Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal Matters of placing Structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Legal Matters of placing Structure

Reading the posts about structure, I thought I'd check into it before I go to far. I called several departments to find out the legality of adding my own structure to the lakes that I fish. In every case except one, I was told under no circumstances was it O.K. to put home made structure into the lakes. In fact, if they see you they can ticket you for littering the waterway. In the other circumstance, I was told that all structure for the lake (smithville lake) is documented and must be approved. There is supposed to be some bass group that has permission to do it.

So overall there seems to be a lot of red tape involved, or it's a midnight run type of thing. This at least goes for Missouri, and the corps of engineers lakes.

So as a group, what does everyone do? I for one, will probably not start dropping my own structure in. Mainly because I don't want to pay the fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I see nothing wrong with a Mid-night run.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    Midday, middle of December from a out-of-the-way boat ramp works too :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people would rather keep it a secret anyway. I never put them out in daylight or when anybody is in sight,,, (that I know about). My rule is its always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission in most cases. You have to go with your gut feeling about it but it is really benifical in every way. My gut says its helpfull to the fisherey, helpfull to others, and if done right, harms nothing. Seeya, Don

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with officials in southwest mo. and they didnt have a problem with fish
    habitat, just concerned it would be put out deep enough. sometimes there is
    an official line, and sometimes there is the real line. attractors dont hurt anything
    and help the fish. i put mine out at night anyway.

chef

Post Thanks / Like

Was told by Local DNR here that it was O.K. as long as it was deep enough!Heck I"ve carried attractors fishin with me for 2-3 hrs. waitin to be alone to drop them!Chef-Startin to catch some off your attractors.THANKS AGAIN!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Placing Structure in Lakes

FYI, This is what I got for the Corps of Engineers when asked about placing structure at West Point LAke on the border of Gerogia and Alabama.

News Release: Use of Discarded Christmas Trees for Fish Reefs Permitted at West Point Lake
    Often at this time of year anglers begin calling the West Point Project Management Office for advice on using old Christmas trees to attract fish. For years fishermen (and women) have anchored these discarded trees in the lake in strategic locations to provide cover for fish. Then, when the weather improves next spring they return to try their luck fishing around last year’s Christmas tree(s).
    The Corps of Engineers at West Point Project would like to inform all prospective fish reef builders that no special permit is necessary to place a few Christmas trees in the lake, but there are some important guidelines to follow:
    • Use a suitable anchoring system to prevent the trees from floating away or moving around. We don’t want to have the tree in the wrong place. A cement block will work well as an anchor for one or two trees, but it must be securely fastened to the tree using nylon twine or a similar material.
    • Don’t place the trees where they could become safety hazards to boaters or swimmers. For example, trees should not be placed near boat launching ramps, in shallow boat traffic channels, or at swimming beaches.
    • Trees will attract more fish if they are placed in deeper water, say 15 - 20 feet deep, and in an area where the water depth changes significantly, such as near an underwater ridge or hump. Fish tend to use this type of area throughout the year.
    Although a permit is not necessary to place a few Christmas trees in the lake, anglers who wish to install large numbers of trees or other types of structure for fishing reefs should contact the West Point Project Management Office at 706/645-2937. More information on West Point Project is also available on the Internet at: http://westpt.sam.usace.army.mil.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in North Alabama ,when i did put out christmas trees We would put them out around the first of Jan.You wouldn't beleive how plentiful they are that time of year and its usually cold enought to keep most people at home watching Usc football

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my dropping during the winter. In fact I just cut the first load for this year. I hope to get 20 in the water by febuary. I use bamboo now. They work great.
    Dropping at night keeps your spots secret. Be careful and please wear your pfd when dropping night or day

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast