PDA

View Full Version : Cold water immersion!

GCD
12-26-2009, 07:17 PM
How many people here wear a PFD when fishing over cold water?

Watch this vid, it could save your life!

YouTube - Cold Water Boot Camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc)

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I know I Should but, I don't. If I was fishing a lake I never fished before I probably would.

GCD
12-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I know I Should but, I don't. If I was fishing a lake I never fished before I probably would.

Did you watch the vid?

Do you not wear one because you think you're a good swimmer?

Do you ever fish alone?

Do you remember the last words of the vid if you did watch it?

bigfish5
12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Great Video. Thanks For The Link. I Always Say I Am Going To Wear My Life Jacket But I Dont Always Do It. I Even Have The Inflatable Kind In The Boat As Well As The Regular Ones. I Am Going To Make An Effort To Start Wearing Mine Every Time I Am In The Boat. Thanks Again For The Link

GCD
12-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I was on the water today and the surface temp here in central 'Bama was 45*F... and yes, I wore my PFD!

I'm not trying to be a butthole about this, but if you can't wear your PFD for yourself.. wear it for your loved ones!... just think of the hardship and sorrow you untimely but very preventable demise would bring them!

Dr. Griesbecht is an amazing man... crazy, but amazing!

Here's a couple more of his vids:

YouTube - Survival in the Ice - Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gOW8ZaYqHA)

YouTube - Survival in the Ice - Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAwzPgRYOI&feature=related)

Just remember, water doesn't have to be frozen over to kill you!!!

catman
12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
great video, thanks.

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Did you watch the vid?

Do you not wear one because you think you're a good swimmer?

Do you ever fish alone?

Do you remember the last words of the vid if you did watch it?

I watched about 7 min of the video..Thanks for the link.Yes, I'm a good swimmer but, that's not the reason I don't wear one. Yes, I fish alone about 85% of the time. No, I did not hear the last words in the video. I have 4 girls ranging in age from 3 to 13 years old. They are the world to me. I have no doubt wearing a pfd is the Right thing to do. I was trying to be honest when I answered your question. I often fish in water that is in the upper 30s. I know it can save my life. I have been fishing my whole life without one. Yes, I do have one in the boat. It's just one of those things that even though I know I'm making a poor decision. I feel comfortable on waters that I'm very familiar with. I know it does make it right. I'm not trying to argue with you because, I know you are right. It's just a choice I make every time I get into my boat. The video did make me think about why I don't wear one. I think about it almost every time I go fishing. Maybe someday I will just decide to start wearing it.

GCD
12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I watched about 7 min of the video..Thanks for the link.Yes, I'm a good swimmer but, that's not the reason I don't wear one. Yes, I fish alone about 85% of the time. No, I did not hear the last words in the video. I have 4 girls ranging in age from 3 to 13 years old. They are the world to me. I have no doubt wearing a pfd is the Right thing to do. I was trying to be honest when I answered your question. I often fish in water that is in the upper 30s. I know it can save my life. I have been fishing my whole life without one. Yes, I do have one in the boat. It's just one of those things that even though I know I'm making a poor decision. I feel comfortable on waters that I'm very familiar with. I know it does make it right. I'm not trying to argue with you because, I know you are right. It's just a choice I make every time I get into my boat. The video did make me think about why I don't wear one. I think about it almost every time I go fishing. Maybe someday I will just decide to start wearing it.

Maybe when you get old and cantankerous like me eh?!

Think about your little girls the next time you launch your boat Bubba!

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
12-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I almost Always think about my girls when I'm fishing. Mostly because I feel guilty, that I should be spending the day with them instead of chasing crappie all over the place.

GCD
12-27-2009, 01:11 AM
I almost Always think about my girls when I'm fishing. Mostly because I feel guilty, that I should be spending the day with them instead of chasing crappie all over the place.

Think about what it would be like for them to not have a Daddy to bring them home fresh caught crappie for their supper...

oldwun
12-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I wear the inflateble Mustang due to health reasons. I am not that stable sometimes and now I wonder how I would get back into my bass boat. I have thought about adding a fold up ladder on the back.

drifter106
12-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Points well taken....When it starts getting cold I wear this.

Arctic Armor Ice Fishing Suit Video: Watch it float! (http://idigear.com/video-fox.php)

There are other videos that show proof of what these things can do but I wanted to add this one simply because they make note that the suits are NOT coastguard approved floatation devices...although its obvious what they can do.

Arctic Armor Ice Fishing Suit Video: Watch it float! (http://idigear.com/video2.php)

roybuoy
12-27-2009, 11:17 AM
The first thing I do on my boat is put on a PFD before I start it up.And it stays on until I load it on the trailer.And my plan of re-entry is to stand on the foot of the motor and raise it with the trim button.The reasoning behind me wearing one all the time is, what are you going to do if you slip,trip,or lose your balance and hit your head (knocked out) and over board you go,who is going to help you then?

Billbob
12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
like roy i have 2 ,1 vest and 1 belt summer belt winter vest when i was younger i swam in comp. was a life guard now the arms and legs dont move very good

rockmike
12-27-2009, 12:32 PM
I wear an inflatable any time I'm on the water. I no longer notice having it on.

edy
12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
DONT PLAY WITH COLD WATER. I have been a body recovery diver and rescue swimmer on a fire dept. for 15 years. Even in the deep south where I work,every time I am called to get in that winter water it is pure misery even with wet suits and dive gear.When you go overboard from a simple mis-step the cold will literrally take your breath away. It will take concentration and self control to get your breathing under control. Then it will be a huge challenge to get back in the boat and the clock is ticking guys.( I like the other posters idea of having a plan to get back in the boat)The pfd buys you time and you will need it.Think it is safer in pairs? I would say 30% of drowning calls I have been on were for multiple victoms.The last drowning here was for 7 yo and 70 yo males.Grandfather+ grandson fishing on slippery slope of pond dam. Nobody knows who went first but either scenario is heartbreaking.It is extremely difficult and dangerous to rescue a distressed swimmer even in warm water,throw in cold water and you probably will not be successful.Throw in any kind of trauma,collision,medical problem,age, or alcohol and I'm pretty sure your a gonner. I'm not that fast,your family may have to huddle on the boat ramp crying for days before I get you up,and your not gonna be pretty. Please don't make me or someone like me come do this,ITS COLD OUT THERE

Leadhead
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
My brother and his good friend were duck hunting on the Mississippi River in flooded back waters. Somehow, they both ended up in the 48 degree water. No PDF's. It took six weeks for their bodies to surface. Both were experienced swimmers, hunters and fishermen and felt very comfortable with their surroundings. They left two widows and five fatherless children. None of us have ever gotten over it. Please, respect cold water; it's as dangerous as a loaded gun.

GCD
12-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Points well taken....When it starts getting cold I wear this.

Arctic Armor Ice Fishing Suit Video: Watch it float! (http://idigear.com/video-fox.php)

There are other videos that show proof of what these things can do but I wanted to add this one simply because they make note that the suits are NOT coastguard approved floatation devices...although its obvious what they can do.

Arctic Armor Ice Fishing Suit Video: Watch it float! (http://idigear.com/video2.php)

Thanks for the link Drifter! I've been looking for a good floatation suit for a while now, those darn things are expensive! Mustang and the like are 300+-400+$! I just purchased the "Cheese Head" Green Bay suit from that site for $269, the colors are kinda ugly... but they match my John Deere tractor!:p

The first thing I do on my boat is put on a PFD before I start it up.And it stays on until I load it on the trailer.And my plan of re-entry is to stand on the foot of the motor and raise it with the trim button.The reasoning behind me wearing one all the time is, what are you going to do if you slip,trip,or lose your balance and hit your head (knocked out) and over board you go,who is going to help you then?

