Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a slab?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's a slab?

I was asked what's a slab in the Mississippi forum here on my main fishing lake, Okatibbee a 3600 acre lake in East central Mississippi. I replied that at this time here to me a 14" white and a 12" black or a 1 lber was a slab now. I just bought a scale so I can weight my fish. Okatibbee has been down for a while but I believe it is on a rebound crappie wise. We have a 10" limit, don't know if that is a help or not, do know before it was put in I have seen 6" fish keep. So I'm glad it is in place. I looked back to 2 tournaments in 1992 that I fished with partner with 30 fish limits and one was won with 29.10 lbs and the other with 30 lbs. which to me are very good averages for that many fish. So my question is what's a slab on your lake? I know there are some lakes here in MS that have some mighty fine crappie that will put Okatibbee to shame.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to that question lays in the hand of the beholder. To me a slab is 1 1/4 lb or larger. I know or have seen people talk about it for years and everyone has a different prespective as far as what constitutes a slab. So - you will get many different responses on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovetofish
    The answer to that question lays in the hand of the beholder. To me a slab is 1 1/4 lb or larger. I know or have seen people talk about it for years and everyone has a different prespective as far as what constitutes a slab. So - you will get many different responses on this one.
    I expect to as that is the point, I think it depends on the size of the majority of the fish in the lake you are fishing at that time. Now a fish from one of the big 4 Lakes here is Mississippi would have to be larger than one here at my small lake. Plus my lake has been down for a few years but I'm believing that it is on the up-swing and maybe next year a slab, at least to me, would have to be larger than this year. It seem to me that in smaller bodies of water, at least, the size of crappie runs in cycles, what do you think?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

A slab is any Sac-a-Lait you filet, and both filets, less the rib bones, would make a meal for a normal person...Me on the other hand, I keep on eatin them and eatin them until I'm about to pop. I like it when the filets are so big you have to cut them in thirds to make um cook.

Post Thanks / Like

SteveJ, here's a link to a post that was on the same line as your ?. You'll see alot of replies on that. old post
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! When were catching mostly 9 to 11-inchers a 12-incher is a slab but when we’re catching mostly 12 to 16-inchers the 12-inchers don’t seem like much!

I’ve heard big crappie called all kinds of things – “Barn Door Crappie”, “Mule Hogs”, “Hogs”, “Hog Legs”, “Sows”, etc. but if the fillets are so big you need to cut them into nuggets I call them “Nugget Crappie”.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default More than a foot long

Anything Over 12" is a slab in my book.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

On Pickwick Lake to be a slab I think it should be at least 1.5 lbs. to 2 lbs. Anything bigger than 2 lbs. is a HOG, MONSTER, TOAD, SLAB, you get the picture. But really it dependes on your lake. Some lake have smaller slabs and some have bigger.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

Them right there are SLABS!!!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krappiekrazy
    On Pickwick Lake to be a slab I think it should be at least 1.5 lbs. to 2 lbs. Anything bigger than 2 lbs. is a HOG, MONSTER, TOAD, SLAB, you get the picture. But really it dependes on your lake. Some lake have smaller slabs and some have bigger.
    Real Slabs...man those are some beauties.. What did they weigh?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast