Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Lazy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting Lazy

While I was taking pictures of my graph mount for Karl I also took one of my latest contraption.

One of my regular customers has been telling me I need to rig up a stand for my minnows so I don’t have to keep bending over to get them from the bucket I keep a few in on my deck. I've also had to pick minnows up off the deck a few times when I've knocked them over with my big feet or forgotten to take them off the deck when moving to another spot. So I Jerryrigged a minnow caddy that also holds my Arky Buoy Markers, scissors/forceps, drink and a few hooks and sinkers.

I started with a 6-inch PVC cap and a piece of 2” PVC pipe for the post with a ½” x 12” galvanized hex bolt with washers on both ends and a nut at the bottom to secure it to the deck. Yes, I drilled a ½-inch hole through the deck – it’s a work boat! I put a ½” washer on the bolt above the deck to keep the pipe centered on the bolt. It's very sturdy.

The upside down 2” PVC cap is for split-shot and hooks and the plug on the string is to put in the cap when trailering to keep the hooks from blowing out. The scissor/forceps holder is made from 1/2" electrical conduit clamps held on by #10 x 1/2" stainless steel screws. The drink and buoy holders are 2½” PVC (electrical conduit) couplings. The cap and couplings are bolted on with ¼” x ¾” stainless steel stove bolts, flat washers and Nyloc nuts except for the bottom bolts on the couplings, which are ¼” x 4” galvanized carriage bolts (I couldn’t find any SS bolts long enough) to keep the drink and buoys from falling through.

The Frozen Margarita bucket I've been using for my minnows was just a little too big so I picked up a paint measuring/mixing container in the paint department while I was at Lowe's. I think a large Cool Whip container would also work.

When the weather gets cold I'll get another container, drill a bunch of small holes in it and put it inside the minnow tub so when I need a minnow I can lift the inside container up so the water drains and get a minnow without putting my hands in the water. In hot weather I'll put some ice in the caddy under the container to keep my minnows cool.

The caddy is out of the way just off the back corner of my seat and keeps all the stuff I use most frequently while guiding real handy.

I can’t believe how lazy I’ve become!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engineering marvel Jerry

That is a good idea Jerry that will help the old back.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engineering marvel Jerry

That is a good idea Jerry that will help the old back.

mikeg

Post Thanks / Like

i love to see what fisherman build for their boats. they are some of the best engineers i know. half the fun to me is rigging the boat

Post Thanks / Like

lazy or smart/ smart or lazy/ i like it, now if you can just figure out away to get the reclinder in there im listening
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more good ole crappie engineering.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jerry, I noticed you are drinking some Walmart special Dr. Thunder, is it any good, does it compare to Dr. Pepper.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neat-o

great thinking Jerry, you got that problem solved and looks nice to boot.

You mean they got Wal-Marts in Arkansas now. Wow! :p :p :p :p

What will they come up with next. Thanks Jerry for all the tips on the New graph post. Your pics of you rig has given me a couple ideas for my own.
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappie66:

Yea, in my cut-rate operation the drinks I provide are from Walmart - Sam's Choice. I call them "fake cokes". The Dr. Thunder is a lot like Dr. Pepper but not as sweet. Since I've been drinking it I had to quit drinking Dr. Pepper in restaurants because it tastes too syrupy. Their Twist Up is like 7-Up, their Mountain Lightning is real close to Mt Dew and their Cola makes a real good Captain and Coke (the only way I drink Coke). They also have a good Root Beer, Grape and Orange. At 25 cents a can I can afford to provide them for my clients. Of course if Pepsi or Coke would provide their products for free just for the exposure I would be happy to offer them!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, looks like we're gonna have to move my trolling motor and rig a bait/tackle caddy on my boat now. Look real good Jerry.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast