Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about wading at Grenada

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about wading at Grenada

I made my first trip down there from Missouri last spring and saw a lot of fishermen out wading in the water. I am going back down in March and am planning on wading since we didn't have much luck in the boat. My question is what kind of poles do you use when your wading, length and action and also what kind of reels. Thanks for your responses I have an idea but just wanted to hear from some people that know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wading Grenada Lake

Most the guys I know use a 10' light jig pole, and a small light reel, like a Bass Pro's uncle bucks to hold a small amount of 6 lb. line.
    Jig size should be 1/8, color on Grenada is chartreuse & blk, chartreuse& red and lime chartreuse.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

crappie cowboy

www.johnwoodsguideservice.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much what cowboy said. However I prefer an 11' jig pole. Don't forget a floating basket with a rope attached, you can use a stringer, but the basket is faster and easier.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Wading is a great tactic in the south we deal on them good here from March through April, and sometimes into May. If your not fishing shoreline cover a 10' rod may work. But if there's any cover at all we use the 9-0' M.H. "SlabSticks" with 4/15 PP braid and 1/8 jigheads. If you cant keep their head up....it's over!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't wade fished the lake in a few years, but used to all the time. IF I still waded a lot, and fished the stuff like we used to wade like the Ironwood bushes, I'd have to invest in one of these poles: BNM Fishing

I saw one at the Grizzly show year before last, and vowed I would invest in a 10 footer if I get back into wading again. No line outside the length of the pole to hang every little twig. Only thing I don't like is it doesn't have the reel seat on the very end of the butt. I probably would modify it to make it that way though. Looks like it would be ideal because you set the hook in the thick stuff with the line in your free hand anyway, and looks like there's enough exposed line between the reel and the line feed hole for holding an snatchin'.

As for a reel, most anything will work, because you're not gonna have out but 3' - 4' (max) of line anyway. I'm partial to the little Zebco 11T underspins. I've got them on all my jig poles.
    Last edited by luvjign; 12-27-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

11ft Ozark, west point el cheepo reel, 8lb hi vis line, 1/16 to 1/8 oz orange or pink head, orange/chart body or glow chart body. The bigger the better.
    Stick yo jig in there!

Post Thanks / Like

Snakes----snakes----snakes Alive. That's Not For Me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    Snakes----snakes----snakes Alive. That's Not For Me
    No need to fear'em. They're as shy towards you as you are to them. Yes, there's cottonmouths in the lake, but in the 25 years or so I waded in the spring, I prolly only came across 8 or 10. The water snakes are what's plentiful. They just look intimidating because of their size, but they will get out of your way. Just remember: round pupils = water snake (non-poisonous snake)...........slender/vertical pupils = poisonous snake (cotton-mouth). And yes, you will find yourself getting that close to tell the difference in the eye pupil if you want to fish bad enough. Just don't go slappin' at a cottonmouth, and you'll be allright. And the kicker...........if you see a top/blow-down with a big pile of big monster water snakes ganged up all over it, you can bet the bank there's some crappie in that top. I can't remember when that didn't hold true. It's worth workin' it over with a jig.
    Last edited by luvjign; 12-29-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

The water is not to cold for snakes in march and april? I figured ya'll were wearing waders?
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Don't Need Fish That Bad