Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throw-pillow question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throw-pillow question

If I'm the only one in the boat, why do I have to have a throw-pillow?

There's no one to throw it to.

If I fall out of the boat, who's gonna throw it to me?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The throw type lifesaver has to be there because it's the LAW. Who knows when you might be thoughtfull enough to give someone in distress a ride to safety. With you in the water and the boat overturned, It could be the one floating devise that you first reach. I'll do you a favor and not comment on the possibility of a stranded lady. :D I just follow the law and throw it in . Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I may be off, but it was about 15-20 years ago that "throw" type lifepreservers became "legally unacceptable" in my wonderfull state of NJ. You must now have a wearable USCG TYPE III for each person on board. Some of those "throw" types were so bad they were not even good enough to sit on. However, some of the wearable TYPE III are so crummy they are not even good enough to start a fire. I think it is a good idea to have a GOOD version of the legal requirement and a GOOD throwable type. Ever try to throw a TYPE III more than 10 feet?
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll quote from the USCG publication "Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats" page 7, para 3

"All recreational boats must carry one Type 1, II, III or V PFD (wearable) for each person aboard. For Type V PFD's to be counted they must be used according to their label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one Type IV (Throwable) PFD."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    I'll quote from the USCG publication "Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats" page 7, para 3

"All recreational boats must carry one Type I, II, III or V PFD (wearable) for each person aboard. For Type V PFD's to be counted they must be used according to their label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one Type IV (Throwable) PFD."
    Thanks for the info. That is exactly the info I was looking for. Please note though, that it is not the last word. This is not a contradiction to you, slabbatical, but is a statement of fact.
    On Round Valley Reservoir in NJ nobody is ever checked for a throwable type. It is mandatory to have one type III (or type IV?) for each person. Throwables do not count, no matter what!!! I'll get back with details from the posting.
    I am not condoning that, I am just stating fact. As far as I know, Coast Guard regulations can be different on various fresh waters.
    This is all presented to the crappie.com people who may not be sure about their local regulations.
    CHECK YOUR LOCAL REGULATIONS YOURSELF!!! to be sure your fishing expedition is not ruined by the local law enforcement. Do I really have to say it is urgent to adhere to the local law AS A MINIMUM ?
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Coast Guard regulations are the same everywhere but states have their own boating laws, which can vary from Coast Guard regulations and from state to state. Coast Guard personnel use Coast Guard regulations but state and local law enforcement officers will probably use state, county or even city boating laws. Although the Coast Guard has jurisdiction on all federal waters they don't patrol all federal waters. Some lakes may be patrolled by Coast Guard officers, state Game and Fish personnel and/or local law enforcement officers. So, it would pay to find out who is enforcing what laws on the lake or river you're on and comply with federal, state and local boating laws.

Here in Arkansas we have an apparently little known law that states:

"Operating at a greater than no-wake speed within 100 feet of an anchored or moored vessel, shoreline, dock pier, swim float, marked swim area, swimmer, surfer, person engaged in angling or any manually propelled vessel is prohibited."

Speed limits are posted on the bridge columns on Hamilton but that is the only place they enforce the law and the Sheriff's Marine Patrol officers write a lot of tickets there.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have been checked by lake patrol several times and always one of the first things they look for is thowable PFD.

A suggestion that might be helpful it to contact local Coast Guard Auxillary for a FREE boat inspection. They have a check list of all equipment required for your boat. Give you a decal to post on windshield (or where ever). Lake patrol has noticed and not been as inquestive as when I did not have decal.

Just a thought
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...but it appears state laws "add to" not change USCG regulations.

same USCG pub listed above...page 1, para 1

"This pamphlet contains information about Federal Laws, equipment requirements and safety recommendations for recreational vesels. In addition to the requirements stated in this pamplet, the owner/operator may be required to comply with additional regulations specific to the state in which the vessel is registered or operated. State laws vary."

Post Thanks / Like

You will also want to check your state regulations on what is an acceptable location to carry them. In Missouri the lifejackets and throw cushion must be "accessible and wearable”, which means they can’t be stored in a storage compartment. They have to be out to where they can be reached and adjusted to fit the intended wearer. And as for the throw cushion I was told, by the state water patrol that I had to have the cushion and it had to be accessible for the other person that was out in a boat by himself and falls in the water beside where I’m fishing.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation PFD laws ....

in the state of KY, read as:
    (301 KAR 6:020)
    For each person onboard a vessel, federal as well as state law requires a Type 1, 2 or 3 personal flotation device on all boats. Boats 16 feet and over, except canoes/kayaks, must also carry one Type 4 throwable PFD (ring or cushion). Persons under 12 years of age must wear a PFD while in the open part of a boat while it is underway.
    PFD's must be accessable (not stored) or worn by occupants ...

Even though my previous two boats were <16ft in length ... I always equipped them with all the required devices, as though they were over that length limit. Better safe, than sorry ............. cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast