Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: easy molds

Post Thanks / Like

Default easy molds

get you a tuperware container just larger than the baits your trying to make. glue your bait top side down to the bottom of the container, put in as many baits as you want but leave 1/4 inch between them. make SURE the in tire bait is glued down. Spray a light coat of pam over the baits and the bottom of the mold. Mix up some fiberglass bondo resin being careful not to put in to much hardner. when mixed well pour slowly around baits. Make sure you have at least 3/16 of an inch above the baits to give you a strong mold. give it a few hours to dry and pull your bait out. No sealing the mold id necessary.Wait a couple of more hours and your ready to pour in your plastic

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

you are the man!

Post Thanks / Like

The one piece molds aren't that attractive to me, for a pork/frog or craw chunk they're fine.. but for a round worm, grub, or minnow/shad pour... they leave something to be desired for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    The one piece molds aren't that attractive to me, for a pork/frog or craw chunk they're fine.. but for a round worm, grub, or minnow/shad pour... they leave something to be desired for me.
    when the mold is made correctly you can get a 90% round mold made. I have a few I made but aluminum is better for higher production

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieday View Post
    when the mold is made correctly you can get a 90% round mold made. I have a few I made but aluminum is better for higher production
    I guess if you're on a small budget and don't really care for perfection, the one piece molds are fine... but I notice all of your really good looking baits come out of aluminum molds for some reason... is that just a co-inky-dink?

.. and I know that a one piece mold bait will catch fish... even if it looks like refried rat crap, but I'd be embarrassed to say I caught a fish on something that looks sub-standard... because yanno what folks are gonna say or think when they see the bait the fish bit, was that fish retarded??? :D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few I made but aluminum is better for higher production
    all of my production molds are aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

all of my production molds are aluminum
    ... and your production baits that come out of them are perfect! Some really good looking plastics!

Perhaps I was too negative about the DIY molds yesterday, everybody has to start somewhere. It may be a good place to start for some folks to experiment with the cooking of the plastic and the mixing of the colors, salt, glitter, and scent.

I just feel that if I was going to go through the expense of buying all of the ingredients and the time to put them together, I would want my bait to look perfect!... even if it did come out the color and consistency of something the cat hocked up on the livingroom floor!:D

... at least I would know my mold is right.

Post Thanks / Like

lol i could care less what a bait looks like if its catching fish.... quick story, i was at a pond and i have bout every plastic you could have plus some, this kid bout 13 was fishing near me with a pos zebco and was taking a 7 inch bass worm and cutting it in bout 2 inch pieces putting it on a hook and was just slaying fish. i offered him some of my plastics, he said no and that this was only way he fished for crappie.
    but if i was selling something i would want it to look perfect but if just fishing id cast a rats turd all day if it was catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like

crappieday do you think this would work for molds? Alley Goop - the Moldmaking silicone putty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast