Michigan every year to fish in early June. Then Dad died several years ago. He died at the end of May. A week after Dad's funeral, me and my brother decided to keep the tradition alive and went up to our spot in Michigan. We were sitting in the boat on the water, in basically the middle of nowhere, getting pretty drunk reminiscing about Dad. All of a sudden, a white parakeet landed on the boat. He then jumped up on my brother's shoulder for a about a minute and then jumped onto my knee. Then he flew away. Me and my brother looked at each other like "what the heck was that"? We then started laughing out butts off 'cause we figured it was our Dad just checking in to see if we were catching anything. Me and my brother still laugh about it. Somebody's pet bird probably got loose and landed on our boat, but I prefer to think it was old Dad checking out his boys.

NBCrappie
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Going through a narrow channel, passing another boat. A guy on the other boat set the hook with a passion with a 14 ft rod. The fish flew up in the air. My partner reached out and caught it from about 10 feet away. Gave it back to the guy and had a good laugh.

kincade
12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
while cat fishing in the mississippi river we were anchored down, after no fish in our spot, we went to go pull up the anchors. They wouldn't budge, after nearly 30 minutes of tugging and pulling, and tearing an ab muscle, we got the anchors up and a 26 ft extension ladder. I guess you never know whats down there.

J.E.Clayton
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
I was fishing a turny at lake hugo a few years back. I was letting my jig drop to the bottom when I hook something that did not fight back , it wanted to stay on bottom. I got a big surprize when I got it to the boat, it was a rock, with a hole in the middle of it. I still have it.

azslabber
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I have caught many wierd things,but the best was about 4 weeks ago,we were slow trolling the lake for striped bass and I snagged up.I started slowly pulling it in and it was coming,so I just took my time.It got to the side of the boat and it was turning yellow,lol.It was a castnet all full of shad and little bluegills,the livewell got filled up and the castnet on the side of the boat to dry out,and off we went,lots of catfish that day.

NIMROD
12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
I CAUGHT A TURTLE ON A SPINNERBAIT WHILE FISHING A BASS TOURNAMENT.:o

LouisianaFishNut
12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Back about 20 yrs ago my best friend and I was running a trot line for cats out on Toledo Bend in LA. On one of the trips, I pulled the line up and saw a turtle head and I thought Awww crap... Then when I started to lift it in the boat to unhook it, I found extra legs, tail and an extra shell! There was another (male or female) attached to the one on the line! Guess "hooking up" got them hungry! :) Either that or the one on the line just didn't have a choice! Only time I've ever caught two ANYTHINGs with one hook!

CrappieKillerJigs
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
was running and gunnin on the river this fall...was running about 45mph as i left the main river to shoot down a creek arm....30lb silver carp went air born and all i could do was duck....it hit the front of the console and put a big ol crack in the 125ga alum....my father inlaw looked at me and said glad that wasnt your head....worst part about it is i had to get a new console and that was the first trip out in the boat....lmao

1Caprandy
12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I have caught two fishing rods that I lost in lake one when a catfish jerked it out of my hand the other when I fell out of the boat with it,ask God for help on the first one a new Stradic and he delivered it back to me! I found a buoy floating loose at the coast that had a huge turtle on the other end with the line wrapped around his neck and saved him from drowning,had a small bird land on my boat 30 miles off shore and stay till he caught his wind and left,had dolphins come up beside my boat after I heard them clicking inside my head,they stayeed around for some blown out ballyhoo then left lotta of other stuff just have to rememeber 30 years of fishing.

barry davis
01-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I was fishing a small creek near my house here in central Ark with a small crawfish looking crankbait. Wham what a hit, when I get him in theres two lures in his mouth, theres mine and another lure . The EXACT same kind of lure im using .It was stuck in his throat, line broken off. I never saw anyone fishin that hole but me. WEIRD I extracted both lures and released him. Ive also caught two fish on the same lure at once, a jerkbait. Pro angler Mark Davis caught two bass at the same time on a spinnerbait with no trailer hook. Just one hook. I watched it on TV. Wild outdoors you just never know.

