Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wood types for crappie brush piles

Post Thanks / Like

Default wood types for crappie brush piles

Hey everybody,
    We are sinking brush for mostly icefishing here in Ontario natural lakes with black crappie....I have access to lots of white cedar and wild juniper trees, all dead and dried real good. Looks like willow is a good choice and oak, cherry, etc, My question; is it a mistake to use cedar/juniper trees for these attractors??? thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lake that has standing timber and we have some of the best luck when fishing cedar trees. I never put out any crappie cover, but this was discussed a little in the structure section of the board, some thought cedars was bad and others like using cedars. Some of the reason they give for not liking cedars is that you hang up in it worst, and the algae don’t grow on it as soon as other forms of structure. In my opinion I like cedars, but as I said there will also be other that doesn’t. You may want to check the threads in the structure section there is starting to get some good information in there.

And by the way I would also like to welcome you to the board, you will find several good people here and is willing to help in any way they can.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Hey captnhazelwood69:

I'm not familiar with those varieties of trees but I don't see why they wouldn't work. We use cedar trees here - the aromatic kind used in cedar chests and cedar closets - and they work real well. You may want to stand them up for best results by putting a jug at the top and all the weight at the bottom or "planting" them in a bucket of Quickcrete. You'll need a LOT of weight for dry trees - we always use freshly cut, green trees and leave the leaves or needles on them.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com