PDA

View Full Version : no black markings

crappieseeker
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I never really questioned it before but it kind of makes me wonder why. Some of the crappie I catch out of the Tennessee River have no black splotches or markings at all. They are black crappie they just do not have any defined black on them. What might cause the lack of black markings? I do not catch many of them that way but from time to time I will catch some like that, just wondered why, any suggestions.

coosaman
12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Ahh, the Tennessee River. Could it be caused by radiation? LOL

crappieseeker
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I was wondering if the same fish would get markings around spawning time when the fish start getting darker, or if they are always without the black coloring

WestTennCrappie
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I would like to see a picture. I cant believe there are no markings? The muddier the water the lighter the fish is in color. i also tend to think that the cooler the water the lighter the fish is. I have seen them change from light to dark many times after coming out of the water and going into my livewell. But again I would like to see a picure of these fish.

feelay
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I would like to see a picture. I cant believe there are no markings? The muddier the water the lighter the fish is in color. i also tend to think that the cooler the water the lighter the fish is. I have seen them change from light to dark many times after coming out of the water and going into my livewell. But again I would like to see a picure of these fish.

Ditto

crappieseeker
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
WestTen, well it is winter time and the water was muddy, but i do not know. Next time I catch one if I can get my camera to work I will take a picture of one

JBledsoe
12-15-2009, 11:24 PM

How is it that they are black if they have no black?

crappieseeker
12-15-2009, 11:37 PM
JBledsoe, they have other characteristics of black crappie, just no markings really

speckfinder
12-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Same deal on KY lake, especially in winter. They are much lighter in color. Figure it is cold water, water color, time of year. The blacks here never get as black as ones in Florida.

crappieseeker
12-16-2009, 08:31 AM
speckfinder, I figure that is probably it, the cold water makes them very light so that there color does not show.

CrappiePappy
12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
... it'll do it to Bass, too. Deep dwelling fish, and fish from murky waters will come out looking "washed out" ... not much pigmentation (black) showing. Don't know if the water temps have much to do with it, but I'm pretty sure that the depth & water clarity can make some fish lose alot of their markings. And, since Crappie are mostly black/white in coloration ... the lightening of the black pigmentation will make them look mostly white. They don't need the darker pigmentation when they're deep (and out of the sunlight), because they're already in a dark environment. They need that black coloration, as camo, when they're in shallower/clearer water.
Well, that's my best guess, anyway :D

... cp :cool:

Fishtaco
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Same deal on KY lake, especially in winter. They are much lighter in color. Figure it is cold water, water color, time of year. The blacks here never get as black as ones in Florida.

Shrinkage?:eek:

JigFisher
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM
As Crappiepappy stated above, when they go deep (any fish) and stay awhile, or live in muddy water, they loose their color cause not getting much sun light. See the Discovery episodes of Fish in the deep, all look as if are Albino's.

crappieseeker
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys, I was just wondering why they were like that.