Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mississippi folk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi folk

Hope I'm not the only MS folk fishing on this site. Let's get some more fishing reports going. I went back out to Okatibbee this morn, don't usually fish on the weekends try to leave that to the folks who work, and fished from 8 to 12 when the wind blew me off and caught 14 keepers with no big slabs. Had 6 blacks and 8 whites all from 8 to 12 feet of water along the creek bank. 1/16 oz heads and they definitely wanted a motor oil/char tube. Started with a blk/red on one pole and a motor oil/char on the other and they told me pretty quick which one was best. Chance of rain the next 3 days (we need it bad) and then cold, maybe the big ones will start back after that.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

rundljk Guest

Default Head West

What do you call a slab? We had a little fruit jar on the Rez in Jackson this weekend. At least three of the guys fishing had multiple fish in the two lb. range. I saw one that weighed over 2.5. I had 10 that weighed 10 lbs, no whoppers, but lost one at the boat. They are on the river ledges right now in sight of the 43 Bridge. By the way, I was trolling...one of the guys fishing was jigging and had over 12 lbs with only 9 fish. Come join us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on where you are fishing a lot. I'm sure the fish in the Rez are much bigger than the ones in Okatibbee. I don't know what the winning weight was in the MCC when they were over here this year but I'm sure it was less than what it takes to win over there. I believe the lake is on the up-sweep as I am catching some better fish this year over last. The white in the photo is 14" and the black is 12" and are what I would call slabs, don't know their weight as I did not have a scale at that time, about 3 weeks ago. Bought one last week so I can give weights on what I call big. The largest one I was talking about in my above post only weighted 9 ozs. I fished with the Mid-South Crappie club some but most of their tournaments are the other way and at that time I was still working so I gave it up and now I'm just too old for the grind, mainly only fish for about 4 hours at a time. I am looking back in my book at the 1992 tournaments that were over here and the March 28th one was won by myself and partner with a limit (30 at that time) that weighted 29.40 lbs. The May 16th one was won by us with 30 lbs and we had big fish of 2.10 lbs. So at times Okatibbe has nice fish, I think it may be hard at this time to average a one lb weight in a tournament but then maybe not. So what weight is a slab? Here and now I would say a 1 lber. How about yourself, what is a slab to you at the Rez?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello SteveJ - fellow crappie fisherman across the state from you. Here in North La. where I fish or to me a slab is 1 1/4 lb or up. I posted in the other forum on your subject. I fish on Poverty Point for the most part since I live right there by it. To easy not to and I only get to fish on the weekends. Some of us are still in the working phase of our lives. LOL. Must be great to retire. That's other subject in itself. This past weekend the bite was pretty good - at least for me it was. Caught my limit of 25. It took almost 6 1/2 hours to do it but all I had was time. Caught most in 13-15 foot in 17-20 ft water. THe shad had moved in early in the morning then moved back out when it warmed up. My biggest fish was 2.37 Lb. with several more around 2 Lb. I didn't keep anything 1 Lb or smaller. I'm fish more for quaility than quanity. Since we only have a 25 fish creel I can be more selcetive. I will keep a few smaller ones when I'm really fish hungry and I' not planning a long day of it. They hit a black/char glitter early then had to change to blue/white. Fished for a while Sunday morning. The bite was slower with no wind. It was calm as a mouse. Well, anyway the answer to your question depends on the fisherman. Good luck with the fishing. Leave a few for us working folks.

rundljk Guest

SteveJ, it sounds like you have probably forgotten more than I know about perch jerking, but I agree with "lovetofish". A slab is going to vary depending on where you fish, but those of us who regularly fish the rez and river oxbows would probably say a slab is 1.5 to 1.75 lbs.

The winning 10 fish weight last May for the MCC was 9.31lbs. The big fish was 1.9lbs. I didn't get to fish that one, but everyone said they caught lots of fish, just not many big ones. I'm glad to hear its getting better over there. Do you fish anywhere but Okatibee?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about that but I do get out as much as possable and I only live 3 miles from Collinsville landing, should have went this morning but just didn't and looks like it may be a while before I can get back out with this weather on the way. A friend and I when over to Barnett this spring, first time I had been in oh 8 or 10 years. He is strickly a spring shollow water man and we went above the road and caught some real nice ones just not many. I know very very little about the Rez. I use to do nothing but bass tournaments back about 20 years ago and was pretty good over here and on the Tombigbee but I got old and gave that up, too much work. With the price of gas it's pretty hard to get out of town now but my buddy is wanting to go back over to the Rez. I have fished some where you are talking about back when I was in the MCC.