That is the best plan RB, and has been my plan for a few years!

My brother and his good friend were duck hunting on the Mississippi River in flooded back waters. Somehow, they both ended up in the 48 degree water. No PDF's. It took six weeks for their bodies to surface. Both were experienced swimmers, hunters and fishermen and felt very comfortable with their surroundings. They left two widows and five fatherless children. None of us have ever gotten over it. Please, respect cold water; it's as dangerous as a loaded gun.

It always breaks my heart to hear or read about these tragic accidents on the news!... and is the exact reason I posted those vids.

Ranger690
12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I make my kids wear one all the time everytime. And my son ask me about mine about 2 years ago. I didn't have a good answer. Since then, it is on me. And it didn't take long to get used to it. So, if a fat guy can get used to it, so can you. I searched around and found one that didn't choke me. The fit is good. It is part of me now. And it helps keep me warm in cold weather.

From launch to back on the pavement. Thanks kids.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/Rapprunner102261/12-27-09JamesRiverandBigBear34.jpg

It doesn't help me find crappie yet!

Dayton

drifter106
12-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the link Drifter! I've been looking for a good floatation suit for a while now, those darn things are expensive! Mustang and the like are 300+-400+$! I just purchased the "Cheese Head" Green Bay suit from that site for $269, the colors are kinda ugly... but they match my John Deere tractor!:p

That is the best plan RB, and has been my plan for a few years!

It always breaks my heart to hear or read about these tragic accidents on the news!... and is the exact reason I posted those vids.

Isn't green and yellow always expensive? Has been for me....

Don G
12-29-2009, 10:02 AM
I hardly ever wear a PFD...I tried one of the new type inflatables when they first came out but it felt so heavy on my shoulders that I soom threw it in a storage box...I have 2 XL regular PFDs but can't get them on over winter clothing & I am not what you would call way over weight.

I guess the main reason that I don't wear them is they are soooo uncomfortable..If someone could direct me to a comfortable PFD, I would wear one. About every time I'm in a sporting goods store I pick one up and try it on....Just to much restriction..

The last thing Doris says when I am leaving is "wear your life jacket"..

I feel guilty..

GCD
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I make my kids wear one all the time everytime. And my son ask me about mine about 2 years ago. I didn't have a good answer. Since then, it is on me. And it didn't take long to get used to it. So, if a fat guy can get used to it, so can you. I searched around and found one that didn't choke me. The fit is good. It is part of me now. And it helps keep me warm in cold weather.

From launch to back on the pavement. Thanks kids.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/Rapprunner102261/12-27-09JamesRiverandBigBear34.jpg

It doesn't help me find crappie yet!

Dayton

Setting a good example for your children is the best thing you can do!!! *insert thumbs up emoticon here*

Isn't green and yellow always expensive? Has been for me....

Green and yellow is a life saver!:D

I hardly ever wear a PFD...I tried one of the new type inflatables when they first came out but it felt so heavy on my shoulders that I soom threw it in a storage box...I have 2 XL regular PFDs but can't get them on over winter clothing & I am not what you would call way over weight.

I guess the main reason that I don't wear them is they are soooo uncomfortable..If someone could direct me to a comfortable PFD, I would wear one. About every time I'm in a sporting goods store I pick one up and try it on....Just to much restriction..

The last thing Doris says when I am leaving is "wear your life jacket"..

I feel guilty..

Shame on you Don!... that should make you feel extra guilty!:rolleyes:

I have the BassPro Shops XPS inflatable, the one in this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/greencoachdog/DSC01802.jpg

It is so light and comfortable I don't even realize I have it on, especially when worn over a jacket. I'll often come into the house after a day of fishing and won't realize I have it on until the wife says something, or I start taking my clothes off for a shower.

It is a type 3 with type 2 performance, meaning it will keep your face out of the water should you become unconscious