Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big River crappie questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big River crappie questions

Does anybody have any experience/information on catching crappie in the winter in the big rivers? The Missouri River is close to me and I always hear reports of whoppers being caught in spring and mid-fall. Anybody know where they hold up in the winter and if they can be caught? I would assume that they seek the slack water behind wing dikes and at creek mouths, but I've never fished them much in the river. What do you think? Thanks.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got my eye on some good looking chutes and creeks off the Mississippi River here Dr. Jim. Haven't crappie fished the river in years but I used to find some good ones every once in a while. I'm going to try them this year. Thats my New Year's resolution.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Jim, lived in SE Iowa fishing Mississippi for a few years but didn't chase them myself after about early October when they seemed to leave the main channel areas. Always too busy walleye / sauger chasing until ice over. The people I spoke with would start catching them in the backwaters leading into the fall and would stay with them ice fishing those same backwater / chute areas. Very often they would catch them in 4-6 fow through the ice. They'd look for deeper parts of the chute also to work on but that might be only 8' in that area. My info is second hand, never worked up the courage to step out on the ice,

Post Thanks / Like

The guys around here have caught some HOGS out of the river. 3 and 4 pounders on line and also got them in hoop nets while fishing for catfish or other species. I sure would like to find a bunch of 'em stacked up. Since the river's only a couple of miles from my house, I appreciate all the info I can get. If I get something figured out, I'll certainly share the info. Thanks guys, and I hope everybody has a merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my crappie world mag, which had an article about fishing warm water discharges during the cooler months - I thought/heard about this before and completely forgot about it.

Most power plants are along major rivers and will have a hot water discharge. Google for power plants in your area and use the google satellite imagery to try and see where the discharge is located. The article said they can be successful up to several miles downstream of the plant - just watch your water temps. Fishing shallow - near logs and laydowns, especially around bends, was supposedly the way to go from what I recall.
    Swan-Diving off the tongues of crippled giants

Post Thanks / Like

The Missouri River is tough crappie fishing. The best fishing is early spring in the mouths of tributaries.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of some great fall action as well. I figure they've gotta go someplace.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some BIG crappie in the river and tributaries. Have a favorite spot but not telling. Caught my personal best this year. It was 14 1/2 inches and was so thick it wouldn't fit in the measure device. Ain't tellling where. My lips are froze shut and waiting until spring.