PDA

View Full Version : Which style, size and color...

Chowan
12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
jig have you had the most success.

feelay
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Mid-South tackle 1/16 th oz chartreuse jig with a red and chartreuse super jig tube.

Chowan
12-08-2009, 11:38 PM
thanks feelay

CrappiePappy
12-09-2009, 08:47 AM
jig have you had the most success.

That would have to be a 1/16oz Solid Pink Marabou Roadrunner :eek:

Limited out (30) on 2lb+ Slabs, two days in a row, on Lake Barkley ... one Spring trip (late Apr), back many a year ago.

Second to that would be a 1/16oz weedless jighead & a BPS Sparkle Squirt tube in Electric Blue/chartreuse. Used that combo for many years, on many different lakes, and caught lots of fish on it. But, since I've found some solid body tubes, & the Panfish Assassins ... I'm currently working on padding my numbers :p for (tube) green/char & (Panfish Assassin) Albino Shad.

My fishing partner has pretty much followed suit, from back in the day of the pink RR slaughter :D ... but, has recently taken a liking to the solid body tube in yellow/char. He also uses 1/16oz weedless jigheads.

... cp :cool:

Chowan
12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks CP sounds like u have had some great days on the lake. thanks for sharing

Chowan
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
does no one but 2 guys fish jigs on this sight??????

Chowan
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
if u dont want to share publicly send me an IM

Barnacle Bill
12-09-2009, 11:05 AM
My favorite is a black/yellow 1/16 hackle jig. I've also started using Bobby Garland Baby Shads on a 1/16 jig and really like them.

Minus 1
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I like any black and chartruse combination which makes no sense to me at all. You are trying to mimic a shad minnow. Around here , the shad are black over white or pearl ..They don't come in chartruse or red or blue or grape or motor oil or all them other exotic colors that I tie my jigs in . :D:D

biggerjigger
12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
1/16 red/pink head #2 hook 2 1/2" chapman creek tube orange/chart.

azslabber
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I would have to say for crappie,a plain 1/16 oz. oval jighead with white bucktail bottom and a dark blue bucktail upper with red body.Size 6 hook.

SLABurns
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
with a black and pink or black and chartreuse yum wooly beavertail. Have caught more crappie on these than anything else. 2nd to this would have to be the gulp alive 2" black shad minnow.

slab

Chowan
12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks for the help guys. I am just starting out and trying to learn this game as quickly as I can. I am an old fart.

Countrytime
12-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Make sure you get some Kalin Grubs. You can buy them at Bass Pro. Hard to beat them. Black/Blue Chart. and Acid Rain are hard to beat. The tail on them are thin so it doesn't take much movement to give them alot of action. You will not go wrong with these two trust me.

Cherokee Ref
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Gotta agree with the Kalin's. My 2 favorite colors are Tennessee Shad and Blue/Silver. The thin tail is the key.

bc1448
12-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree with the Kalin's... Also try Bobby Garlands Baby Shad and CB Sliders... If you know anyone that tyes jigs then you could try some bucktails... One thing that you will hear a lot is use a 1/16 oz jig head. And as far as buying your jigs goes don't mess with BPS... go to monkscrappie.com you can't beat his prices and he has a way better selection than any BPS in the country!!!
Blake

Chowan
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
thanks for the help guys. this gives me a starting point and good places to shop

Chowan
12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree with the Kalin's... Also try Bobby Garlands Baby Shad and CB Sliders... If you know anyone that tyes jigs then you could try some bucktails... One thing that you will hear a lot is use a 1/16 oz jig head. And as far as buying your jigs goes don't mess with BPS... go to monkscrappie.com you can't beat his prices and he has a way better selection than any BPS in the country!!!
Blake

i got some bucktail ordered now. thanks for the suggestion

jigtwins
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Chrome head Grey chenille body grey marabou tail. just my opinion.

Chowan
12-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Chrome head Grey chenille body grey marabou tail. just my opinion.

do u use them in the spring or ice fishing or both

skiptomylu
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
On my web site I have a page still building that page so not far along yet, but enough for this. Not just my favorites, but one of the guides in my Pro Staff favorites are there.

I don't have all my favorites on there yet, but several are.

Page Title (http://thumpitjigs.com/Favorites.html)

Skip

GCD
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Style: Wobble Head

Size: 1/16 and 1/8 oz.

