Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie on shad

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie on shad

I was playing with the cast net saturday and caught some 3" shad. Anyone ever catch crappie on shad? Seems like if they would hit 'em, they would be big ones.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Most lakes here just have gizzard shad, most die before you can get em out of the net. Got a tip for ya'll. Don't ever put them in your boats livewell. Some of the little ones got in the drain pipe of a buddys boat one time. His boats garaged, you wouldn't believe the smell in there after a week. Had to take a wire and run up the drain hole to get the gooo out, I about lost my lunch helping him.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Bowfin

Its Not Unusal [sp] Here In
    Fl.to Do That

I Have Caught Some With At Least A 4" Shad ,but 3" More Often
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Bowfin, we use to bass fish with live shad anywhere from two to four inches in length. We caught some nice bass. I remember on two different occasions where I hooked massive crappie trying to eat the shad. They didnt have the hook real well because the shad were so big. They came off when they broke the surface, I wanted to pass out both times. I'm not gonna guestimate on how big they were, I know they were definately big enough to get some attention had I been able to land them.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I use shad often when the bite is slow. I get them at night under lights. I use them dead or alive. Even dead they are deadly if you keep them moving slowly. I also tip jigs with them.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Yes those slabs will hit shad. I got skunked by a guy using them one night under a bridge. He pulled up next to me and asked if he could throw his cast net and i said sure. He caught about 1dz 2-3in shad, and boy did he start catching some big slabs, he was just letting them free line. Those crappie hit like strippers. He also caught about 3 slabs in the net, which he threw back of course
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

One area I use to fish had a causeway under the road that was very narrow and the crappie had to go through there on their way to spawning areas. Sometimes you could really catch them good, but alot of times they were moving through so fast and you didnt catch many. People would go in there at night and net them by the hundreds, it always made me mad.