Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shad Tank for Boat

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad Tank for Boat

I followed the directions from a site to build a shad tank out of a five gallon bucket with a lid.And it kept them alive.I will try to find the site for the pictures,but it is pretty easy.Here it goes.
    Take a 5 gallon bucket and remove the wire handle.Drill through the hole that the handle came out of.Get an eye bolt with a washer and nut,I used 5/16 size bolt end and nut.Insert into the holes that you drilled and put the washer on the inside of the bucket,I put a washer on the outside of the hole also.And another nut so,tightening it would not crack the bucket if too tight.These are your tie downs,find where you want to put it,and how you can anchor it down so you will know where to drill holes for inlet and outlet hoses.Two hoses will be hanging over the side of your boat,thats why you find where it goes first,before going any farther.
    Cut the center out of the lid,so you have at least 2 inches around the outside edge.For splashing water,and to keep the shad in there.
    You will need a 3/4 inch hole saw.While bucket is in the spot with it anchored to the boat with the eyebolts that you installed,get a sharpie and mark where the inlet hose will go,there will be a five foot 3/4 inch hose hanging over the side into the lake,it goes about 3 to 4 inches from the top of the bucket,the outlet hole is on the same side with the top of the 3/4 inch hole even with the bottom of the 3/4 inch first hole that you marked.Use plastic pvc fittings with a 90 degree angle and screw them together into the holes.The hoses go on these.I use an old bilge pump that I had to suck water into the bucket,from the lake.The water comes in,then when the bucket fills up,the lower hole releases the water back into the lake.You have to play around with mounting your bilge pump to the bucket.I used ducktape.And I used rubber bungi cords to put through the eyebolts to keep the bucket secure.
    Make sure when you take your shad out of the cast net to first put them into a seperate bucket of lake water.They crap when you first bring them into the boat.Let them crap into the bucket,then net them and put in your bait tank.No amonia that way.I can keep them in the winter on the boat all day.Yes,some die,but not 50% of them like usual.I will take some pictures of the one on my boat,Maybe Monday.Any questions,just ask.
    Longer the hoses into the lake the better.I put a couple of 4 oz,sinkers on the ends to keep them down.
    Last edited by azslabber; 12-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good, do you crappie fish with these shad, I use to bass fish with these shad and would on occasion catch a monster crappie on them.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good plan. Look forward to seeing your picture of yours.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I only fish the big 3 now,lol.Crappie,catfish,and bluegills.Worms,shad,minnows,lots of green carp on accident.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

when i was salt water fishing out of my jon boat i made a bait livewell using white/clear plastic 50gal barrell. i cut the bottom third from the barrell and it worked very well... using the same pricipal that u r using with a bucket. the volume of the barrell is far greater if u have room in you boat.