bobberwatcher
01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Although not a "fish catching" story, but a couple years ago, JohnR, another friend and myself was fishing on the upper end of Lake Ouachita for crappie in the fall. I could hear some turkey's waaaaaaayyyyyy off in the distance. After scanning the far bank, I could see a flock of turkeys of about 20 or so. Turns out, they felt the need to fly across the lake in which we were fishing. (Bear in mind, it was probably about 1/2 mile across from one side to the other. The two hen turkeys made it across with no problems, but the poults made it about 3/4 of the way and hit the water. Yes my friends, turkeys CAN SWIM but they are pretty pathetic at it! I would have never believed it unless I would have seen it with my own eyes and lucky for me, I had two witnesses (and they don't drink!)

hotmod
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Recently I was fishing from a boat dock & jigging right by some brush, got hung up but with slow steady pull it was comming up. I thought I had a branch from the brushpile but when it surfaced it was a lantern. BTW it was NOT still burning.
Made for a good laugh after catching 155 undersized crappie with only a couple of keepers.

rieve
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
I was crappie fishing with a buddy and he claimed to be hung so i told him to hand me his pole since i had a better angle at getting it unhung. when he handed me the pole i noticed the bobber bouncing up and down and realized he was not hung:eek:. I proceeded to reel in the fish on my ten foot BnM and it was putting up a heck of a fight. finnally got it up to the boat and netted a five pound largemouth. whether or not he was actually hung up I will never know but he sure was mad that I got to reel him in.:)

fultondalecrappie
01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I caught some underwear with a spoon.

rnvinc
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
I caught a "toe-digger's" mesh bag while fishin bridge piers for catfish....it still had 2 'washboard' mussels in it....

I was in 25 ft of water so I'm guessin the current had pushed it there from some unknown region farther upstream...

I bet the illegal mussel fisherman had either lost it or nearly got caught with it while "toe-diggin" for mussels and he had to ditch it....to get rid of the evidence....

pondhopper
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I was cat fishing in a coal pit.Got hung up,managed to pull up a treadle sewing machine.Montgomery Ward model.Didn't keep it,to bad a shape.

plumcrappie
01-31-2010, 09:19 AM
one late afternoon I was fishing a brush mat when about a 3# bass came right up to my boat. I could see something in its mouth. bent over to pick up the fish (the darn thing didnt even try to move) Got the bass in the boat and it had about a 5" bule gill hung sideways in its mouth. got the gill out and watch both of the fish swimm of together. I guess the fish new I only eat crappie and felt I would help her out.

Jignjim
01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Was fishing the Tenn-Tom waterway after the water had gone down from being at flood stage. I was running up an old dead river run about 50 yards wide when something shiney caught my eye. I pulled back on the gas as quick as I could and floated up to a trot line about head high to me sitting in the boat. Someone fishing for catfish had failed to pick up his stuff. Don't run that part of the channel very fast anymore.

liplifter
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
my dad brother and I were bass fishing an abandoned golf course pond and I hear my bro yell and go running over my dad had caught him with a devils horse treble right throgh the ear.the lure went through my bro's ear and my dad kept on fishin' like nothing happened.

ledouxmike
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I caught two bass on a bandit crankbait. I've done that twice.
I caught a 20 blue buffalo on a crawfish colored crankbait. Two 15 lb gar on a crawfish colored crankbait in the same day, just casting at them after they surfaced. Caught a 3 inch bass on a 4 inch spinnerbait. Just a few strange things.

Hoosier Hog Daddy
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Years ago we were on our annual bass fishing trip to Kentucky lake. My brother-in-law was out one evening casting for bass and was working his worm rig on the bottom when he felt something. We watched his line heading sideways and giving the bass ample time to run, he reared back and set the hook. The fish didn't seem to put up much fight but continued to run one direction then the other. When he finally landed the fish...to our surprise it was a pie pan ! Of course that was the big story back at camp that night...as my family really got a kick out of it. The next day my brother-in-law once again headed out to the lake. After landing his first fish, he opened up his live well and to his surprise, it was full of pie pans. My prankster brothers got a second laugh out of that one.
HHD

c1bigocarp
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM

C1bigocarp! Makes you wonder why I chose that handle....

c1bigocarp
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Me and a buddy were Bass fishing a creek early one evening, I was in the front throwing a buzzbait and he was throwing a worm from the back of the boat. I try not to watch my buzzbait on the retrieve because I had a bad habit of pulling it out of the fishes mouth, so I look around while reeling it in. As I was looking around I see a medium sized Owl sitting in a tree and I thought "Cool! an Owl". On the very next cast of my buzzbait this Owl launches itself out of the tree and heads straight for my buzzbait, now I've unhooked my share of duck type birds and a few seagulls and pelicans down at the coast without incident... but I instantly knew that I didn't want any part of unhooking an Owl with razor sharp talons and a flesh ripping beak, so I let my buzzbait sink before he got to it and the Owl turned around and flew back to his perch in the same tree. Well I was pretty amazed about the whole thing and asked my buddy "Did you see that?"... he said "see what", I said that dang Owl up there just tried to get my buzzbait... he said "Bull"... I said watch this, let's see if he tries to get it again and I cast back to the same spot. Sure enough, here comes the crazy Owl swooping out of the tree trying to get my buzzbait agin, so I let it sink again and he flew back to his tree. Like I said, I didn't want to catch an Owl so I motored us up the creek before made another cast.

The Bass weren't feeding very much that day, but the Owls were hungry!:D

Unbelievable:D

JBledsoe
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Last summer my wife and I were fishing the Payette river. My wife moved down stream and around a tree clump from me. Soon I heard her scream and shout something so I went to see. She had caught a perch and while reeling it in a bald eagle dived out of the sky and caught the perch. There was considerable discussion of ownership of the fish. After several minutes my wife won, the prize was a fish with several talon holes in it.

gone_fishing
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Probably the time we were out fishing and I was watching these swallows dip to the water when all of a sudden a bass greeted that swallow. The Bass did miss but it just goes to show what an opportunist fish are. A few moment slater my son made a cast to that bass and caught it.

GCD
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
I dreamed I was fishin' one time... then I woke up in the boat and realized it wasn't a dream after all!:p

Limb Bream
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Several years ago, I was with a buddy and we were fishing at a Game & Fish lake and it was froze over. I mean the ice was about 4' to 6" thick. The only open water in this cove we were fishing was where other boats had been previosly or where you could bust the ice. I had been told that people were catching pretty good stringers of crappie and even some limits on tube jigs. We were fishing this one open hole of water next to the ice and had caught a few. All of a sudden, my buddy grabbed a paddle and started banging away on the ice. I asked what the heck he was doing and he told me to look at all of the crappie piled up in a ball just under the ice. Like they were trying to get out. He was trying to help them. He couldn't break the ice so we started trying to get our tube jigs as close to the wad of fish as we could. We caught a few but the ones we caught were near the bottom; not the ones piled up just under the ice. They stayed there for 10 - 15 minutes then went away. We never did see them again. We ended up with a nice mess of crappie. We decided we had enough of the cold so we left. Wish we had a camera as this was before cell phones with cameras.

LB

Williefb
02-02-2010, 10:25 PM

You gotta be kidding.

Williefb
02-02-2010, 10:37 PM
You gotta be kidding.

May have mistaken this fish for a carp???? If it's a sucker.... my grandfather used to swear by them for good taste.

Williefb
02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
1. My cousins found a body floating in Center Hill.
2. My uncle caught a pelican on a shallow running crankbait. When the pelican got to the end of line he stopped his flight. My uncle reeled him in and got the crankbait back and released the bird with no harm.

Redy2Fish
02-03-2010, 07:50 AM
In the 70's, I observed a large bass chasing a squirrel back and forth for about 25 yards on Lake Conway. It seemed like the squirrel was teasing the bass. Bass would jump/swim its body about 1/2 way out of the water and wiggle back in. The squirrel would just back up a couple of feet and move sideways.

fishingtim
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Fishing out of a bass buggy many years ago I caught a 1 - 2 pound bass. After unhooking the fish I tossed the fish back in the water right next to the boat. The fish immediately jumped out of the water, clearing the edge of the boat and landed at my feet. Only time I could say I had fish jump into the boat.

fishingtim
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Fishing a log jam pushed up next to shore in shallow water we noticed a duck that appeared to be stuck among the logs and frantically trying to fly away. Feeling sorry for the duck we figured we'd try to free what ever was entangled around the ducks foot. Moving the boat closer to the duck to asses the issue i was pushing logs out of the way to get closer. As we got nearer i couldn't see anything around the ducks ankle, but it looked like it was caught in a fork of a log. Trying to move the log out of the way with a paddle, looking throught the dirty water I then made out a snapping turtle as big as a dinner plater holding on to the ducks foot. The turtle was unable to pull his prize catch under water. I tapped the turtle on its shell several times with the paddle, the turtle let loose of the ducks foot, the duck went tearing down the shore, and the snapping turtle swam away.

Uncle BS
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
While fishing on a creek bank I noticed a squirrel, it hopped on a log laying acoss the creek, made its way to about the center of the creek to an acorn on the log. About the time it grabbed the acorn a 10 lb bass jumped out of the creek and all I could see was a big splash, both squirrel and acorn were gone. While I sat there amazed I saw the water start moving agian. It was the same fish and it laid another acorn on the log!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOTCHA!!!!!!

mozingo1952
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I was about 12 ( 1965 ish) with my dad , he was about to launch our boat on Lake Texoma , we heard a loud pop. Look up and saw an airforce jet trainer going down and two parachutes open. the jet dissapeared over the treeline , then a big fire ball appeared and we heard the explosion a few seconds later. We got in the boat , ran down the creek, and round the point to the main lake. The hill side was on fire, and a ton debris floating in the lake . A Helicopter showed up a few minutes later, landed
on the beach. they asked about the crew, we told them we saw parachutes, and they
took off.
the military roped off the area with a few hours and a couple of days later a
big barge raised the plane.

MO

NIMROD
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
You gotta be kidding.

Buffalo are great eating if fixed properly.;)

slimeyslab
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I once saw a limit of fish in my livewell.. It was a very strange and rare sight..lol.

NIMROD
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I caught 2 fish with a single hook not once but twice. First was Bullheads and other was Bluegills. Same thing on both first fish line came out it's gill and second bit the hook.:rolleyes:
Several times have caught 2 Bass on one plug that had a pair of trebles. Once saw my mother hook 3 Bass on a Rattlin Rouge but it had 3 sets of trebles , only landed two though.
Caught a metal snap stringer full of Bass on Conway once with a plug.
Hung a spinnerbait on a log on Conway Lake. While trying to shake it loose a duck moved in on it. As it broke loose it hooked the duck in the head and killed it.:o
We caught a big fish Eel on the Arkansas River at night. Thought it was a Catfish in the dark. Tried using the dip net but it went through, talk about being puzzled. Till we turned on a light.

Countryboy N.C.
02-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Some of the things I have seen while fishing, I could not tell on this site. You would not believe.

Big Crappie 2
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
While drifting one year at Ebenezer bridge, I was casting for the hybrids that were in the area that day.Icaught 2 back to back and figured that there was some more in there.On one of my next casts, WHAM!!!All of a sudden, the thing started swimming one way and then another. Was all I could do to reel this monster in. The more I reeled, the harder it was to pull it in. Finally, anxiousley wanting to see this thing, it came to the top! Wouldn't you know it! Sign says" NO FISHING FROM THE BRIDGE'. I guess someone tossed the sign where they could "FISH FROM THE BRIDGE"!!Put the sign on the dock when we got in.

Good Stuff
02-03-2010, 08:21 PM
While drifting one year at Ebenezer bridge, I was casting for the hybrids that were in the area that day.Icaught 2 back to back and figured that there was some more in there.On one of my next casts, WHAM!!!All of a sudden, the thing started swimming one way and then another. Was all I could do to reel this monster in. The more I reeled, the harder it was to pull it in. Finally, anxiousley wanting to see this thing, it came to the top! Wouldn't you know it! Sign says" NO FISHING FROM THE BRIDGE'. I guess someone tossed the sign where they could "FISH FROM THE BRIDGE"!!Put the sign on the dock when we got in.

That's funny!:D

GRIZZ
02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I went fishing with Darryl and he caught fish!! JK buddy. Wait did you catch any or was it just me? :D

CrappiePappy
02-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Fought & landed a waterlogged 2x12 that kept diving & pulling first one way, then another :p

Buddy & I rescued a stranded Racoon ... critter was caught on a bluff wall, no way up & no way down. Used the dipnet, scooped him up and took him to a area of bank where he could get back into the woods from.

Grandparents & I saw a commotion on the surface of our local lake. Went to investigate, thinking it was "jumps" (surface feeding fish). When we got there, it was a 4lb Bass with a 2lb Bass hung in its mouth :eek: .... ethical angler that my Grampa was, he pulled them apart & released them.

Brother & I were fishing a city lake (apt complex lake) where he lived. Momma Duck and 4 ducklings decided to swim across a patch of water weeds, close to where we were fishing. Water exploded, and Momma & 3 ducklings scrambled out of there, raising all kinds of cane. :p Bro & I figured one of the big Bass, that was known to be in that lake, had decided to have "duck salad" for lunch :D

Fishing for Ky Spotted Bass, one year in Oct (gin clear water conditions) ... throwing a top water prop bait, I had about a pound & a half KY come up and grab the plug. About 3 seconds after setting the hook & commencing to reel the fish in ... I see a large brownish flash, right where my hooked fish "used to be" :eek: ... seems a Smallmouth wanted the Ky Bass more than I did ;) I never felt a thing, just saw my bait slowly rise back to the surface ... minus the fish.

Caught fish several times, different trips, by laying down my rod (on boat or dock) with bait hanging out over the water's surface ... and having fish jump out of the water & grab it. (Bluegill & Yellow Bass)

Just about every fishing trip I take, "something" memorable happens ... so much so, that my late fishing buddy used to always say we were "going on an adventure", as opposed to saying we were just 'going fishing'. :cool:

... cp :cool:

Slab
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Great stuff. I'd like to create an article for the home page out of some of these posts. I'll credit the specific poster. I love this thread, I think it'll make a good read. Let me know if anyone has any objections.

fishinRod
02-04-2010, 11:02 AM
A few years ago my wife and I were bass fishing, throwing plastic worms toward the bank, we come around a boat dock and there was a snake curled up on the bank near the back of the dock, I told my wife "watch this" and tossed my worm near the snake, I thought he would get spooked and slither away but instead he struck at my worm and took off up the bank. I started pulling back and this snake is reared up pulling back, my wife starts yelling "get him get him!" I would manage to get it to the waters edge and then she would start screamin "No! No! get him away" this went on for about 10 seconds or so and I tried my best to get that snake in the water but he had my pole bent in half and had no intention of getting wet......finally my hook and half the worm came flying at me......seems I didnt have him hooked, he just had the shank in his mouth and decide to let go. We had a good laugh about her cheering me on and then having a fit to get it away from her.

crappiedewd
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Snagged a beaver (unintentionally) while trolling at Arkabutla about 10 years ago. He didn't stay on long, I pulled back a hook with a tuft of beaver pelt on it. I saw him later that morning and he flipped his tail at me. cd.