Color:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/greencoachdog/DSC01930.jpg

The colors are craptastic in this pic!:mad:

Top center and clockwise: clear chartreuse/black, glow yellow chartreuse/red glitter, glow yellow chartreuse/green glitter, bronz/black/red glitter, glow pink/red glitter, clear chartreuse/black, glow yellow chartreuse/red glitter, glow pink/black

I pour and paint these myself, between pouring, painting, and fishin'... I don't have time for tying, so I use a 1-2" plastic curly tail with the tail down.. sometimes (most of the time) I tip the jig with a live minnow, and curly tail spanks the dickens out of my minnow! (I hate it when my minnow gets spanked!!!:mad: );)

Chowan
12-12-2009, 12:24 AM
On my web site I have a page still building that page so not far along yet, but enough for this. Not just my favorites, but one of the guides in my Pro Staff favorites are there.

Skip

nice site skip

Chowan
12-12-2009, 12:38 AM
GCD nice looking heads

Don G
12-12-2009, 06:13 AM

Skip

Hey Skip, do you know of anyone else that uses the colors that Cliff likes??:)Especially bottom left & bottom right...

Thanks for the great jigs that you have tied for me..

crappiemax
12-12-2009, 08:43 AM
thanks for the help guys. I am just starting out and trying to learn this game as quickly as I can. I am an old fart.

"old farts" make the best fishing partners.
#1) I can relate to being grumpy
#2)they keep other people from moving in on your spot when you're on the lake
#3) I'm getting there

my favorite changes from year to year.
depending on debth the fish are at 1/32 oz or 1/16 oz jig head. I started using weedless and really like them so far.
1/16oz roadrunners in summer.

Color would be black/chart, green/chart, orange/chart or red chart.
Southern Pro or BPS tubes 1 1/2" or 2"

Chowan
12-12-2009, 07:19 PM
hey max, thanks. do u like chartruse? i am just wondering

jaxsprat
12-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Skip, U sure got some mighty nice looking jigs there...;)

brushman
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
1/16 red/pink head #2 hook 2 1/2" chapman creek tube orange/chart.

i also use chapmancreek tubes 1 3/4". i use 1/8 oz non painted lead heads and black/chrt and blue/chrt year round and never have a problem catching fish.

LunaticFringeInc
12-12-2009, 10:09 PM
This year the hot ticket for me has been one jig and one only...a "Shinny Hinney" 1/32 ounce jig with a Orange head, Silver body and a tuft of Charteruse bucktail with a couple strands of tinsel. I caught a few on other combinations of colors and on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce heads but that particular jig color and combo was hands down the biggest producer of the season. It was so effective this year I started tying my own "knock offs" of this jig by the dozens just to keep a supply of them on hand.

skeetbum
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Fringe, I tie a copy/variant of the silver Shinee Hinee with a bit more material for a bigger bite. The bare head/tinsel chenille/ gray Maribou is a real winner around here. A little flash in em don't hurt. Mine are 1/16, though I should tie some in 1/32.

crappiemax
12-13-2009, 08:47 AM
hey max, thanks. do u like chartruse? i am just wondering

Yes, some days.
I usually start the day with chart/black, chart/red or chart/orange and go from there. I usually start with one of these because that's usually what's on my rod from the last trip. I think one year I fished the entire year with chart/black. I've had times when blue/white or even blue/black seemed to be the ticket. Generally I use tubes but I also have chat and white twister tails also.
I generally have 3 rods rigged.
1) 1/32 oz w/4# line
2) 1/16 oz w/6# line
3) 6# line w/jig and cork or in summer 1/16 oz roadrunner.

I don't like to have to change lures if I want to try something different. I just pick up a different rod.
I also keep a few rods with slip floats rigged but since we're talking jigs I didn't include them.

Chowan
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
This year the hot ticket for me has been one jig and one only...a "Shinny Hinney" 1/32 ounce jig with a Orange head, Silver body and a tuft of Charteruse bucktail with a couple strands of tinsel. I caught a few on other combinations of colors and on 1/16 and 1/8 ounce heads but that particular jig color and combo was hands down the biggest producer of the season. It was so effective this year I started tying my own "knock offs" of this jig by the dozens just to keep a supply of them on hand.

know how did u come up with the name shiney hiney

Chowan
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
wow guys u guys are amazing. thanks so much for sharing. I wish around here would cooperate. seems like its been raining for a month

crappiefarmer
12-13-2009, 10:27 PM
wow guys u guys are amazing. thanks so much for sharing. I wish around here would cooperate. seems like its been raining for a month

We have had 14 inches in one Month here Chowan.:eek: It has rained all Month!:D CF

Chowan
12-15-2009, 08:05 PM
i knew we had alot of rain. did nt know it was 14".