Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: color combinations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default color combinations?

Is there a certain a plastics chart out there that tells you how to make some of the different types of color combinations like what the mix ratio of color is to get like a watermelonseed and other famous colors or is it a trial and error game only with home making jigs? Also I have read where flourescents have to be mixed after heating the plastics due to cooking the color out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried adding flo. colors after cooking and I have much better results adding before. I use mostly del and bear colors but my flor. colors are from lurecraft. There are some recipes out there but they only get you in the ball park. There are alot of factors such as size of hole in your color bottles, brand, how well you mix it. its best to keep track of what your doing as you go. some colors it only takes a few drops and others it takes a good bit of coloring.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that would be the case, thanks for the answer. crappieday I was fixing to order my plastic, is the bearbaits calhoun CPC 2601 medium 2.5 gallon a good place to start? About how much can I expect to get out of that amount? Or have you found that plastic cheaper at another dealer?

Post Thanks / Like

thats where I get mine from. as far has how many you can get, that depends on the size of your bait but you will get 1000's

Post Thanks / Like

How about the glow powder from bears, do you add that after heating the plastic or before and does it work well or would you recommend another glow product

Post Thanks / Like

it works great, I add about a teaspoon per cup. dont use the glow glitter, it just burns up in your plastic. The powder is the way to go

Post Thanks / Like

do you add it before heating or after heating?

Post Thanks / Like

after

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know much about plastics or coloring but they have a plastics cook book over at Tackle Underground. If they give a color mix it'd be in certain types of coloring but that is one reason I'm not getting into plastics, coloring, glitter, glow, flourescents etc. At least with a jig mold it's just the mold either hard or soft lead and whichever style hook your going to use.

You guys are and your jig bodies are all really reasonable so I just buy em!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Word of advice is to write down your recipe after you find a color that you like. Nothing worse than a month down the road trying to remember the color combination. I have found to add a couple of drops of color at a time till you get it. You can always remelt it if its not right.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post