crappie10
02-04-2010, 10:30 PM
a buddy, nearly blind, had a twister tail jig hanging over a limb a couple inches from the water and a bullhead jumped up and ate it. I helped him land it.
my son caught 2 bluegills with 1 hook. one was wrapped up in the line.
I caught 2 white bass on a rattle trap. Dad caught 2 bass on a rapala.
we have snagged at LEAST 6 rods over the years.
Fishing a bass tourney years ago, we found a gym bag floating along the bank. I rolled it over and the smell was awful. I unzipped it and there was a very dead cat in it.
Dad had a spot on Lake decatur Il. where he started getting snagged in this one particular spot. He told me it was strange, because he had never been snagged there before. Then a boat hit something there and the lake patrol used their 997 to find a car with a dead woman in it. Now that I think about it, that was the day my son and I won the crappie usa regional.

GRIZZ
02-05-2010, 12:33 AM
One day when I was a kid I was fishing off the end of an uncles dock in the summer. I had one of those red and white bobbers and a worm on. I took a nice long cast. One of those nice high looping casts except this time the bobber and bait never hit the water. It just came to a stop in mid air about 10 feet above the water and the line just stayed up in the air in that big high arc. For a couple seconds I just stared at it kinda dumbfounded then it all started slowly goin up higher in the air when I remembered a story someone told me once about this happening just before he got struck by lightning. I dropped everything like a snake bit me and spun my tires till I was up against my uncles house. By the time I was at the house the line started going down and just gently dropped back into the water. I waited quite a while before I went back out to get my gear. Never saw any lightning. Sure gave me a fright though.

JIG Gene-e
02-05-2010, 01:47 AM
One day when I was a kid I was fishing off the end of an uncles dock in the summer. I had one of those red and white bobbers and a worm on. I took a nice long cast. One of those nice high looping casts except this time the bobber and bait never hit the water. It just came to a stop in mid air about 10 feet above the water and the line just stayed up in the air in that big high arc. For a couple seconds I just stared at it kinda dumbfounded then it all started slowly goin up higher in the air when I remembered a story someone told me once about this happening just before he got struck by lightning. I dropped everything like a snake bit me and spun my tires till I was up against my uncles house. By the time I was at the house the line started going down and just gently dropped back into the water. I waited quite a while before I went back out to get my gear. Never saw any lightning. Sure gave me a fright though.

Grizz. What you been gettin for an OZ of that chit?

Iuka22
02-05-2010, 05:35 AM
I saw a green case floating in the water, waded out to get it, turned out to be a 50 piece socket set.

GRIZZ
02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Grizz. What you been gettin for an OZ of that chit?

Strange but true. I've read about this happening to others.

"What if you hair stands on end?
If you are outside when a thunderstorm is nearby and your hair starts to stand on end, a fishing line literally hangs in the air after casting, or a plastic rain coat suddenly begins lifting into the air, lightning may be about to strike. These phenomena are caused by an extremely high electric field in the atmosphere. Seek shelter immediately. If caught in the open, crouch down as close to the ground as possible without having your hands touch the ground."

Shoemoo
02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I standing at Dash Point pier casting for silver salmon when I used to live in Washington state. The fish follow the beach and go around the point to get to their native rivers in the south part of Puget Sound. I was casting a plug cut herring with a pair of 2/0 octopus hooks, about 6" apart.

You cast out, let it sink, then retrieve it with a series of jerks, letting the herring fall a bit between jerks. I felt a bump on the line and set the hook, and the fish just took off. He was just going everywhere, and I couldn't control him at all. When I finally got him up to the dock, I found out why. The top hook was lying flat against the fish's back, and the bottom hook was hooked in the bend of the top hook, with the line wrapped around his belly. I had lassoed him by the armpits.

JIG Gene-e
02-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Grizz. I always enjoy reading your post. I'll try to keep that in mind.