Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie Help

Hey

I am looking to get started in crappie fishing. There are tons of colors out there. What are some main colors that I should consider? What about jig heads, are some better than others? Any other tips? I have caught them in the past, but only under lights in the summer when they will hit anything.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Look here for some tips on color.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ppie-pink.html

Post Thanks / Like

Where you at? I seem to have the most luck with black and chart. Where we fish is usually stained. Did have some luck on blue and white this summer on day's when we had a high sun. Merry Christmas!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie

To begin, A big hand wavin welcome from Middle Tennessee.
    There are some here who don't much play the color game. I do. I'd like to give you a starting point, and you will learn and expand from that. Less than 3 yrs ago I was in your shoes, and now I almost never go without bringing something back. There is a plastic bait called a Panfish Assasin and they come in many colors. Some colors to start with are Albino, black/gray, black/chartreuse, Pearl with flake, orange/chart. For jig heads I go to wally world and buy 1/16oz red hook heads, and maybe some 1/32 to go with em. Your line doesn't need to be any heavier than 6lb, and if it's hi vis yellow you'll be ahead of the game. I have a box with almost every color of assasin made and until I began tying my own jigs used them a lot with very good results. These jigs are cheap as they come and if you get hung and lose it you don't cry. Good luck in your quest and ask anu question you like. Someone out here will be ready with an answer. Merry Christmas.:D
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

WOW 30" and 7 lbs. that is nice

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

What skeetbum said...plus you can get you some Yum wooly Beavertails also.......I like black/chartreuse, pink/ chartreuse, and green/chartreuse. Road runners work good also......keep switching colors untill you find what the fish want on that particular day.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Simply put, any jig with chartruse(sp). That color attracts fish for some reason.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As an afterthought; lately I've been throwing a 1/16oz gray with flash minnow head jig with good success. Maribou or hackle feathers, doesn't seem to matter.
    Tubes or curl tails or any other type will also work, I just like the ones I spoke of cuz they've really worked better than most of the others for me. The clutter will get to you if you gather too many. In My Humble Opinion.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they is a color on the market that crappie want inhale...

Don't over look black and blue as being in the main color group..........

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Where you at, Stumpy ....

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy041486 View Post
    Hey
    I am looking to get started in crappie fishing. There are tons of colors out there. What are some main colors that I should consider? What about jig heads, are some better than others? Any other tips? I have caught them in the past, but only under lights in the summer when they will hit anything.
    Thanks
    I wanna come and fish there, if "they will hit anything" (under lights in the summer) :p

Seriously, though ... if you're just starting out, stick with the basics as far as colors go. Whites, greens, chartreuse, blues, black, and combinations thereof should get you in the game. As has been stated .. I, too, don't think there's a color or color combination that a hungry Crappie won't eat ... no matter how ugly or garish that it may be :p It's those times, when the Crappie are finicky or picky, or in a neutral mood, that color may be a triggering factor. Of course, the presentation method used in this case, is as important (if not more) than the color used. You have to put the bait in their zone, and it must stay there long enough for them to decide to strike it. Keeping the bait slightly above the depth at which the fish is, will add to your success rate ... since Crappie tend to feed "up" (they will come up to take a bait more often than they will go down for one).
    Don't let just "color" be the deciding factor ... learning where & when the Crappie will be where you can present your bait to them, is the #1 factor. (as I always say ... you can't catch them, if you can't find them) Where they will be (depth, & the type of cover they will be around) should be the determining factor on what type of presentation you use. When they will be where they are, is determined by season. Both factors (when/where) are also dictated by the presence of their foodsource, and their movement.

As far as jigheads go ... most all of them will do their job, if properly selected & matched with the proper sized "body". I, personally, prefer to use a weedless jighead ... for the simple fact that I primarily fish wood cover, and want my jig to probe that cover & return I have them custom made by one of our members, so that I can have the weight, hook size, guard style, guard color, hook color, hook style, and head shape that I prefer to use ... which isn't always available in the "on the store shelf" selections. The majority of my jigheads are 1/32oz & 1/16oz in weight.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast