Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no black markings

Post Thanks / Like

Default no black markings

I never really questioned it before but it kind of makes me wonder why. Some of the crappie I catch out of the Tennessee River have no black splotches or markings at all. They are black crappie they just do not have any defined black on them. What might cause the lack of black markings? I do not catch many of them that way but from time to time I will catch some like that, just wondered why, any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, the Tennessee River. Could it be caused by radiation? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if the same fish would get markings around spawning time when the fish start getting darker, or if they are always without the black coloring

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see a picture. I cant believe there are no markings? The muddier the water the lighter the fish is in color. i also tend to think that the cooler the water the lighter the fish is. I have seen them change from light to dark many times after coming out of the water and going into my livewell. But again I would like to see a picure of these fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestTennCrappie View Post
    I would like to see a picture. I cant believe there are no markings? The muddier the water the lighter the fish is in color. i also tend to think that the cooler the water the lighter the fish is. I have seen them change from light to dark many times after coming out of the water and going into my livewell. But again I would like to see a picure of these fish.
    Ditto
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

WestTen, well it is winter time and the water was muddy, but i do not know. Next time I catch one if I can get my camera to work I will take a picture of one

Post Thanks / Like

How is it that they are black if they have no black?

Post Thanks / Like

JBledsoe, they have other characteristics of black crappie, just no markings really

Post Thanks / Like

Same deal on KY lake, especially in winter. They are much lighter in color. Figure it is cold water, water color, time of year. The blacks here never get as black as ones in Florida.

Post Thanks / Like

speckfinder, I figure that is probably it, the cold water makes them very light so that there color does not show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast