PDA

View Full Version : Fogged Up Fish Finder Screen

basscat
12-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anyone else have trouble with fish finders fogging up inside the screen? I have two HB's one on front and one at the console, both fogg up even if I store them in the house between trips or in the dry storage on the boat. Any advice how to stop the fog??

Basscat

crappieseeker
12-18-2009, 08:50 PM
i had two lowrances and they did it too, i do not know what to tell you but i am sure someone here will have some advice

poppop
12-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I had the same problem last year, because I left mine in the boat in dry storage. I got a gallon zip lock bag and put white rice in it along with both the fish finders. I put about a two pound bag of rice in the ziplock. It took a couple of weeks, but it dried out both fishfinders. Sounds like a old wives tale, but it really works.

crappieseeker
12-18-2009, 08:59 PM
poppop i do believe it would work like you say, i just wish it worked in the salt shakers at restaurants lol

basscat
12-18-2009, 09:01 PM
thanks for the rice tip. I will try it. I will post after the new year if it works or not.

Basscat...

Bottombumper
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Mine has done this many times if I leave the light on in the Finder. I sometimes leave early and turn the back light on and forget to tirn off after daybreak. BB

yankee doodler
12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Same here w/ my HB's only the 727 up front does it. Some one told me one time that it's because I left them in the boat over the winter. Bad seals is what they said. I'll have to try the white rice trick.

gabowman
12-19-2009, 12:35 PM
So Poppop, once you got it dried out....no more problems out on the water?!?:confused: I also have aa Eagle that fogs.:(

Redy2Fish
12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
One of the small desiccant bags that come in shoes and other products should work also?

Wannabe...
12-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Rice will work good. Desicates too, if you can get enough of them. Leave them in a window sill that gets sun will quicken the pace of the drying.

Wannabe...

poppop
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
So Poppop, once you got it dried out....no more problems out on the water?!?:confused: I also have aa Eagle that fogs.:(

no, but I hadn't left them out a long time since ...

slimeyslab
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Ditto on the rice and leaving in sunlight. I have done this with depth finders, gps, cell phones, etc.. with great luck so far.

luvjign
12-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Desiccants work very well in ridding moisture. It's not something that most local stores carry, but can be bought online. All of my boat's compartments gets moisture trapped in them mainly from being on cold water with the sun hitting the top lids. This makes them sweat, and the carpet lids kinda seals it in. If there's anything that will rust in them, it will if I don't keep the lids raised for a few days with low humidity. Same with GPS's, scales, ......... anything that will fog up or get saturated from the trapped humidity. I had access to a large amount of desiccant, and made several homemade versions of these desiccant cylinders like here: Desiccants & Air Filters (http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.aspx?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=659&RelatedCtlgPgs=659,658,949&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=815)
Put one in all of the compartments, and no more trapped moisture problem. Just put them in the oven on 425º for an hour or two every couple months, and they're fully regenerated again.

Just an idea if you wanted to store stuff that sweats in a place where the humidity can be controlled.

crappie cowboy
12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
If it was me I'd talk to HB and see if I could get new seals put in. I would think it will cause corrosion in the unit.

HB did some work on one of my old discontinued units [300tx] last year, and didn't charge me nothing, not even shipping, they are a great company.
Good luck.....crappie cowboy