Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nightstalking Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Question Nightstalking Battery

I am thinking about buying one of these Marine Power-up Battery/charger and using it to run my 2 Q-Beams for Nightstalking. I like it for its size (I don’t have a lot of room in my 16ft bass boat) and its portabile and the fact that it has a charge indicator on it. But before I buy it, I thought I would see if anyone has ever tried one of these or if anyone has an opinion on whether using one is a good idea. Let me know what you think, is it worth $40 bucks and will it run the Q-Beams? -Toad

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0022979.jsp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToadRunner
    I am thinking about buying one of these Marine Power-up Battery/charger and using it to run my 2 Q-Beams for Nightstalking. I like it for its size (I don’t have a lot of room in my 16ft bass boat) and its portabile and the fact that it has a charge indicator on it. But before I buy it, I thought I would see if anyone has ever tried one of these or if anyone has an opinion on whether using one is a good idea. Let me know what you think, is it worth $40 bucks and will it run the Q-Beams? -Toad

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0022979.jsp

That appears just to be a battery charger, so it cannot actually run anything. You will still need to purchase the actual battery. That will just charge the battery that you have when you are off the water.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Toadrunner ......

I carry one of those "portable" jumper battery deals, in my truck and the boat ... mainly as a back-up starter battery (in case the main battery gets used down too low to start the big motor) - or to jump start the battery of another "stranded" boat (and not have to take the chance on running my main battery down, trying to start theirs). I've used it to power a spotlight (short term use, while running from spot to spot), and run blacklights for night fishing : the spotlight will suck it down pretty quick (1mil candlepower) ... but two blacklights will run for 6hrs or so, and only take about 1/4 of the charge out of it.
    They are not designed for long, slow discharge use .... like a deep cycle battery ... so I doubt they would be the best investment for that purpose. (I assume by "Q-beams", that you are referring to the submersible or floating 12V lights).
    They're great for the purpose they're intended for (jump starting a "low" battery) ... but, for a long night of "nightstalking" (and powering a couple of "fishing lights"), you'd probably be better served getting a marine deep cycle battery & case - and setting it in the floor of your boat.

You can sometimes catch various brands of these "portable jumpstart batteries" on sale at stores that carry auto/marine supplies (Wal-mart - Target - Meijers - etc) for around the same price (or possibly lower). But, I don't think they'd serve the purpose you have in mind. They would be a good "safety" backup battery for jumpstarting ... but, that's about as far as I'd trust them. The one in your Cabelas link has a built-in "charger" ... so that would be good for someone that wanted a "jumper" battery and battery "charger" all in one (rather than buy them seperate, or have to pack both seperately). At least I hope that's what they mean ... mine came with a plug in pack to re-charge the jumper battery, itself (plug pack into wall socket and power cord into jumper battery case)....so I hope they aren't referring to "that" as a "battery charger" -- that would be very misleading advertisement.

You might want to find out how much amp draw your "lights" require ... and size up these "jumpers" - to see if they would fit your needs. They might work, but I have my doubts about them. Call me a skeptic ... but, I still think they're more suited for emergency jumpstarts. I prefer to err on the side of caution :D .......... luck2ya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies, I had no idea they held a charge for other purposes....my fault.

Let me good ahead and take my foot out of my mouth before I answer again!!

:D
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Get deep cycle....

...agree with cp.,,get ya a deep-cycle battery for lights...Q-beams draw quite a few amps...2 on one battery will run down a good sized deep-cycle in 1 night....I have a jumper box that I carry in case I have starting problems....ran 1 light off of it one night, didn't last but about 1 hour I think???...save yourself some hassle and get a good deep-cycle.. :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot for the info fellas. Looks like I need to just buy a new battery. -Toad