Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair vs plastics??????

Post Thanks / Like

Default hair vs plastics??????

is there a certain time of year to use hair or maribu type jigs vs tubes or plastics? does it depend on h2o temp? spawn? water color? whats your thoughts? i pretty much use plastics, tubes/stingers. the only hair type jig i use are pin head/popeye tipped w/minnows. i have a decent selection of tied jigs but just havent used em. thanks for any thoughts. hope you all have a merry Christmas, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's a bad time to use hair or feathers. I tend to use plastics in warmer weather.

Post Thanks / Like

I use hair or tied jigs in the spring during the spawn. They hold up better than plastic, and the fish aren't as picky about color then. Fall and winter I use plastics while slow trolling, it's just a lot easier to change colors to find what they want.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I typically go to hair jigs during the coldest months when tightling. But I know that hair works well in the spring also, but then again ive caught them on cigerette buts in the spring also. It really depends on what you have confidence in, but worth trying them both any time you go.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

So it appears there's not really a wronge time to try em, feelay I normally use plastics for one reason you stated, easy color change. Drill instructor I think you caught crappie with bad habits on the cigarette butts, but I guess what I'm trying to wrap my mind around is what is the need for having each in my box, maybe its a simple as it depends on what the fish want??? I guess just being unfamiliar with hair/feather jigs I'm just trying to educate my self on the difference in them and plastics and when are they the go to lure.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

i like hair jigs all year round but will use plastics also in spring and summer.....once the water gets cold ill use nothing but hair jigs...i can work them very slow and still get a ton of action...
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I like to use hair jigs during the colder temps. I like the tubes for the ease of changing colors and action during the other seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Mike View Post
    I like to use hair jigs during the colder temps. I like the tubes for the ease of changing colors and action during the other seasons.
    Make that times 2 same here.............:D
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I Only Use Tubes And Paddle Bugs/puddle Jumpers Hair Jigs/bucktail Is Great Just Cost Is Too Hi As I Loose A Lot . Learned To Vertical Jig With Bucktail 25 Years Ago. Switched To Tubes 10 Years Ago

Post Thanks / Like

Default Different strokes..........

I catch 'em year round on tubes. Used to use hair and feather also but migrated to just tubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast