Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loaded Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loaded Question

How do you tell when a little one is ready to fish for the first time? I have a 3year old little boy and he and I are ready! The boss says he's too small and she's right. I thought I would take him bream fishing and put him on a bed for about an hour or so. I would have him up front in the boat with me wearing a life jacket of course. Just want it to be perfect for the little fella when he's big enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your patience level. I started my son at 2 years, and he's loved it ever since. Leave your gear at home, and focus on teaching for a while until he gets the hang of it. Go on short trips, and pretty soon he will be he'll be like mine in the back of the boat rubbing it in everytime he catches one.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenn Tom Crappie View Post
    How do you tell when a little one is ready to fish for the first time? I have a 3year old little boy and he and I are ready! The boss says he's too small and she's right. I thought I would take him bream fishing and put him on a bed for about an hour or so. I would have him up front in the boat with me wearing a life jacket of course. Just want it to be perfect for the little fella when he's big enough.
    Personally I think you should put him on some bream from the bank on a farm pond first. Little kids have fun if you hook a fish and then let them hold the pole while you help them land it. But their attention span is short and they will wind up wanting to throw rock and sticks and stuff...just let them do it. As they get older they will pay more attention to fishing. Three years old is a little young....it might be better to wait untill he is 5 before you get too serious about it. The main thing is...just let them do what they want....you don't want to burn them out.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll wait until he's around 5 or so. He's wide open. Just wish he'd go ahead and get big enough to go fishin'.

Post Thanks / Like

They're never too young to start! I was taken fishin' before I could walk. in my stroller out on the pier.

Make it a family affair with Mommy, Daddy, and the little one!

Good wholesome activity for quality family time!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Take him w/ you fishing. They'll let you know when they're ready. Sure, they're attention span is short, but those few minutes will grow longer as they grow older, and you'll cherish those moments for years to come.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tenn Tom Crappie View Post
    I think I'll wait until he's around 5 or so. He's wide open. Just wish he'd go ahead and get big enough to go fishin'.
    He'll be too big to bother with Dad before you know it.

Plan it as a boat ride with lots of snacks, sightseeing and playing. Squeeze in a little fishing when you can, but don't plan on it lasting very long unless he's catching fish, and even then there might be other things that catch his attention.

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken my grandson since he was 2. Has fun for a while, then loses interest. We don't stay out long.

Post Thanks / Like

We took our 3 year old and 7 year old grandsons out in the boat and they had a blast.
    It was the 3 yo first boat ride, he wasn't too thrilled on the first day. (he didn't like the bumps)
    By the second day he loved the ride, we stayed out for 4 hours both days. The 7 yo helped entertain him. The 7 yo loves fishing so that helped. Grandma kept him busy the rest of the time, making sandwiches or playing in the boat. We slow trolled and they both caught fish.
    Now he tells mom and dad he wants to go again with grandpa and grandma.
    Take him and find out how he does.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Take the boy fishing ! Make it his day. Put him on some fish. It doesnt have to be all day. You have the rest of your life to fish. There will be a day when he wont be around to fish with you !!! Think about that SH-oot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast