Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: casting reels on long poles who uses it

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Default casting reels on long poles who uses it

I'm thinking about rigging an ozark up with a casting reel, and wondered who has it and how they like it. I only want to verticle jig with it so casting isn't an issue. I think it would be better because of the drag and you never get line twist (braid aint cheap) I wonder who makes a good light wieght one?
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 10' with a plain ole' openface and I cast with it a lot. I fish the banks a lot and it helps me to get my stuff up out of the water before I have to drag it through the weeds and snot grass. I also vertical jig with the same setup. Works for me
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I use a small baitcasting reel on my long poles when I'm spider rigging . It makes depth changes much easier than a spinning reel. I still like the lighter feel of a spinning reel for jigging though.

Post Thanks / Like

mo picked up 2 wally marshall casters at bp for Christmas they look real small have not tried them yet did not see how much they weighed

Post Thanks / Like

Default MOQuack

I have bought 6 of these 3 oz. reels from Grizzly Jig co. on line for $5.99 each plus shipping...... they are a pretty nice little reel and cheap, that is all I use them for is tree dipping..... I always order 3 because shipping is $8.?? so I can get 3 for the same shipping charge..... If you go to their site, click on weekly special and it should come up....... order 2 uncle bucks for 26.00 one worked the other stripped out first time I set the hook......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto what TnRidge said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TnRidge View Post
    I use a small baitcasting reel on my long poles when I'm spider rigging . It makes depth changes much easier than a spinning reel. I still like the lighter feel of a spinning reel for jigging though.
    Same here.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a lot of them and the Wally Marshall one is the best I have used so far. I have them on jigging and spider rigging rods both. They are a 4 oz model that is like a miniture bass reel. It has a star drag, tension knob and a push button release for the spool. I can even cast a 1/8th oz jig with it. $20 at Bass Pro.