Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use the same line with different jig sizes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you use the same line with different jig sizes?

I have noticed in different conditions different line performs better with different jigs weights.

In the wind with braid I had a difficult time getting 1/8 oz jig down to the fish fast enough. 6lb mono seems to work better when fishing in the wind deep (more than 20 feet). I noticed 1/16 oz with braid is almost impossible, and 6lb mono was tough but can be done. Did not have any 4lb to try but plan to next time.

Do you use different line for different weight jigs? If so do conditions matter?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 6lb suffix and 6lb regular stren, I won't use the braid on anything less than 1/8 oz. It seems like it wants to float alot more than mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I Just Bought Stren Braid/gold And It Is Hard Too Get Use To For Me. Sticks To Tip Of Pole But Is Strong 14/4 You Need A Special Sissor To Cut It. I Use Only 1/16 #4 -#2 Jig Hooks Unpainted. Don''t Know Why Any One Needs Painted Jigs?? No Trouble With Sinking Speed

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I solve the braid/wind/sinking issue by using two 1/8 oz jig about a foot apart and every now and then get lucky with a double. Cold weather with braid is the only way to go especially tight lining. Too cold to re-tie.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a variety of line sizes and types depending on conditions / techniques but have experimented a lot, some successfully and some not. There are folks that are addicted to drugs, I'm a line junkie. 4 mono to 14 braid in different brands for different situations. Used 2# low stretch mono for a few years on clear lakes in the winter. Anyone that can use the same line all year is smarter than I am. Ask sometime which brands and types that would recommend against and I can fill your screen.

Good post, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

all my reel are currently filled with 8lb walley marshall yellow line,

when I go to truman I toss in a reel with braid, suffix,orange in color.dont know the lb. test.

sometimes I put on a small swivel if I am using small jigs. double rig set up
    I often put a small split shot just above the swivel. below the swivel lighter line and the small jigs, 1/32 or 1/64 gets the jig down and on the way down you can twitch the line and the jig does funny flutters, after depth is found that you think the crappie like. you can rais and lower the jig s and they will float slowly back down BAM fish attack

Post Thanks / Like

6lb Trilene for about 25 years. Too lazy to change, and I don't like braid.

Post Thanks / Like

6 or 8 lbs. panfish for me. You know my set up. you been watching me long enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro 10# braid on all my reels year round. I take that back. I do have one spinning reel that is spooled with 4# HiViz mono on a 6' Med Lite rod for pitching and shooting docks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

With Bob here, just switched to Power Pro and it slides through the eye's better than any I have tried. Jig is either one 1/8 oz. or two 1/16 oz year round. Play around with 1/32 oz in the spring for a slow drop but dipping tree's is the set-up above.
    2014 Crappie Masters Mark Twain Champion
    2 time CDC Truman Lake series points champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast