PDA

View Full Version : Information on placing fish attractors

flycaster
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I had applied for a permit to place fish attractors in several lakes here in Lake County, Florida.
I received a reply from the FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION.
I have excluded some of the reply.

The application is for a STANDARD GENERAL PERMIT, pursuant to Part IV, Chapter 373 Florida Statutes, and authorization to use state-owned submerged lands, pursuant to Chapter 352, Florida Stature, to install fish attractors.

RESPONSE:

1. This project requires a Standard General Permit. The processing fee is $710.00

2. The locations of each fish attractor on the lakes must be provided via GPS coordinates prior to the issuance of a permit. Additional Information required: Center GPS coordinates, Area GPS coordinates, Attractor dimensions, attractor height, water depth, attractor material.

3. The department recommends that plastic buckets and PVC pipe not be used as component of the fish attractors. Acceptable material is clean concrete, rock, brush, logs and trees.

4. All documents, including permits, are public record. In addition the activity is located on public lands and the lake bottoms, with the exception of Lake Harris, are owned by the State of Florida. Pursuant to 18-21.005(1)(c)(9), Florida Administrative Code, a artificial reefs and fish attractors that are constructed for public use are authorized under a Letter of Consent, otherwise this activity would require a State Lands Easement.
To ensure protection of the lakes and public safety, the perimeters of each fish attractor must be marked with a buoy. The buoys must be labeled with the DEP permit number, fish attractor number and must be maintained for the life of the fish attractors. Please note that all buoys must be authorized by the Florida "Fish and "Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Boating and Waterways Section prior to any DEP issued permit.

5. No portion of the fish attractor can be placed on or in areas vegetated by native aquatic vegetation. Please provide a resource survey of each area where fish attractors are to be placed. Please include the water depths, (referenced to the ordinary low water level) and the type of vegetation that exits.

6. Please provide a plan view drawing of each of the lakes and include the following:
a) Designated buoy Number.
b) Water depths within the area-current and the ordinary low water level.
c) Location of the fish attractor to adjacent shoreline. Please provide the approximate distance in feet (units)
d) Location of the typical boat traffic route in reference to the fish attractor.

7. Provide a cross section drawing of each fish attractor and include the following.
a) Provide a title for each drawing that includes the assigned buoy number and waterbody name. If several of the fish attractors are in be constructed of the same material(s) and will have the same dimensions, please title the drawing "typical" and provide the buoy numbers.
b) Dimensions of the fish attractors
c) Material
d) Buoy locations and anchoring mechanism.
e) Buoy Type and size
f) Buoy line and anchoring material
g) Height of the fish attractor
h) Ordinary high water level
i) Ordinary low water level.

8. Pursuant to 18-21.004(2)(c), "The Department of Environmental Protection biological assessments and reports by other agencies with related statutory, management, or regulatory authority may be considered in evaluating specific requests to use sovereignty lands.
The Department has requested the following reports in order to fully evaluate the applicant's request:
Department of State, Division of Historical Resources
Florida Game & Fish

The Department reserves the right to request additional information based upon the responses to this request.

This may be the reason that you do not find fish attractors in the lakes in Florida.
I have had contact with several people from other states, where they have legally placed fish attractors, made from assorted materials into the lakes in their area and not had to go through with this type of permit process.

Outlaw1&2
12-20-2009, 12:07 PM
This is total bull unless you have a huge amount of waste or ship you want scuttle. Sounds like a job for the midnight rider. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EkJRy3gIS4

Chucker
12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I agree with Outlaw1&2. I have placed many fish attractors in many lakes and states, but have never heard of so much RED TAPE and cost for someone else to fish over.
Not good idea!!

Dhawk
12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
If they outlaw placing fish attractors in (Fl) lakes, then only outlaws will know where they are placed :).

Note: I am not advocating breaking any laws.

flycaster
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
If they outlaw placing fish attractors in (Fl) lakes, then only outlaws will know where they are placed :).

Note: I am not advocating breaking any laws.

They are NOT OUTLAWING placing fish attractors, this is just let everyone know what the application fees are.:mad::mad:

chuckauten
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I vote for the midnight rider. See no evil, hear not evil.

Ranger375
12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Dang that made me tired just reading all the b.s. I suspect if every brushpile/attractor had all the bouy's they require you wouldn't need a boat you could just walk from one bouy to another with out getting feet wet...LOL

Barry F

Florida
01-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Just one lake off hand comes to mind.....Lake Tarpon has fish attractors,so you will find lakes with them.I belive the main reason they make it hard is because a lot of the lakes are shallow and a lot of years the water tables drop making it even worse.About 6 years ago some idiot dropped a fish attractor between marker 6 and the grass line on Kissimmee and I hit the dang thing as it was just under the water surface, wiped out my lower unit....cracked the case....if I could have found that guy who did that..............Friend of mine and I went back and found it with a grappling hook and pulled it up a couple of days later,the idiot had several pieces of 3/4 inch rebar about 4 ft tall stuck into a 5 gal bucket full of concrete that he had his crap wired to. Also at marker 4 there was another guy who tied off his catfish trout line to marker 4 under the ospray nest and dropped his other end in, on the river side,I found that one too, cause the water got low that year,ever try to pick and cut 25 hooks wrapped with line around your prop by hanging over the back with the other end to a concrete block?
Tip ........Its against the law to tie anything to a marker pole and leave it.
Florida looks at the lakes on the whole and it isnt just the state,the Army Corp of Engineers has a LOT of say in the matter along with SWIFTMUD.
SWIFTMUD and the Corps I have no use for, whatsoever
I wont turn anybody in but I will make mental note if I see it and if one day someone gets hurt because of your actions I will say something than. Some people ignore the rules or think they are above them,and that isnt fair to those who will go thru the trouble of trying to do it right and live by them. JMO

EJL
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Dang that made me tired just reading all the b.s. I suspect if every brushpile/attractor had all the bouy's they require you wouldn't need a boat you could just walk from one bouy to another with out getting feet wet...LOL

Barry F
We don't have this at Shelbyvile or at least I hope we don't.

EJL

Kelly
02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Fish attractors made of PCV are not detectable by fishfinders. Make sure you write down the GPS coordinates and keep in wallet or bible. However, some organizations request not to use PCV for attractors.

Bob # 1
02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow
What a lot of bs

edprocoat
06-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I read a lot a bout fish attractors, I am from ohio and fish florida in the winter months as I work down there those times. I wanted to place some structure on a relatively deep reservoir in ohio C.J. Brown, its 15 to 30 feet of water in a drought I asked a game officer and he said absolutely no way! I thought what a jerk and went to the warden office where they explained you would have to pull Army Corps permits and Ohio Wildlife Commission permits and have everything inspected and of course, approved before hand, then he went to look up the fee schedule, this is when I walked out.

ed

Crappiet
07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I like the Fl. Law anyone putting anyhing in a public lake should be held accountable for any damage, Personal injury or mechanical and the only way to obtain this is to have the trash placed in lakes marked and registered. Should Skiers have the right to place Ski Jumps all over the lakes? If so, our brush piles or what ever material we decide to fill up the lake with and Ski Jumps would leave no place to fish or pleasure boat. (Lets keep our Lakes Clean) and leave the Fish Attractors and Ski Jumps up to the (DNR) or professionals.

Phantom309
08-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I like the Fl. Law anyone putting anyhing in a public lake should be held accountable for any damage, Personal injury or mechanical and the only way to obtain this is to have the trash placed in lakes marked and registered. Should Skiers have the right to place Ski Jumps all over the lakes? If so, our brush piles or what ever material we decide to fill up the lake with and Ski Jumps would leave no place to fish or pleasure boat. (Lets keep our Lakes Clean) and leave the Fish Attractors and Ski Jumps up to the (DNR) or professionals.

All these lakes in Central Fla belong to me and my people ! ! !
My people were here before anybody else, and they claimed all this land/lakes as our'n ! !
We just let you people live here and use our stuff cause we're nice folks ! ! ! !
I put in a special request for you personally, and It was agreed to let you pass, so, go ahead, enjoy ! ! !

peepaw
04-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Sounds like the suits are in the way again. Can't condone sneaking but...........

das speck hunter
04-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Sounds like the suits are in the way again. Can't condone sneaking but...........
christmas trees are cheaper.... j/k this whole thread is theater of the mind

specktacklure
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree with Phantom309

danwalleye
12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
it is PVC and they are everywhere in kentucky lake but they stick up out of water so you won t hit them unless the lake is flooded they hold lots of fish and no one gets a permit