Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Up sizing treble hooks ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up sizing treble hooks ?

I through a 1/8 rattle shad and it catches fish. The front hook is a size 8 and the rear is a size 10. If I replace that 10 with an 8 will it change the way the bait works ? Seems like that 10 gets thrown alot more than the 8. -Thanks

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question It might be that ....

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    I through a 1/8 rattle shad and it catches fish. The front hook is a size 8 and the rear is a size 10. If I replace that 10 with an 8 will it change the way the bait works ? Seems like that 10 gets thrown alot more than the 8. -Thanks
    ... the smaller treble isn't getting stuck into a solid part of the fish's mouth (deep enough into the mouth or due to the smaller gap), and is therefore more easily thrown. It could also be that it's easier for a fish to throw the bait, being hooked by the rear treble (rather than the front one), simply because the gravity of the bait is farther away from the fish (and the thrashing/head shaking of the fish is using the gravity/weight of the bait to widen the hook hole .. thus allowing the bait to come loose).

Ain't nothin but a move :D ... so I'd just replace the #10 with a #8 and see if that helped

.. cp

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't hurt the action. If you're using the stock hooks, try better hooks too. Some crankbaits I throw bass fishing get all new hooks as soon as they come out of the package. I like Owner Stinger trebles...
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to a bigger hook try a light wire hook if you can find them. At one time excaliber made some rotating light wire hooks that I used to replace some stick bait hooks with, expensive but worked very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Try some of the sickle treble hooks. I use them on my spoons and they seem to work ok.
    Pluse they really look pretty wicked!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to change trebles on some Bass baits. I used a better hook and used larger size on the rear. One problem you may encounter is the two hooks hanging together after upsizing one. Up sizing and using better quaility hooks will improve your catch rate.
    Remember Crappie have tender mouths and don't put too much pressure on them as hooks will tear out. But always keep line tigh pulling one in cause a hole torn in the lip will let hooks drop free with any slack.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Only problem I ever ran into was having to tune the bait again so it ran right. If the hooks tangle use a small split ring on the rear hook and tune it.

Fatman